ESB

Conceal Carry Gear and Clothes

Posted this elsewhere but thought it would be helpful here as well:

Carrying a gun is a system. Appropriate gear combined with appropriate clothing that complement each other. 

Gear: 

It’s starts with a quality belt designed to carry a gun.

My recommended belts are:
• Nylon - Ares Gear Aegis
• Leather - Mean Gene Aegis or Bladetech Ultimate Carry Belt (which is really just a rebranded Kore ratcheting belt, or vice-versa)

Then a quality holster in the style you intend to carry (OWB, AIWB, IWB) - $15 Amazon holsters with don’t cut it.

My recommended holsters:
• AIWB - Tenicor
• IWB - JM Custom Kydex, Comp Tac
• OWB - Safariland, JM Custom Kydex, Blade Tech

The attachment of the holster to the belt is also important. I like Discrete Carry Concept Clips whenever possible. They are strong spring steel that pull the holster and gun in tight. I do not like plastic clips at all. 

Clothing:

You have to dress around your carry style and the particular firearm you are going to carry. The clothes should be “gray” as well as weather and situation appropriate. They need to be able to conceal what you are carrying and should be easy to move to get to your gun.

Size pants accordingly if IWB or AIWB - I wear size 36 waist but buy 38 because I carry AIWB daily.

Size your tops accordingly to they hang over, but are loose enough to pull up and get to the gun on the drawstroke. 

I also like to wear a black Underarmor type shirt as a base layer. It keeps the gun off my body and has no wrinkles that would create hot spots. It also makes my black gun less noticeable than it would be against my skin or a light colored undershirt. 

This approach took me many years to get to but it works. No matter what you do, it will sometimes be uncomfortable, it will sometimes be difficult, but this method minimizes those times for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:18 PM, ESB said:

Anyone wear undershirts when they carry?  Was thinking a black undershirt would make it more difficult to notice you were carrying if your outer garment lifts up exposing your gun.  Assuming you have a black gun.  Would want something tight that wouldn't get caught in the holster or be grabbed when lifting up your outer shirt in a hurry, but also long enough so it stays tucked.  

Not a direct answer, but I find that black t shirts tend to hide printing better than lighter colored shirts.

Thought I would give an update:

I tried a few belts and really like the Kore Essentials X2 belt.  It is a ratcheting style belt that is super easy and quick to adjust.  You get a lot more precise adjustments with this style belt, plus if you need to adjust it, its super quick and easy.  You don't have to pull the belt end out of a loop in order to put it in another hole.  Can adjust it without anyone noticing in about a second with one hand.  

More importantly the Kore X2 belt buckle is flat and thin.  This makes it so that it doesn't protrude or print.  I tried a Hanks belt which has a larger round tube around the adjuster to protect the belt from cracking where you adjust it.  This makes the buckle protrude VERY conspicuously and is made worse when wearing an AIWB holster.  It pretty much screams you have something under there.  

The kydex holsters I got came with belt loops, instead of clips.  Someone recommended Quick Clips.I tried them and they were complete garbage.  Did not secure the holster to the belt on the draw.  I ended up Grip Hook Holster Clips and really like them.  I've used them at a few IDPA matches now without any issues.  

For undershirt I use a black synthetic stay tuck tight undershirt and really like it as well.  They are a little longer than normal and the synthetic material allows them to stretch when moving instead of being pulled out like cotton would.  They are also very comfortable in all weather conditions.  I got V-neck so that it doesn't show under anything I wear.  They are so comfortable and I pretty much wear them as undershirts everyday now regardless of if I'm CCW or not.  

I AIWB a single stack 3.3" compact and even with tight t-shirts, as long as they are long enough there is virtually no printing.  If I'm ever concerned about printing, I can lean forward a little bit or suck my gut in a little bit and there is no concern that the firearm itself is printing even with a relatively tight shirt. I'm tall and skinny (for my age ;) ) so the issue is making sure my outer shirt is long enough.  For the most part the concern would be exposing the belt clips and someone seeing that.  I tried to AIWB with my Glock 17 and its too thick, making it more uncomfortable and noticeable.  The thickness seemed to be more of an issue than the barrel length.  The extra length is only issue when sitting down.  One of those "holster claws" that tucks the grip of the gun closer to your body really helped with the extra length of the grip from printing. The Holster Claw added a negligible amount of discomfort, but did make it harder to draw the gun since it was so close to the body.  Makes slipping your hand around the gun harder.  Obviously, a Glock 19 would be more ideal for AIWB, but when I got my G17 I never imagined we'd be able to carry in NJ.  

I did notice that lighter colored, thinner and/or shinier (synthetic) outer shirts make printing more noticeable.  Darker non-shiny thicker shirts seem to hide any printing pretty well.   

With the single stack compact gun AIWB, I did not have to adjust my pant size at all.  IWB my Glock and 1911 was a little more snug.  Doable, but maybe a size larger would be better for me but I haven't tried it yet (I haven't IWB my bigger guns, just OWB).    

I've tried some CCW sweatshirts that were on sale.  Rothco CC Hoodie and Vertx Hardside Hoody.  They have pass through holes to access your CCW inconspicuously from inside your pockets.  They are OK.  The ones I got are synthetic so are shiny and so more easily show printing.  Stick with darker colors to help with that.  Also the outside pocket opening on the Rotcho was not big enough to allow the gun to be easily and quickly removed from the pocket.  A little ripping of the stitching to open it up fixed this.  The Rothco has a kangaroo pocket just had a slit in the middle of it to access the gun.  This works well for accessing it, but anything in your pocket will fall through in no time.  I have Vertx is a zip up sweatshirt that has inside zippers.  This works well to keep things inside the pocket, but takes a little time to unzip and makes a little noise when you do so.   Not ideal. 

Both sweatshirts are longer than normal making concealing very easy.  They both also have an extra material at the bottom that keeps the gun from catching on it.  The material also has the added benefit of sticking to your shirt underneath it so when you grab the sweatshirt to move it out of the way on the draw, the shirt under it will also go with it.  Both are very comfortable.  The Vertx has a thicker outer layer that could probably be used as a light jacket in light rain or wind.  

I still need to find more outer shirts to wear as well as how to comfortably IWB my larger guns at the 3 o'clock position.  

Gear question: I don't have much room under the seat in my vehicle for a lock box (especially one big enough to hold the gun in the holster). What is the consensus about glove boxes (locked) and center console (lockable with aftermarket kit)? The guy at Shooters talked about using a towel under the seat but I have a hard time believing that's a better option than locking it in the glove box. I also don't buy the "first place someone will look is the glove box" argument. Under the seat is the second or third place so at that point what's the difference? I also don't really something that goes next to the center console and screams "there's a gun in here".

If you have a center console there are safes that go inside it and b

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Gear question: I don't have much room under the seat in my vehicle for a lock box (especially one big enough to hold the gun in the holster). What is the consensus about glove boxes (locked) and center console (lockable with aftermarket kit)? The guy at Shooters talked about using a towel under the seat but I have a hard time believing that's a better option than locking it in the glove box. I also don't buy the "first place someone will look is the glove box" argument. Under the seat is the second or third place so at that point what's the difference? I also don't really something that goes next to the center console and screams "there's a gun in here".

olt in

It's not UnderArmour, but the concealed carry aisle at your local Walmart stocks these polyester base layers for $7.48, in a variety of sizes and colors.   Go down a size from what you're used to, for a snug fit.  They run long, so they stay tucked in.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athletic-Works-Men-s-Active-Core-Short-Sleeve-T-Shirt-Size-S-3XL/832673974

• Like 1

I just went through my summer button down shirts and I have to say I was pretty darn surprised that they all concealed well for carrying AIWB (plus with a spare mag up front!). Different colors, patterns (or lack thereof), fit, etc. I know conventional wisdom suggests darker colors with patterns that break up the lines and I agree with that by overall I had a hard time seeing outline on any of them. Some are a shorter cut than others so I definitely need to be aware when reaching up. I was planning on buying a bunch of shirts but now I think I will probably only pick up a couple. YMMV.

• Informative 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, CMJeepster said:

Been using plain jane SnapSafes in all my vehicles.  Get em on sale for around $20.  They fit under the seats easily.   Only problems I see with them are that they sometimes get hung up trying to pull out based on the car they are in.   And that you need to tuck the cable under the seat sometimes so it does not advertise that it is there.  They keys go on a QD keyring on the cars key.  I only use them for short storage when having to go to prohibited area for carry.  I don't consider any of these hard side boxes with cables to be a safe, they are all easily defeated if you are prepared, they pretty much just stop a smash and grab thief.  They also work well for airline travel and the cable can be looped onto the inside frame of luggage.

Just wondering in Jersey, can you put your CCW in a box under a seat or will it have to be in the trunk unloaded?  I left NJ before the ability to get a CCW became a expensive and difficult reality.  And I don't expect to see any reciprocity in my lifetime.

11 hours ago, revenger said:

I'm looking for a bellyband for a s&w 442 ,  this is a hammerless revolver.   I have a comfort band which works great for glock 43x and 42 but the smith doesnt have the hammer to grab.

thanks

PHLSTER has an Enigma Express holster for S&W J-Frame.  

I've been meaning to mention LA Police Gear Terrain Flex jeans for concealed carry.  They come in relaxed, regular, and slim fit, with a bit of elastic in the waistband to help with IWB holsters, and they have lots of pockets for pens, knives, flashlights, spare mags, and such.  The first couple of pairs I ordered were a couple of inches larger at the waist to accommodate an IWB holster, but they turned out to be way too big, and when I reordered in my usual size they worked out fine.  The only negative that I can think of is that they are made in China. 

Also, with the warmer weather approaching, I wanted to mention that LA Police Gear makes Everyday Joe shorts, which have lot of pockets, but without the often sloppy look of cargo shorts. 

Just bought a really nice OWB leather holster from We the People Holsters.  I have carried for several years with various IWB holsters, and I realized that I'm not sure what kind of cover garment to wear with an OWB holster.  For those more knowledgeable, would the OWB be better in cooler weather, under a long flannel shirt, a hoodie, or something like that?  I'm kind of slim, and I'm thinking I would have a hard time concealing it under summer clothing. 

On 4/28/2023 at 9:06 AM, Old Glock guy said:

I've been meaning to mention LA Police Gear Terrain Flex jeans for concealed carry.  They come in relaxed, regular, and slim fit, with a bit of elastic in the waistband to help with IWB holsters, and they have lots of pockets for pens, knives, flashlights, spare mags, and such.  The first couple of pairs I ordered were a couple of inches larger at the waist to accommodate an IWB holster, but they turned out to be way too big, and when I reordered in my usual size they worked out fine.  The only negative that I can think of is that they are made in China. 

Also, with the warmer weather approaching, I wanted to mention that LA Police Gear makes Everyday Joe shorts, which have lot of pockets, but without the often sloppy look of cargo shorts. 

i ordered a pair of these to try. i've been happy with my other lapg stuff, so hopefully these'll be the same.

41 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Just bought a really nice OWB leather holster from We the People Holsters.  I have carried for several years with various IWB holsters, and I realized that I'm not sure what kind of cover garment to wear with an OWB holster.  For those more knowledgeable, would the OWB be better in cooler weather, under a long flannel shirt, a hoodie, or something like that?  I'm kind of slim, and I'm thinking I would have a hard time concealing it under summer clothing. 

I tend to just stick with IWB. I am thin too so OWB doesn't always work. What clock position are you looking to do? In cooler weather rear IWB conceals just fine with an outer shirt, sweatshirt/hoodie, flannel shirt, etc.

So far I have run AIWB for summer shirts as it seems to conceal better but I do think I need to try rear IWB more. I typically wear button down shirts with patterns, though some of the plain ones work fine for concealing too.

One thing's for sure, I can't carry at 9 (3 for righties) at all regardless of the clothing over it.

I almost always carry IWB just behind my right hip, at 4:00.  Gun seems to disappear there.  I have occasionally tried AWIB, and while the draw is generally faster from there, I don't like that the barrel points at ones fermoral artery and other important stuff in that position.  As others have noted, a little printing does not seem to be much of a concern, but OWB with summer clothing the bulge would be pretty noticeable.  I'm thinking it's going to work better with heavier clothing in cooler weather. 

ok. so what i did, seeing as i can't just walk into a store and try things on like in the old days.......i ordered vertx, 5.11, and la police gear jeans. i have cargo pants from 5.11 and la police gear. the 5.11's were my work pants at the shop for nearly 10 years. and they took the beating with ease. i still own all of those. i've been using a couple pairs of lapg cargo pants for casual wear. again, they take a bit of a beating. i have zero experience with vertx. i figure whichever ones feel the most comfortable i'll keep, and send the other 2 back.

• Like 1

Anyone looking for base layers to help stay cool during summertime - 32 Degrees is having a memorial day sale.  

https://www.32degrees.com/collections/mens-32-cool?selectedFacets[]=category%3At shirts %26 tanks&sort_by=manual&compactView=true&page=1

ok. all of the jeans showed up today. been wearing the 5.11's with the tags still hanging for a couple hours now. super comfortable. holster fits in nicely, deep front pockets. the back pockets seem a little shallow relatively speaking. i can't wear them tomorrow to work, 'cause the tag says the color will run, wash before wearing, etc.....but i think i like em. gonna try the vertx next.

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

been wearing the 5.11's with the tags still hanging for a couple hours now

Heh, when I hear a jean with a number name, I think Levi's, but then I think it couldn't be and looked it up.

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

Heh, when I hear a jean with a number name, I think Levi's, but then I think it couldn't be and looked it up.

i gotta correct myself though....it was the lapg jeans, lol.   i own plenty of levis that i've bought over the years, but i'm not gonna toss them because of the current bs. that'd just be stupid. i simply won't buy their stuff anymore.

I'm starting to carry regularly and I'm looking for advice in 2 areas:

1 - I carry AIWB.  My "sweet spot" for concealment without printing through T-shirts is right about 1:30 (12:00 being my front centerline).

However, this position puts the lower edge of my kydex holsters right into the crease where my thigh meets my hip.  It's really getting uncomfortable and raw in that area between driving and sitting, so I need to do something.  I've been considering something along the lines of gluing a fold of moleskin over the lower edge of the holster, or stretching a sock or similar over the bottom half of the holster.

Any other ideas?

2 - A car lockbox.  I've been looking around and haven't found what I want yet.  My criteria:

- Has to have a "stout" cable (something that can't be snipped with a common hand tool like a big wire cutters or linesman pliers)
- No electronic anything - No biometrics, no electronic touchpad etc.  All mechanisms have to be purely mechanical
- I'd *REALLY* like it to have a simplex-type pushbutton lock that I can operate in the dark/by feel
- Big enough to fit a Glock 19 with Optic in a holster and an extra mag
- Narrow enough to fit completely under my car seat (I need to measure to find out exactly how much height I have).

Any suggestions for my criteria?

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

1 - I carry AIWB.  My "sweet spot" for concealment without printing through T-shirts is right about 1:30 (12:00 being my front centerline).

However, this position puts the lower edge of my kydex holsters right into the crease where my thigh meets my hip.  It's really getting uncomfortable and raw in that area between driving and sitting, so I need to do something.  I've been considering something along the lines of gluing a fold of moleskin over the lower edge of the holster, or stretching a sock or similar over the bottom half of the holster.

Any other ideas?

2 - A car lockbox.  I've been looking around and haven't found what I want yet.  My criteria:

- Has to have a "stout" cable (something that can't be snipped with a common hand tool like a big wire cutters or linesman pliers)
- No electronic anything - No biometrics, no electronic touchpad etc.  All mechanisms have to be purely mechanical
- I'd *REALLY* like it to have a simplex-type pushbutton lock that I can operate in the dark/by feel
- Narrow enough to fit completely under my car seat (I need to measure to find out exactly how much height I have).

Try using a Hybrid Leather/kydex holster?  This way it'll be softer material against your thigh/hip crease?  That's why I have Crossbreed Reckoning holsters for AIWB.

For the lockbox - I just use an AmazonBasics one.  Cheaper and seemingly better quality than the Gunvault NanoVault I previously had.  mechanical combo lock - it's not a simplex pushbutton, but it is mechanical, and it's inexpensive.  It fits perfectly under my car seat on multiple cars.  It'll fit a G19 easy... you can get larger ones too if you're worried about putting in the holster/mag as well.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K3FJHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any other ideas?

i carry the left handed equilivent of what you are. i clip my holster(tulster) just to the between the last beltloop and the left side of the fly. that puts the pistol at about my 1130. i'm sitting here typing this with it mounted. the muzzle is slightly inboard of that crease you mentioned. what kind of holster you running? maybe move it slightly more towards 12? or set your angle slightly differently?

Any other ideas?

For the holster question, I like your ideas. When I carry AIWB it's actually fairly comfortable seated/sitting (I am wrong-handed, which equates to about 10:30 for me) but when I get in the car I also pull the holster up a smidge and pull my shirt over the seat belt to minimize access time. (Side question: are you carrying AIWB with one in the pipe?)

On the lock box question, you should definitely try to measure the space beneath the seat and make sure you can return anything you buy (if it looks tight you could mock up whatever you are considering buying with wood). The space under the seat is usually somewhat irregularly shaped and may have wires, harnesses, brackets, etc. that can get in the way. Plus you need something to loop the cable around. Also, I wanted to be able pull the box out and push it back it while seated in the car with the door shut, which can be quite challenging (cable coils oddly or gets snagged, box doesn't go back in smoothly, etc.).

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I carry AIWB as well. There are a few solutions here:

1) Get a Tenicor holster (this is what I use daily) They build a wedge shape into the holster that, when combined with their DCC Clips, help alleviate what you are describing.

2) Buy a holster wedge pad:

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/what-is-a-wedge-do-i-need-a-wedge/

Quite a few companies make them (Tier One Concealed, Phlster, and a bunch of others)

3) Buy a yoga block and use a razor blade to make your own wedge, then glue/Velcro it to your holster. You can experiment and see what you like. Change sizes, shapes and thickness until you find what you like.