Jump to content
ESB

Conceal Carry Gear and Clothes

Recommended Posts

I am going to be getting a gun belt, specfically a brown and black leather belt. I already have a 511 belt from work that I could use for carry. As for clothing, I plan on using the same clothes I own. My pants run a size big on me so that should help me with inside the waistband carry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, always_an_eagle said:

I am going to be getting a gun belt, specfically a brown and black leather belt. I already have a 511 belt from work that I could use for carry. As for clothing, I plan on using the same clothes I own. My pants run a size big on me so that should help me with inside the waistband carry. 

I have been running 5.11 conceal carry belts for years. They are awesome and recommend them to everyone interested in CCW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, marlintag said:

I have been running 5.11 conceal carry belts for years. They are awesome and recommend them to everyone interested in CCW. 

I assume these are the 5.11 leather belts?  I just bought a 5.11 nylon belt, thinking it might be useful for casual summer carry.  It's fine as a belt, but it's pretty flimsy--no real resistance to twisting or bending.

It was inexpensive enough that I may keep it as a belt, but I don't see it being useful as a gun belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go one size up on pants - I've been buying a size large to accommodate.  Buy a belt a size or 2 large as well - I use a Hanks Stitched Gunner belt - it's leather, and stiffer so it definitely holds holsters via clips properly.  Hanks says go 2 sizes larger for CCW... I agree.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/hanks-gunner-stitched-concealed-carry-belt?variant=15585580742

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ESB said:

How do you CC comfortably?  What do you wear, what should you look for, what works for you

Normal everyday clothing.  Pants are a size larger to accommodate the IWB holster. 

For belts, I use a Bullbelt Distressed American Bison Steel Core or a Black Crossbreed Executive Gun Belt.

See also: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this sounds odd, but I usually take pics of how my clothes look with my CCW before I leave the house. 
 

Not making a fashion statement by any means, I just make sure I’m not obviously printing, or that the color of the shirt doesn’t expose my gun. 
 

Ignore the wrinkled shirt, lol. 

F5A07957-703A-42E4-AD2F-CC4540BF22CD.jpeg

8A4C6BC5-86C4-4B0A-9DA8-CA3D18C9EF86.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 10X said:

I assume these are the 5.11 leather belts?  I just bought a 5.11 nylon belt, thinking it might be useful for casual summer carry.  It's ne as a belt, but it's pretty flimsy--no real resistance to twisting or bending.

It was inexpensive enough that I may keep it as a belt, but I don't see it being useful as a gun belt.

Yes, i meant to say the 5.11 leather belts. I have a few of the covert models for CCW, the leather belts are no joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I know this sounds odd, but I usually take pics of how my clothes look with my CCW before I leave the house. 
 

Not making a fashion statement by any means, I just make sure I’m not obviously printing, or that the color of the shirt doesn’t expose my gun. 
 

Ignore the wrinkled shirt, lol. 

F5A07957-703A-42E4-AD2F-CC4540BF22CD.jpeg

8A4C6BC5-86C4-4B0A-9DA8-CA3D18C9EF86.jpeg

You back in Japan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, ESB said:

How do you CC comfortably?  What do you wear, what should you look for, what works for you, what didn't work for you, etc?  Assume we are total noobs (we are) and know nothing.  ;)  

Biggest problem I have is with shirts.  Many are too short, many are too tight and tend to bunch up on the firearm when lifting above your head and putting your arms back down,  You do not want to keep fiddling with your clothing, that will draw attention.  Where I'm at in SW FL, its T shirts and shorts 99% of the time.  At least in Jersey, in the winter. you could OWB wearing a jacket.  Might also want to think about pocket carry for some situations.  Comes in handy when you want to take your shirt off, for a walk on the beach or in the park.  Then you will learn which of your shorts don't have deep enough pockets.

Belts should be 1 1/2 in, stiff, and sized much larger then belts you regularly buy in the store for your waist size.  Follow the sizing guide from whatever company you are going to buy from and you will be fine.

Position you carry in is going to take a bit for you to figure out for comfort and concealment.  I'm not one for appendix just look at where that thing is pointing.  And I don't find it comfortable when driving..  I typically go 4-5 O’Clock, or pocket.  Some of the grips on pistols are quite aggressive and will be uncomfortable with rubbing in some positions.  An undershirt can help with this if you live in a area where you layer clothing.

Holsters are another thing.  I remember in a GFH class, Anthony brought out a box of unused holsters he had that were no longer used.  Looked like a lot of trial and error.  For IWB I've been using Alien Gear Shapeshift 4.0 or Cloak Tuck 3.5.  I find they do not rub, and are easy to adjust for depth and tilt.  I'm sure there are many brands just a good.

Carrying a spare mag?  I've been using  universal magazine pouches made of neoprene, easily found on Amazon.  These work well and can be had for a fraction of the cost of that molded mag carrier for only 1 specific magazine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaveR said:

Biggest problem I have is with shirts.  Many are too short, many are too tight and tend to bunch up on the firearm when lifting above your head and putting your arms back down,  You do not want to keep fiddling with your clothing, that will draw attention.  Where I'm at in SW FL, its T shirts and shorts 99% of the time.  At least in Jersey, in the winter. you could OWB wearing a jacket.  Might also want to think about pocket carry for some situations.  Comes in handy when you want to take your shirt off, for a walk on the beach or in the park.  Then you will learn which of your shorts don't have deep enough pockets.

Belts should be 1 1/2 in, stiff, and sized much larger then belts you regularly buy in the store for your waist size.  Follow the sizing guide from whatever company you are going to buy from and you will be fine.

Position you carry in is going to take a bit for you to figure out for comfort and concealment.  I'm not one for appendix just look at where that thing is pointing.  And I don't find it comfortable when driving..  I typically go 4-5 O’Clock, or pocket.  Some of the grips on pistols are quite aggressive and will be uncomfortable with rubbing in some positions.  An undershirt can help with this if you live in a area where you layer clothing.

Holsters are another thing.  I remember in a GFH class, Anthony brought out a box of unused holsters he had that were no longer used.  Looked like a lot of trial and error.  For IWB I've been using Alien Gear Shapeshift 4.0 or Cloak Tuck 3.5.  I find they do not rub, and are easy to adjust for depth and tilt.  I'm sure there are many brands just a good.

Carrying a spare mag?  I've been using  universal magazine pouches made of neoprene, easily found on Amazon.  These work well and can be had for a fraction of the cost of that molded mag carrier for only 1 specific magazine. 

 

I'm lucky with shirts. I used to buy long sized shirts for work, because even though it wasn't "labor" work, I had to do quite a bit of bending, and I hated coming untucked. I've shrunk a good inch in height since I retired, I've also lost some musculature. So I have quite a few shirts that I no longer wear because they are too long and blousy. Should be just right to wear unticked over IWB carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to make sure we are all on the same page re sizes: Going one mens pants size larger to me, means two inches of waist size, i.e., going from a 38 waist to a 40 waist, even though sometimes pants can be had in odd number waist sizes (I've never seen a 39, but I used to own a couple pair of 37s). Two sizes would be going from 38 to 42. Is that the consensus? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An extra inch or two is about right.  It will be effected by holster used, weapon carried, and carry position.  Best is to get a holster for what you will carry, and try it out in different positions, then you will know better how much extra room you will need.  Carry around your house regularly, with a loaded mag.  I wouldn't suggest one in the pipe at first, it's mainly to get used to the weight and if that carry position will work for you.  Do everything you would normally do.  You will also get a good idea how your clothing choices will work or not   Get used to it to the point you no longer think about it.  When you finally go out into the real world, remember no one knows it is there, no one is looking at you funny, by now you should have it in your ideal position, and you are past the touching and adjusting phase.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I know this sounds odd, but I usually take pics of how my clothes look with my CCW before I leave the house. 
 

Not making a fashion statement by any means, I just make sure I’m not obviously printing, or that the color of the shirt doesn’t expose my gun. 
 

Ignore the wrinkled shirt, lol. 

F5A07957-703A-42E4-AD2F-CC4540BF22CD.jpeg

8A4C6BC5-86C4-4B0A-9DA8-CA3D18C9EF86.jpeg

what holter ya using? i need one to ride a bit higher like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samiam said:

Just to make sure we are all on the same page re sizes: Going one mens pants size larger to me, means two inches of waist size, i.e., going from a 38 waist to a 40 waist, even though sometimes pants can be had in odd number waist sizes (I've never seen a 39, but I used to own a couple pair of 37s). Two sizes would be going from 38 to 42. Is that the consensus? Thanks.

what we hafta be careful with on this though, is that (for instance) 5.11 38 waist will fit different than lee or levis jeans.....it seems that all brands fit differently.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple belts from thirty dollar gun belt. Stiff, 1 1/2" and can get them a few dollars cheaper on clearance. Their website gives instructions for proper sizing. I have a Crossbreed MiniTuck for my Shield 45, and a iwb holster for my 642 from Braid' S. Wear both at 3:30, obviously only around the property. Crossbreed takes longer to get used to,  but both are comfortable. Sometimes use a Remora with the 642 for pocket carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

what holter ya using? i need one to ride a bit higher like that.

That one was a MFT holster for a Glock 19. I like it when I wear a thicker belt. The only thing I don’t like about that holster is that it does not accommodate a light on my pistol. 
 

Lately, I’ve been carrying with a Tenicor Certium Lux2 for a G19/TLR7A. I really like that one.  The retention clips are hard on a belt, but it’s nice and secure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, samiam said:

Just to make sure we are all on the same page re sizes: Going one mens pants size larger to me, means two inches of waist size, i.e., going from a 38 waist to a 40 waist, even though sometimes pants can be had in odd number waist sizes (I've never seen a 39, but I used to own a couple pair of 37s). Two sizes would be going from 38 to 42. Is that the consensus? Thanks.

I've never bought pants for accommodating a IWB holster at 4 o'clock, and all but the very tightest old pants (that are at least a size too small for me now) will still comfortably allow me to carry IWB.  Apparently since no one involved in manufacturing pants knows what that pesky "inches" 'standard' is, they just guess at sizes. (34? 40? What's the difference?)  As long as you err on the larger size for anything that is borderline fitting how you prefer, you might be fine.  You may feel differently, and perhaps a different holster would change my opinion, but my normal size pants allow an Amberide IWB holster for a Glock 23 (no weaponlight) and an IWB holster for a Kimber Pepperblaster.  I do tend to prefer my belt tight, so take that into account.

I just removed the holster and slid my hand down to my knuckles in its place.  Your gun/holster may be different, but if you can sit, stand, crouch, and lean while doing the same, without it being excessively tight, that may be enough room.  I honestly don't notice the G23 much of the time.  YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

what we hafta be careful with on this though, is that (for instance) 5.11 38 waist will fit different than lee or levis jeans.....it seems that all brands fit differently.

I understand that. I just wanted to confirm whether, when posters are talking about increasing "one size", they are talking about one additional inch at the waist, or a single step in commonly available off-the-rack sizes, which is typically 2 inches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I've never bought pants for accommodating a IWB holster at 4 o'clock, and all but the very tightest old pants (that are at least a size too small for me now) will still comfortably allow me to carry IWB.  Apparently since no one involved in manufacturing pants knows what that pesky "inches" 'standard' is, they just guess at sizes. (34? 40? What's the difference?)  As long as you err on the larger size for anything that is borderline fitting how you prefer, you might be fine.  You may feel differently, and perhaps a different holster would change my opinion, but my normal size pants allow an Amberide IWB holster for a Glock 23 (no weaponlight) and an IWB holster for a Kimber Pepperblaster.  I do tend to prefer my belt tight, so take that into account.

I just removed the holster and slid my hand down to my knuckles in its place.  Your gun/holster may be different, but if you can sit, stand, crouch, and lean while doing the same, without it being excessively tight, that may be enough room.  I honestly don't notice the G23 much of the time.  YMMV

I bought a Falco IWB holster for my SP101, that I intend to carry at 11 o'clock or ~2 o'clock (cross draw). As a test, I bought a pair of $5 shorts from Goodwill that are 42 waist (I reliably take a 38). I buy Levi/Lee/Wrangler carpenter shorts, and the test shorts are the same, so sizing is fairly consistent. The 42s with my well-broken-in Carrhardt 1-1/2 inch heavy(ish) leather work belt (dunno what nominal size, I bought it when I was heavier, and have had to punch at least three smaller holes as I lost weight over the years) accomodated my pistol and holster with some room to spare, so I will try 40 waist shorts next. Everything stayed put when drawing from both waist positions when standing and seated, and the draw itself was pretty good, so I think I'm on the right track. I have no objection to buying a new belt dedicated to carry, but if the Carrhardt works well, why should I bother? The acid test should be when I wear it to my NRA CCW class at the end of the month. 

Ha! I think I got that backward. I'm not left-handed, but I do have a slight predisposition toward dislexia :) I probably should have written "I intend to carry at 1 o'clock or ~10 o'clock (cross draw)"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the topic "concealed carry clothing" amusing.  No special clothing needed although you have to consider some things.

I've concealed carried almost 50 years in over 40 states. Regular clothes is all you need.  Now if you're into wearing tight tshirts like "Mike the Situation"  it gets harder to concealed a handgun.

I think too many make an issue over "printing".  When I was working I've flown over 100 times on commercial aircraft and no one ever saw my handgun.  I'm sure there were many states I've been in had "printing laws"  but I've never been challenged.

I usually wear an OWB holster strong side and one magazine weak side OWB.  If I'm carrying a revolver it would be a speedloader and 2x2 pouch strong side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samiam said:

I understand that. I just wanted to confirm whether, when posters are talking about increasing "one size", they are talking about one additional inch at the waist, or a single step in commonly available off-the-rack sizes, which is typically 2 inches. 

One step - I wear 36 normally.  38 is my one size up.  Holster/Gun definitely fits much more comfortably with my gut/love handles with one size up.

8 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I've never bought pants for accommodating a IWB holster at 4 o'clock, and all but the very tightest old pants (that are at least a size too small for me now) will still comfortably allow me to carry IWB.  Apparently since no one involved in manufacturing pants knows what that pesky "inches" 'standard' is, they just guess at sizes. (34? 40? What's the difference?)  As long as you err on the larger size for anything that is borderline fitting how you prefer, you might be fine.  You may feel differently, and perhaps a different holster would change my opinion, but my normal size pants allow an Amberide IWB holster for a Glock 23 (no weaponlight) and an IWB holster for a Kimber Pepperblaster.  I do tend to prefer my belt tight, so take that into account.

I just removed the holster and slid my hand down to my knuckles in its place.  Your gun/holster may be different, but if you can sit, stand, crouch, and lean while doing the same, without it being excessively tight, that may be enough room.  I honestly don't notice the G23 much of the time.  YMMV

You're also a skinny guy compared to most of us LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shocker said:

Vertx has some pretty slick CCW clothes, including pants with hidden elastic that lets them fit both with and without a holster, without puckering. 

All of that is fine but are you going to wear those  all the time?  Like a restaurant that has a business casual dress code or with a sport jacket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear Wrangler work pants on a regular basis. They do have cargo pockets, but they don’t scream ‘tactical’. 
They scream ‘this guy works for a living’. 
 

I don’t keep my pockets bulging with stuff, my EDC is pretty minimal, and I try to look as nonchalant as possible. Regular old working schlub. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Really?  I wear 'em pretty much every day - nobody notices.  They just look like cargo pants.

I’d say that you’re probably right, MOST people don’t notice. 
Put yourself in the shoes of a criminal, and think about the things you would notice about people. I bet tactical pants are one of those things. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...