H2oVento

So can I leave a gun in my car now?

Ok so we can carry now, but has the ruling changed anything with having a gun in the car. 

My friend went from his house with 2 rifles and 2 hand guns to the range. All of them secure as per NJ standards. When he left the range he stopped at shop rite and than got some ice cream. He did not go directly home. So as per the SCOUTS decision he is carrying just not concealed on his person. Is my friend ok to do that? 

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

No.  Without a NJ carry permit you can not legally transport handguns "anywhere you want" within the state of NJ in your car.  You legally still have to be within the exemptions.

and with one?

3 hours ago, H2oVento said:

When he left the range he stopped at shop rite and than got some ice cream. He did not go directly home.

3 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

My friend was sitting on the bench next to her car. I would not call that unattended. 

What are they putting in ice cream nowadays? :shok:

Alrighty, it's probably not that big of a deal if it can be considered a reasonable deviation for being hungry... wouldn't make a habit out of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ok so we can carry now

You always "could" carry, so that hasn't changed.  What has changed is that states can no longer require proof of need to issue.  In NJ you still have to go through the process.

has the ruling changed anything with having a gun in the car.

Not at all.

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

You always "could" carry, so that hasn't changed.  What has changed is that states can no longer require proof of need to issue.  In NJ you still have to go through the process.

Not at all.

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf

"directly to and from a range" 

so a ccw is needed to stop in between with a firearm locked in the trunk

On 7/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, H2oVento said:

I don't think you like my topic

What's not to like? 

Bruen stated clear as day that you have a right to carry a handgun in public, and the state has a right to licensing requirements that provide that pathway for non prohibited persons. 

Without a license to carry, nothing changes with respect to transporting firearms. 

Even with a license, you may be limited to what handguns are associated with your carry permit. 

Omg.  You are permitted to make reasonable deviations from exempt locations.   You need food fuel any necessities that are reasonable.  You are exempt.  If you have a fpid card.  You can carry a long rifle all day everyday with you. Hell legally.  You can walk down any roadway with a long gun and its legal.  If you have first obtained a nj fpid card.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The original question was "So can I leave a gun in my car now?"

Was that ever illegal?  Transporting by car was illegal so it was illegal to take it to the supermarket and to bring it home from the supermarket but I don't think it was ever illegal to have it in the car at the supermarket.

I realize that's useless because you can't leave it in the car if you can't get it there in the first place but now that getting it there is legal (with a carry permit), I would think that leaving it in the car is legal - since that was never illegal.

If your workplace doesn't allow you to carry at work but you want to carry on the way there and the way home, I think you can leave it locked up in your car.  But, I'm not a lawyer.

10 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

Even with a ccw, that applies only to the hand gun you are carrying on you. Transporting any other firearm still has not changed 

One on my hip and one in the console.  Why wouldn't the CCW permit allow that?  I'd think you can transport all the handguns you want, as long as they are all included with your CCW permit.

1 hour ago, Carolina Native said:

One on my hip and one in the console.  Why wouldn't the CCW permit allow that?  I'd think you can transport all the handguns you want, as long as they are all included with your CCW permit.

Incorrect, that is not what a ccw allows. Your state has to have different transport laws to allow that. The ccw does not change how to transport a gun. It only grants you access to carry a gun. If you have a gun on you, with current nj laws, if you go to a place that does not allow them, you would be breaking the law if you left it in your car.