ESB

Appendix carry or 4O'clock

I prefer 3 o'clock.

What I don't like about 4 o'clock is the way the butt will stick out when I bend forward, say to pick something up.

Appendix, I just can't get comfortable at all. Either the gun is too low and pokes me when I sit, or it is so high that it flops around above my belt. Maybe a need some 'old guy' pants with a higher waistband.

I think a lot of it depends on the shape of you. When I used to 4 o’clock it was unmistakable that I had something there, perhaps bc I’m sorta skinny. AIWB with a well designed holster I forget it’s there

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i can't get a holster to ride high enough for me to get a comfortable grip when drawing

I can’t remember the brand (crossbreed?) but there are some deep carry clips that have multiple holes for adjusting ride height. I think you can get them by themselves if you have a holster you like and just want it to ride higher 

ETA: for example https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/j-clip-2-0.html

I'm favoring 4 o'clock carry, with the grip canted well forward.  It prints less behind my hip, and the forward cant reduces printing even more, and also puts the grip right where my hand naturally goes when I reach for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJack said:

I am trying to get used to this kydex IWB with G26.. cannot seem to find comfortable spot. Appendix, pokes into junk and pokes into belly. 3'clock - prints and pokes into upper side when I sit.  Any tips ?

I've carried IWB at 4 oclock for at least a year at home with a G23 in a cheap single clip Amberide holster. I dunno if your holster has adjustable cant, but if so, see if there is a more comfortable position, I prefer a more angled cant when possible. Also, I dunno how tight your belt may be, but if you loosen it, it may help by allowing just enough flex without being too loose. Also experiment with position, honestly half an inch difference may be way more comfortable.

Seeing how I am home, printing has been less an issue so far. I may have to rethink the other things I carry on my belt, which likely do affect printing and pulling up the shirt, like my phone, leatherman, and kimber pepperblaster, all are carried from my 3 to 6 oclock. I know the kimber gets exposed sometimes in public, so I gotta figure out something better. I'm also tall, so I may need to start getting longer shirts that may be less likely to ride up when sitting.

I got holsters for both options for my CC guns. From what I have experimented carrying on my property, I do enjoy carrying my J frame AIWB with a Harry's Holster Icon. It has a DCC clip on it where you can carry in gym shorts/ sweatpaints or without a belt. Excuse the messy photo

Photos.zip

• Like 1

Been AIWB carrying since I left NJ.  Tier1 Axis Elite all the way for Zev OZ9c and G48MOS

It's nice to have your gun at centerline, easier to draw, easier to conceal and easier to protect if it gets physical. 

It's not for everyone though as not everyone has the same built.  If you've been enjoying that awesome NJ Italian food a little too much, it's going to he hard to draw that gun from under your beer belly.  Just sayin' 

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Alex V said:

Been AIWB carrying since I left NJ.  Tier1 Axis Elite all the way for Zev OZ9c and G48MOS

It's nice to have your gun at centerline, easier to draw, easier to conceal and easier to protect if it gets physical. 

It's not for everyone though as not everyone has the same built.  If you've been enjoying that awesome NJ Italian food a little too much, it's going to he hard to draw that gun from under your beer belly.  Just sayin' 

Sir, I like your style! I went with the T-rex Arms Sidecar 2.0 with matching "discreet carry concept clips Mod 4". 

When I carried out of state i carried mostly in the appendix position (galloway precision do-it-all appendix holster), or in a pocket holster (pro-tech gripper), a few times i carried at the 3' clock position using a "yaqui" holster. From now on, it's the Sidecar 2.0 from T-rex Arms all the way! It's the honestly the best I have owned to date.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Sir, I like your style! I went with the T-rex Arms Sidecar 2.0 with matching "discreet carry concept clips Mod 4". 

When I carried out of state i carried mostly in the appendix position (galloway precision do-it-all appendix holster), or in a pocket holster (pro-tech gripper), a few times i carried at the 3' clock position using a "yaqui" holster. From now on, it's the Sidecar 2.0 from T-rex Arms all the way! It's the honestly the best I have owned to date.

AIWB doesn’t work for everyone but in my opinion if you can, it’s the best. The Sidecar is the same basic concept as the T1 holsters I have, I’m sure it’s just as comfortable. 

I’ve drove NC to PA to a Costa class while carrying my Zev the whole time. 7.5 hours of driving, no problem. 

Once you start carrying every day, it doesn’t feel like a novelty anymore and the feel of the pistol in your pants becomes natural. Like keys in your pocket or your wallet. 

Put my shoes on, grab my truck keys, wallet, phone put gun on. It’s just routine now. 

• Agree 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, CJack said:

I am trying to get used to this kydex IWB with G26.. cannot seem to find comfortable spot. Appendix, pokes into junk and pokes into belly. 3'clock - prints and pokes into upper side when I sit.  Any tips ?

AIWB should be in accordance with your frame. I carry more towards my hip and not in the center (halfway between midpoint and hip). Some people carry more centered.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:55 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i've been working on the left hand version of apendix........problem i'm having is that i can't get a holster to ride high enough for me to get a comfortable grip when drawing

Have you tried multiple holsters?  Plenty of holster makers have adjustable heights somehow built into their holsters,  Either through adjustment on the holster, or through the use of other types of clips.   

20 minutes ago, TheTeZ said:

Have you tried multiple holsters?  Plenty of holster makers have adjustable heights somehow built into their holsters,  Either through adjustment on the holster, or through the use of other types of clips.   

This.

Someone posted a video recently (that I can't seem to find now) about carry holster setup that was very informative and included suggestions on good holster brands to checkout.

I know Vedder and Tulster are adjustable for ride height.

Alien Gear Shape Shift system and Clinger Holster Hinge set are pretty adaptable. I have the Hinge for my Shield Plus and currently have it set up with the single Gear clip. The alien allows you to add shells for other guns if you need to and utilize the basic attachment configurations. 

On 8/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, TheTeZ said:

i'd tried a few for my sr9c, including an aliengear. couldn't get comfy grip. i've been carrying my 92f in a "we the people" holster(where i legally can till i get my ccw of course) with no comfort issues. i've also bought a vedder(just arrived) for my g19 with mini-olight mounted, and have a tulster for that pistol without the light.

the other issue i run in to....and didn't ever notice this till i started trying iwb.....there is less room on the left side of your zipper than on the right side.

Didn't read all the posts.

I'm not a fan of OC.  IMO most who OC just want to tell everyone, "I got a gun".  If you're concerned about SD and you carry concealed you become an unknown quantity and a surprise for the bad guy.

That said I usually carry a short barrel (under 3") appendix. Longer barrels (a 1911 or full size Beretta 92) at about 3-4 o'clock. If it's winter and I have a heavy coat on its supplemented with a J frame (in 32 or 38), a 380,  or even a 22 or 25 in my jacket pocket for immediate response.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'd tried a few for my sr9c, including an aliengear. couldn't get comfy grip. i've been carrying my 92f in a "we the people" holster(where i legally can till i get my ccw of course) with no comfort issues. i've also bought a vedder(just arrived) for my g19 with mini-olight mounted, and have a tulster for that pistol without the light.

the other issue i run in to....and didn't ever notice this till i started trying iwb.....there is less room on the left side of your zipper than on the right side.

Nice. I'm glad you.got one that works. I have a we the people, cuz it's small and thought it would hide well.  It does, but the claw on it is kinda terrible, and it's not nearly as comfy as my Hidden Hubrid Holster.