CAL. .30 M1

NJ CCW Application - Itemized List

Mods @Krdshrk @Mrs. Peel- if this is redundant or not the right place please kill it or move it :)

Hi All - 

There are many threads in reference to experiences, do this, do that, need this, need that etc. and I do not see any cohesive sticky as to points, potential procedure etc.

So I am looking for some help to see if I have this all down correctly and I did speak to my local PD, that I will update in another thread (experiences) - if you see something that is incorrect or a show stopper please let me know. :) :drinks:

Step 1 - DOC SP642 Rev 6/22 - I have this form and it is filled out (triplicate)- please note the following:

a - What do you use for Municipal Code?

b - Height I did Ft, in

c - Complexion I did FAIR (I am white and not pasty white LOL)

d - Telephone and Email - I used mine to contact me - as I did not interpret this to be my employers

Step 1a - I have my endorsements filled out with signatures

Step 1b - I have my notary ready

Step 2 -  DOC SP066Rev 7/19 - Is all filled out (triplicate) and ready to go

Step 3 - I have my DL and Passport Ready to go

Step 4 - I will have 4 passport photos - any problem with having it done at a USPS Office, or is there a better solution?

Step 5 - I have paperwork from my executed Pistol Permits for Two fire arms I want to Qualify with

Step 6 - I will have a MO for $ 50.00 for Payable to - “Treasurer, State of New Jersey” - is this correct

Step 7 - Qualifications - I have a retired LEO that Certs other LEO's ready to Qualify me - going to use the following:

– No holster needed
– All shooting from the ready position
– 50 rounds per firearm
– FBI Q target
– 24 rounds at 7 yards
– 14 rounds at 10 yards
– 6 rounds at 15 yards
– 6 rounds at 25 yards
For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)

Is this in line with what others are doing?

Step 8 - Upon Application I will be given a code for finger printing at IDENTOGO - do I use that which is given to me by the local PD or use there ORI number at the time of printing?

Or this - which is it?  THE SERVICE CODE FOR CARRY PERMIT FINGERPRINTING IS: 2F164B - YOU WILLL NEED AN OPD CASE # TO GET FINGERPRINTED. YOU WILL GET ONE WHEN YOU DROP OFF YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION

Other DATA - I have from 2012 a cert for the NRA Basic Pistol Course - as well as the Home Firearms Safety Course - will these be needed for anything, I am assuming no and mean diddly squat for this application ( I did these in the anticipation of law changes back then for 'training' etc. )

If you can look at the above and see if I am on the money with this or not - I said to myself that I was not going to apply and wait till I get to SC, but being I am here for 2 more years, my wife was like - "why aren't you applying?  its your right and the law is on your side.  God I love her.... LOL

Thanks for taking the time to read this......and any guidance you can provide.

Peace,

Nick

• Informative 2

Mr Stu covered this but you have it by the numbers. I was thinking about adding an NRA cert as well plus copies of my other 4 non-residents ccw permints but then  I channeled an old deceased friend use to say, “give them what they want,  not what you think they need” .   I had the same question about #8 but you need the case number 2F164B & ORI to start the finger print process but your local PD will give you the final number after you turn in your app,  so that is last. Someone answered it on the forum for me but I confirmed that with our local PD. Anyway glad to see you have changed you mind.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Mr Stu covered this but you have it by the numbers. I was thinking about adding an NRA cert as well plus copies of my other 4 non-residents ccw permints but then  I channeled an old deceased friend use to say, “give them what they want,  not what you think they need” .   I had the same question about #8 but you need the case number 2F164B & ORI to start the finger print process but your local PD will give you the final number after you turn in your app,  so that is last. Someone answered it on the forum for me but I confirmed that with our local PD. Anyway glad to see you have changed you mind.

Really?  Do you have the link where that is - ?  Sorry not being lazy but there is so much all over the place right now - we need a good sticky !!!  LOL

Yeah - only what they want  - and my wife changed my mind while in NJ.

We are in a really safe area for 29 years, but are 800yds off the NYS line - on 400+acres of state land that straddle both sides - and our neighborhood borders that acreage.  We walk the neighborhood and woods a lot - the back side borders the state land - and just up in NYC they are dropping illegals off in Pine Island NY and they are roaming around aimlessly to a certain degree, from what I have been told.

I know those woods as I have hunted them - you get dragged in their, or someone gets with you in there - no one is finding you, you are on your own - maybe some of your bones if it goes bad after all is said and done.  

So being we are here for two more years, work, family, waiting on something to be built - why not?

page 3 on the big thread,   I did a screen shot and used  his post for a guide but still had a few questions but it was enough to get me started. Other forum members answered my additional questions one of which was in the thread. For some reason have a problem with inserting Mr Stu's link.  Dropping ours off tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Good Luck!

Mr Stu post:

I dropped off my packet at NJSP Washington Station this afternoon.

The Sgt. at the front desk looked at everything in it and was clearly referring to a checklist as he did so. He said it looked complete and would pass it to their firearms person. He even volunteered her email address in case I had any questions to ask her.

This is what I did:

3 x application form (SP642 6/28/2022) filled in on my PC and printed. My references signed each copy. I signed each copy in front on a notary at the UPS store he and notarized them.

1 x consent for mental health records search (SP066 7/23/2019) Which I signed and one of my references witnessed.

The UPS store guy also did my photos. He knew what it was for as soon as I said I needed 4 pictures. He said he had done several already this week, but I was the first person to ask for 1.5"x1.5" rather than 2"x2". He made a mental note to help future customers. (I also was asked questions by the other staff at the store about how to get a gun and a permit - one was a young expecting mother)

I got a money order for $50 from the post office and made it out to "Treasurer, State of New Jersey" - I have been advised by the NJSP trooper that handled my (failed) app in 2017 that the wording on the MO has to be exactly that. Anything else has been bounced before

I did quals with a certified instructor that has been doing RPO quals for years. He is recognized by NJSP as being certified for that. He signed off that I did the HQC1 and HNCQ. He did not put his NRA certification number on the form so I got it from him and added it myself.

I provided a photocopy of my drivers license and my certificate of naturalization.

I provided a photocopy of the PtPP that was executed when I acquired each handgun I qualified with.

I went to Identogo in Easton, PA this morning as there were no appointments available on the web site in NJ at all. I had to pay extra for out of state, but I was not prepared to wait. I booked the appt on Tuesday and went today (Thursday). I included the receipt in my packet.

Before I handed it all in, I made sure I had a copy of everything for my records.

Now the wait begins.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FXDX said:

page 3 on the big thread,   I did a screen shot and used  his post for a guide but still had a few questions but it was enough to get me started. Other forum members answered my additional questions one of which was in the thread. For some reason have a problem with inserting Mr Stu's link.  Dropping ours off tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Good Luck!

Mr Stu post:

MODS WE NEED A CUMULATIVE STICKY - there are too many threads, too much information - someone needs to separate the wheat from the chaff and start a sticky !

• Agree 1

You’re probably right, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to post yours as a sticky and remove my postings since yours is in numeral order and lock it.  All I was just saying I used Mt Stu as a guide and it passed the first review at local PD, now I’m just waiting in fingerprint line...

For eyes, race, hair, complexion, etc do you what are the acceptable options and and do you write it out compltely or use a standard abbreviation?  Ie if I have blue eyes and brown hair do I put BLU and BRN like whats on drivers licenses, or write out Blue and Brown?  

Seems trivial, but could be used to deny the permit if someone in the chain of approvals was predisposed to do so.  

16 minutes ago, ESB said:

Do you answer q27 no if you answered no to q26?  Or leave it blank?

(27) If answer to question 26 is yes, does it make it unsafe for you to handle firearms? 

I typed 'NA' in the form for q27.   I'd think blank would also be fine.  But I haven't submitted the application yet.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, ESB said:

For eyes, race, hair, complexion, etc do you what are the acceptable options and and do you write it out compltely or use a standard abbreviation?  Ie if I have blue eyes and brown hair do I put BLU and BRN like whats on drivers licenses, or write out Blue and Brown?  

Seems trivial, but could be used to deny the permit if someone in the chain of approvals was predisposed to do so.  

I wrote it all out and for complexion wrote "light". Lol hope that's ok.