nitrospaz9

.357 kick to .45acp kick

Now I am buying a snub nosed .357. My .45 has a bit of a kick to it and people are still trying to warn me about he .357. I have fired one i nthe past but with a 6 inch barrel. Am I looking at a severe increase in kick like worse then my .45 with +p rounds?

The good part about the .357 snubbie is that you can practice with .38's or .38 +p. A box of 50 125 gr. magnums out of the snub is going to be a rough outing. Blast, muzzle flash is like a flame thrower. But man does it look cool ! There are reduced flash loads as well. You'll need those for a defense load. In low light, you will temporarily blind yourself with a full-house magnum. If you can, go with an all steel snub in 357. The drawback is the extra weight but the extra mass relieves the punishment on you.

I love the +p's out of my .45. I always tell people when I fire something I want it to hurt lol. First time I ever fired a 12 gauge hurt like hell but I was all smiles loaded up the next shell and kept on going. From that Day I was hooked. So I will definitly be looking for the .38 +p's. I have not seen .357 shells anywhere near me and there sold out everywhere online. Once I get the money I will start buying them and I still gonna run to new york to pick up more .45

The good part about the .357 snubbie is that you can practice with .38's or .38 +p. quote]

Is this the case with all .357's?

Can shoot .38's and .357's?

-Scott

Yes, all .357 can shoot .38s. The opposite isn't true.

Now I am buying a snub nosed .357. My .45 has a bit of a kick to it and people are still trying to warn me about he .357. I have fired one i nthe past but with a 6 inch barrel. Am I looking at a severe increase in kick like worse then my .45 with +p rounds?

A .357 has more felt recoil than a .45ACP. It's also "snappier" recoil and louder. That said, if you've ever shot a .44magnum, it's less than that for the most part. I find grips on revolvers make a HUGE difference in how manageable the recoil is. I think you're going to find that when you can pop off 200 rounds of .45 and not notice it much, you do the same with a .357 and your palm, thumb webbing or wrist is going to hurt and in fact, you'll have stopped long before you get to 200 rounds.

Personally, I can shoot a .44 with an 8 or 10inch barrel all day long. I shoot the same with a 3 or 4 inch barrel and I stop at 30-48 rounds or so. It stops being fun after a while. I've shot a .480 and a .460. I stop both after 6. The .460 I should have stopped after 2 :lol:

Everyone needs a .357/.38 special snubby.....

Get a Ruger SP101 (spurless is the one I prefer) and you will tame the recoil more than the equivalent competition, but at the cost of weight with an all steel gun - I prefer that in a snubby firing .357 magnums but I just got a thing for steel wheelguns.

Snub 357? If you're talking a J frame S&W the recoil is brutal. If you're talking a SP101 or K frame or larger it's not that bad. Remember recoil is basically a function of the total ejected mass (bullet and powder) vs the weight of the gun with a factor thrown in for velocity.

I used to carry a S&W 640 (issued). At 24 oz I could still shoot 100% on a qual course with magnums but it wasn't fun. The recovery time was also longer. I carried the gun with +P+ instead of magnums a trade off between power and faster recovery time.

All the power of a 357 does no good if you can't hit with it. There are those he men who "can handle the recoil" and shoot 12" groups at 10 yds. Accuracy and controllability are more important to me.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Go to this site, plug in the numbers and you can see for yourself.

Felt recoil can be reduced by larger grips which spread the recoil over a lrager area. Larger grips also make the gun harder to conceal if that's a concern.