1LtCAP

now that we can ccw here in nj regarding spare mags

49 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

what are you guys doing for carrying of spare mags? pocket? iwb mag holders?

just curious, cause i'm not sure if or how many i wanna carry. was leaning towards a single spare.......

:)

R3yPccj.jpeg

• Agree 2

I got one of these so that I'd have something for qualification.   Single mag carrier

I haven't spent any time with it yet, but it's cheap enough at $20, can be set up for IWB or OWB, clips over the belt so you don't have to thread the belt through it, and it comes in four sizes, which are then further customized by adjusting an internal retention clip to fit the specific magazine you plan to carry.  

4 minutes ago, 10X said:

I got one of these so that I'd have something for qualification.   Single mag carrier

I haven't spent any time with it yet, but it's cheap enough at $20, can be set up for IWB or OWB, clips over the belt so you don't have to thread the belt through it, and it comes in four sizes, which are then further customized by adjusting an internal retention clip to fit the specific magazine you plan to carry.  

Still way too overt for me.  

I plan on using the Neomag - my LAPG pants have a front pocket that's perfect for this.  I carry my EDC Knife on my right side.  Left side will be for a spare mag.

lapg-mens-basic-operator-pant-w-elastic-

Was thinking of a secondary option of a pocket carry mag.  Anyone use something like this?

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/magazine-carriers/inside-the-waistband/the-gideon-pocket-mag-carrier.html

gideon_concealed_carry_pocket_magazine_c

Or the 1791 Snagmag?

https://1791gunleather.com/product/snagmag/

If you're carrying 10 rds in a semiautomatic the fight is likely to be over before you go through those 10 rds.  You're carrying for SD not a combat situation where your handgun is your primary weapon.  However, you need to carry at least one reload.

I've tried magazine carriers like the NeoMag and inevitably what happens is some crap collects at the mouth and lips of the magazine.  Not conducive to reliable feeding.  I prefer a magazine pouch that covers the mouth of the magazine.  IWB pouches usually get uncomfortable no matter what your physique.  I prefer a OWB magazine pouch.

If you carry a pocket magazine pouch as shown above remember you need to dedicate that pocket for only the magazine.

JMO

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Statistically, the chances of needing a reload in a civilian self defense encounter are almost nil.  People who study these things (like John at Active Self Protection) say it rarely ever happens.  Despite that, I keep a spare mag in the lower pocket on the left side (support side) of my cargo shorts. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, 10X said:

Had one for at least a year so far. OWB, 9oclock ish. Fits around my super thick Hanks belt, my old blackhawk did not. I currently use it for a glock 23 mag.

Retention is good, worn doing yard work and other tasks, mag has never unintentionally come out, yet draw is smooth.

Their gun holster is plenty comfortable. The mag holster is fine, but the mag itself is more prone to digging into my side and that has been the least comfortable thing about carrying at home, to be honest. Im sure I have tried it IWB but dont recall how it felt, but seeing how I dont carry that way, probably not ideal. OWB it does stick out a bit, though would be hard to get any narrower for a universal double stack reversable holder. I have had to tighten a screw on one of their products, so check every few months, but hardly a big deal.

I'd buy it again. I will also have to give it another try iwb.