CAL. .30 M1

Who is going to carry insurance?

14 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

How do you find the coverage compared to pricing tiers?

I have Law Shield too.  They cover you 100% for any criminal or civil proceeding with no limit.

I can carry under LEOSA so I pay a little more for 50 state coverage which I recommend.  Your NJ Carry Permit will allow you to carry in some other states.

Law Shield has other options if you feel you need them.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

How do you find the coverage compared to pricing tiers?

Griz beat me to it. 

They have options that you can turn on and off as desired, and the fees are pro rated for the time that you use them. 

I like that there is no limit to coverage, or access to an actual lawyer, not an answering service. 24/7/365. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I wonder how the criminals have been handling all these concerns all these years.

Gun carry laws NJ: There's more to it than the permit (njherald.com)

I spoke with my car jacker this weekend while being assaulted on the streets of Trenton.  He took the basic pistol class.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, and a quote:  "According to New York City Police Department statistics from 1994 to 2000, trained police officers hit their target on the street from a range of 0 to 2 yards just 38% of the time. At 3 to 7 yards, they missed 83% of the time, Miller wrote." :facepalm:

On 7/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, CMJeepster said:

Oh, and a quote:  "According to New York City Police Department statistics from 1994 to 2000, trained police officers hit their target on the street from a range of 0 to 2 yards just 38% of the time. At 3 to 7 yards, they missed 83% of the time, Miller wrote." :facepalm:

And then we have a 22yo with no formal training hitting 8/10 at 40 yards under stress.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, CMJeepster said:

The 12 lb. triggers NYPD mandates on their Glocks could be a factor.    

1 hour ago, ESB said:

And then we have a 22yo with no formal training hitting 8/10 at 40 yards under stress.  

Yes, but he is the exception not the rule.

In my prime I wouldn't hesitate to take a 50 yd headshot.  Not now as I know my limitations.

• Like 1

I am by no means an insurance expert. However, regarding “insurance”, my understanding is there are two distinct facets to this discussion which often get intermingled/confused. One facet is a plan like US Lawshield(My wife and I are 50 state members). It of course covers your legal defense criminally and civilly in the event you defend yourself with an item(be it a firearm, knife, fist, nerf gun, whatever).

The other facet is liability insurance in the event you are sued  by the other party and they are awarded damages. US Lawshield would cover your legal representation but not the damages themselves. For that you would also need “liability” insurance. Some have suggested that your typical umbrella policy would cover it. I have no idea if that is the case. But a dedicated separate firearm liability policy may be warranted. There are several such companies I have seen mentioned. I do not recall the names.

Hope this makes sense and please clarify if I misstated anything. 

• Informative 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, ShootersShooter said:

The current administration has seen fit to deem it illegal to sell firearm liability in NJ. The USLawShield type is our only form of coverage available.

That is correct. One can only wonder why firearm liability insurance is illegal. Just another way to punish lawful and peaceful firearms owners.

• Agree 1

There are seven "insurance groups" that offer "plans" to Concealed Carry holders.  Nearly all of them don't offer plans in NJ.  Since Bucky has outlawed firearms liability insurance (or concealed carry insurance), some of the listed groups listed in the link refer to themselves as "legal defense funds".  US Law Shield is one of them.  This information is updated annually in August.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/self-defense-gun-owner-insurance-programs-compared/

I don’t have a dog in this fight but all programs I’ve looked at, including US Law Shield, provide civil suit  defense. 

Of course, if you lose, then you’re on the hook for the judgment. Is that where you’re making the distinction with liability insurance?

1 hour ago, Variant said:

Still, $200 a year for a legal defense that could be $20,000 or more seems like a great deal.  

$20K really is the bottom figure as you well noted. It just goes up from there. From what I've read, upwards of 100K in fees for a criminal defense case involving homicide, for instance, is not at all uncommon, particularly if expert witnesses need to be pulled in, etc. And I would think that those higher fees might be even more common in a high-cost, 2A-hostile state such as ours. That's a lot of expense. I dare say it's enough to ruin many households financially... while others with even less money would simply have to roll the dice and put their freedom in the hands of a young, wet-behind-the-ears public defender. Eegads! I'd say all of that heartache is worth avoiding for $200 a year.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

$20K really is the bottom figure as you well noted. It just goes up from there. From what I've read, upwards of 100K in fees for a criminal defense case involving homicide, for instance, is not at all uncommon, particularly if expert witnesses need to be pulled in, etc. And I would think that those higher fees might be even more common in a high-cost, 2A-hostile state such as ours. That's a lot of expense. I dare say it's enough to ruin many households financially... while others with even less money would simply have to roll the dice and put their freedom in the hands of a young, wet-behind-the-ears public defender. Eegads! I'd say all of that heartache is worth avoiding for $200 a year.

When you put it like this, it almost seems too good to be true. Is there any catch? 

Just now, Variant said:

When you put it like this, it almost seems too good to be true. Is there any catch? 

Good question. I don't know!

Has anyone else here heard of people bringing suit against these companies for failure to provide the promised services?

I would imagine you could check out Better Business Bureau as a starting place.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, dilbert1967 said:

There are seven "insurance groups" that offer "plans" to Concealed Carry holders.  Nearly all of them don't offer plans in NJ.  Since Bucky has outlawed firearms liability insurance (or concealed carry insurance), some of the listed groups listed in the link refer to themselves as "legal defense funds".  US Law Shield is one of them.  This information is updated annually in August.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/self-defense-gun-owner-insurance-programs-compared/

The only 2 available in NJ are Armed Citizens LDN and US Law Shield. For the price - US Law Shield looks like it's a better deal.

The instructor at my CCW class told us about a guy in the next county over from us who was involved in a self defense shooting. 

He said the legal costs just at the grand jury  exceeded $100K. US Lawshield picked up every penny, and the the CCW’r was not indicted. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1