CJack

PTC - Who is open carrying from day one ?

18 minutes ago, CJack said:

Title says it all. Since NJ is Permit to Carry. Who is opening carrying from day one and why ?

Mods: Please move this to another place as appropriate. Just noticed the CCW area is for ccw discussion.

I would advise against open carry!  Not now!  Just asking for trouble IMHO!  It's still NJ and they are not quite ready for OC just yet.

• Like 1

I've been carrying for almost 50 years.  I don't understand the fascination with open carry.  You want to show people you have a gun? Why?

When I moved to AZ in 1978 they had no carry permits.  Only LEOS could carry concealed.  Anyone could open carry.  You really didn't see that much although almost everyone had a gun in their car.

The only situation I'd open carry is if that was the only option available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

My recommendation is - don't.  Open carrying in public requires a lot of attentiveness - You need a good retention holster lest a criminal or mentally deficient individual decides to just grab it and gun you down.  

I'm trying to locate a video I saw of an off duty cop who got their gun taken and was shot and killed by it.  This happened in Brazil or another Central or South American country.  Off duty cop is open carrying and some cold blooded perp reaches in, grabs his gun, and kills him with it.   You'll need a good level 2 or even level 3 retention type holster.  Being distracted for a split second could become a huge problem.

We just got Carry - all it takes is one bad incident to ruin it for the rest of us - don't be that incident.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

In this state open carry, legal or not, would only escalate the fears of anti-gun advocates. Why provoke an already committed block of voters to keep the current ilk of legislators in place? Responsible gun owners, legally carrying firearms without uncalled for use will slowly convert some fence-sitters to the pro-gun side of the debate and  alleviate those fears & concerns. 

• Agree 1

Open carry is stupid, that is, unless you are a cop or at a redneck BBQ, then it's cool.  Apparently BBQ guns are a thing out west.  Advertising that one is packing heat is inviting trouble, it can only be interpreted as attention seeking behavior.  What would be the point, other than to intentionally upset people and looking for confrontation of some sort.  Makes me think that the carrier has a gunslinger complex and probably didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy.  Kinda pathetic.

Be happy that concealed carry is now available to law abiding folks, don't fuck it up for everyone else because you want to make an unnecessary statement.

• Agree 2

The very best thing can happen to CCW in NJ is that it is not noticed. One or two helpings of "good guy with a gun" couldn't hurt either, but can be completely derailed by a single incident of carelessness, negligence or arrogance.

• Agree 2

But here is the deal. You know it, I know it, and grandma knows it, that NJ will not slow their anti-2A stance based on open carry or conceal carry.   You also know that, just like they removed the "carry" verbiage from FPID they will sneak in "ccw" word onto the Carry paper as well (without actual law to back it up).  Regular Joes and more importantly COPS need to know its (the law) just CARRY and NOT concealed carry and that fact need to be reinforced from time to time or it goes the way the "long gun carry".

Many years ago when I joined this forum, there were talks like "Yeah man, we need to show up with long guns open carry to this place, that place, show whats legal blah blah blah". What happened ? 

The current "privilege" was afforded by a NY case, not because of any push back from People here in NJ or activism. If we don't take opportunities like this and communicate with our dear elected leaders and Public, we are gonna have to wait for another NY case to hit SCOTUS in another 10 years, 10 years after that..

<<rant-over>>

• Agree 2

I open carry sometimes.

If I am running to Home Depot or something I'll just open carry, especially in the summer.  If the wife and I are going out somewhere I conceal. 

Then again, Im no longer in NJ and no one cares here.  If I am open carrying, I won't be the only one.  

• Haha 1