Dr. Goodshot

Permit to purchase a handgun extension - question

Question: I understand that if you don't use a permit to purchase a handgun within 90 days of issuance, you are automatically granted an extension for another 90 days. So you don't have to ask or request it or anything? Is it just automatically granted to anyone who hasn't used all their permits?

And secondly, when the permits are extended, do you get an email from the FARS/NJ Portal system saying that they have been extended?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Question: I understand that if you don't use a permit to purchase a handgun within 90 days of issuance, you are automatically granted an extension for another 90 days. So you don't have to ask or request it or anything? Is it just automatically granted to anyone who hasn't used all their permits?

And secondly, when the permits are extended, do you get an email from the FARS/NJ Portal system saying that they have been extended?

Yes to both questions!  They are automatically extended and yes, you will get an email.

• Agree 1

"Which begs the question, why don't they just issued the PP with 180 day expiration dates and be done with it."

As if more than half the gun laws on the books in NJ make sense? One of my pet peeves is the pinned stocks on AR platforms. No adjustment allowed even if the shortest length in over the minimal legal measurement. Another broad-brush response to a perceived problem.

6 hours ago, Bomber said:

Which begs the question, why don't they just issued the PP with 180 day expiration dates and be done with it.

Because it goes back to the days of paper where it was an inconvenience and burden to go in and extend them so it was another hurdle to keep you from purchasing.  Now its just a legacy since they are too lazy to change the law.

It doesnt even make sense that you need a hand gun purchase permit after your first gun. Like what are you going to do carry 5 hand guns and juggle them as you go on a killing spree? I really do believe there should be some kind of wait for your firearms permit to help keep rash judgement suicides down. But after that approval it makes no sense to make you wait for anything other then NICs and that should take a few minutes like in PA. 

8 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

It doesnt even make sense that you need a hand gun purchase permit after your first gun.

When it comes to firearm laws, 'making sense' is above the paygrade of NJ governors and legislators.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

I really do believe there should be some kind of wait for your firearms permit to help keep rash judgement suicides down.

There's no waiting period at Home Depot for rope.

Connecticut mom strangles her 3 kids before hanging herself, police say after initial investigation (msn.com)

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

I really do believe there should be some kind of wait for your firearms permit to help keep rash judgement suicides down.

... and that's exactly how we end up with non-sensical feel good common sense gun control laws - "it's for your SAfeTy"

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

It doesnt even make sense that you need a hand gun purchase permit after your first gun. Like what are you going to do carry 5 hand guns and juggle them as you go on a killing spree? I really do believe there should be some kind of wait for your firearms permit to help keep rash judgement suicides down. But after that approval it makes no sense to make you wait for anything other then NICs and that should take a few minutes like in PA. 

Totally agree, like one every 30 days .....