Scorpio64

Solar Panels

Talk to me about solar panels.   I'm curious to hear about some real life experiences with different kinds of panels and storage.  Everything from off grid, to charging a portable battery when camping.  I think I'm gonna buy a solar battery bank, just to have because it seems handy, but I'm really tempted to buy a couple car batteries and a couple panels just to mess with.

Small battery packs and charging stations aren't enough to take you off the grid.

Honestly - I don't think you can go off the grid here in NJ - as the seasons change the power output from the solar panels will also change.

I'm actually investing in a solar system for my house currently - I use about 12,000 kWh/year (I have kids and a lot of electronics).  The solar company I'm working with (Sunpower by Sea Bright Solar) has really good reviews - their panels are top notch - some of the highest producing panels out there (Sunpower Maxeon M-Series).  That being said - in order to size the output properly, I've got to get 28 panels.  Each panel has to have it's own inverter as well.  Luckily this company is figuring out everything for me - including the placement.  My roof's not quite optimal but it works - I'm east/west facing with multiple angles.  Basically we're fitting as many panels as we can on the south facing side, and stacking up the east side as much as possible and putting the remaining panels on the west side.  It's gonna look somewhat patchwork but it will work.  I'll still be on the grid - and can potentially sell any excess power made back to PSE&G - however the rate you get for that is much lower than what they charge per kWh.  You can bank some of the electricity produced with a battery system, but those systems are super pricey especially right now with battery costs through the roof.

image.png.9269250d71ee415ef2c6bea5d4bfda09.png

This is not coming in cheap however with the government incentives (NJ and Federal) it makes putting down the money at least a bit more tolerable.  I figure we're going to be here at least 10 more years until the kiddo graduates - might as well put some money into the house and make it cheaper in the long run.  

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Talk to me about solar panels.   I'm curious to hear about some real life experiences with different kinds of panels and storage. 

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2022/07/james-howard-kunstler/its-not-working/

"I got a whopping folio of tax breaks and subsidies from the state and federal government when I decided to put solar electric on my house in 2013, though it finally still cost a lot: $35-K".

19 minutes ago, Bomber said:

"I got a whopping folio of tax breaks and subsidies from the state and federal government when I decided to put solar electric on my house in 2013, though it finally still cost a lot: $35-K".

This was 9 years ago in 2013 - the technologies used sound outdated.  Lead acid batteries are old tech compared to newer lithium batteries... 

9 hours ago, Bomber said:

I've already read that, a long time ago, I've read volumes on the subject.  What I'm looking for here is actual first hand experiences with everything from roof panels to briefcase chargers, what is junk and what is worth the trouble.  I want to know what one can do with a 1.5W panel, how long does it really take to charge a battery, has anyone used solar for camping, things like that.

For roof panels, I went with Green Power Energy in Annandale. They did a good job with plenty of communication in the design phase and the guys that did the install were professional too. I recommended them to my best friend and he is happy with their work too.

If you'd like them to come out and give you an estimate PM me and I'll send them a referral.

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Power-Demystified-Beginners-Independence-ebook/dp/B07QNC25CP/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=solar+power+demystified&qid=1658849702&sprefix=solar+power+demy%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-4

Free kindle book. I found it pretty informative on the basic nuts and bolts. At the very least a solid starting point to asking good questions. 

• Thanks 1

A co-worker had solar installed about 9 months ago in mercer county.     when it went active his bills started to skyrocket.   He had it investigated and company that installed them screwed entire install.  estimates of up to 5g to repair.

fast forward to today,  he is living in the Hilton on rt 1 in Princeton cause his house burnt down.   Investigator said it started on roof by solar connection.  

• Sad 3

51 minutes ago, revenger said:

A co-worker had solar installed about 9 months ago in mercer county.     when it went active his bills started to skyrocket.   He had it investigated and company that installed them screwed entire install.  estimates of up to 5g to repair.

fast forward to today,  he is living in the Hilton on rt 1 in Princeton cause his house burnt down.   Investigator said it started on roof by solar connection.  

Damn - what company did he use?