Edited to remove open vs concealed since that has been discussed in other threads.

First off, I am not advocating open carry, nor do I envision myself wanting to open carry in public. 

SP-642, is called a permit to carry. 2C:58-4 makes no mention (that I see) regarding the method of carry, open or concealed. I bring this up regarding concerns about printing. If the law does not mention carry method, then printing would be less of a concern, from a legal standpoint. Obviously, it is best to not print at all for multiple reasons.

I have also not seen anything regarding duty to inform during interactions with police. Since in reality the only people to have a carry permit previously were guards in uniform (open carry) and active or retired LEO, with badges or the elite, who also typically have special credentials. Many of them also have special license plates or other placards which would tip off a LEO in advance of contact.

As I type this, another question came to mind. I know in other States a LEO knows the owner of the vehicle has a carry permit when they run the license plate. Does NJ have that?

Since I am a member of multiple 2A advocacy groups which offer free legal advice, as well as US Law Shield, I intend to reach out to a lawyer at some point. I have not yet submitted my packet, so I have time. Just wondering other's thoughts on this. I know we have some active & retired LEOs on the forum, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as well. Particularly on duty to inform and if they see a carry permit when a plate or DL is run.  

Edited by kc17
reason is in the post

Pretty simple, if a law doesn't exist... you have no duty to inform. 

Second point, which is a little blurry. 

NJ only allows Law enforcement and the courts to have access to personal information on gun owners. That would disqualify releasing personal information to anyone else, including the NJMVC. However, it wouldn't disqualify NJ from having a seperate system only accessible by LEO. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

No duty to inform. But it is a good idea. Especially if you're a member of a group that is statistically more likely to have a bad outcome in a police encounter. 

I agree!  If you are a white male. you should inform the officer!

• Haha 2