oneshot

Bird dog training

Hey folks,

I'm looking for someone in the morris county area who is training their dog for upland hunting. I have a 5 month old chessie that im training and it would be great to find someone else

to train with. its just easier with two people and better to train with another dog for teaching them to be steady and honor. So if anyone is interested let me know. thanks

Cameron Green runs the Green Academy of Personal Protection.  I believe his focus has shifted to more dog training.  I see his posts on FB about training dogs.  Not 100% sure if it's personal training or for others as well but that could be a starting point.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, oneshot said:

Hey folks,

I'm looking for someone in the morris county area who is training their dog for upland hunting. I have a 5 month old chessie that im training and it would be great to find someone else

to train with. its just easier with two people and better to train with another dog for teaching them to be steady and honor. So if anyone is interested let me know. thanks

Did your breeder offer any recommendations? 

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are waterfowl dogs, that adapt well to upland hunting thanks to their tenacity and strong abilities to trail, flush and retrieve. The terms "steady" and "honor" I hear only when referencing any of the pointing breeds of upland dogs. I'm sure waterfowl dogs hold steady to wing and shot, but if they honor other dog's points; that's a new one on me but something not out of the realm of training.

There are Chessie breeders in this state, and well as upland dog trainers at many of the local pheasant farms in NJ. I'm sure someone there could help you with your training needs. 

16 minutes ago, Parker said:

Did your breeder offer any recommendations? 

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are waterfowl dogs, that adapt well to upland hunting thanks to their tenacity and strong abilities to trail, flush and retrieve. The terms "steady" and "honor" I hear only when referencing any of the pointing breeds of upland dogs. I'm sure waterfowl dogs hold steady to wing and shot, but if they honor other dog's points; that's a new one on me but something not out of the realm of training.

There are Chessie breeders in this state, and well as upland dog trainers at many of the local pheasant farms in NJ. I'm sure someone there could help you with your training needs. 

Hey Parker thanks for replying. The breeder is in south NJ and actually i dont care for her at all. Long story.

I was really hoping to find another person training so we could train together , its a little more difficult to train alone, and dogs can learn from each other.Perhaps i worded it wrong. If one dog flushes its that dogs bird, so by honor i mean the non flushing dog hangs back.it is a thing :-) . id settle for someone who is willing to train my dog with me with the benefit of getting to hunt over him when hes ready. Lets call them a practice dummy lol.. Joking . Someone whos been around hunting/flushing dogs preferably . Trainers are oodles of dinero that i just cant afford to shell out right now(another long story by uncle sam). Ive trained a couple dogs before. one chessie one golden. My new guy is super smart and he knows it. BTW ive had different breeds but my love for chessies is solid, couldn't imagine another breed Anyway thats all i got for now. thanks again for the reply Parker

• Agree 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, oneshot said:

Hey Parker thanks for replying. The breeder is in south NJ and actually i dont care for her at all. Long story.

I was really hoping to find another person training so we could train together , its a little more difficult to train alone, and dogs can learn from each other.Perhaps i worded it wrong. If one dog flushes its that dogs bird, so by honor i mean the non flushing dog hangs back.it is a thing :-) . id settle for someone who is willing to train my dog with me with the benefit of getting to hunt over him when hes ready. Lets call them a practice dummy lol.. Joking . Someone whos been around hunting/flushing dogs preferably . Trainers are oodles of dinero that i just cant afford to shell out right now(another long story by uncle sam). Ive trained a couple dogs before. one chessie one golden. My new guy is super smart and he knows it. BTW ive had different breeds but my love for chessies is solid, couldn't imagine another breed Anyway thats all i got for now. thanks again for the reply Parker

Trainers are expensive. Finished dogs really drives the cost up from a pup.