ESB

Smart Scopes w/ Ballistic Computer

17 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

digital or optical?

I'm pretty sure they are all digital, as they modify the position of the reticle. 

I've seen companies like ATN offer these options at a decent price, but the picture quality seems to be severely lacking. 

Beyond the range finder, which can be useful, I don't see the need for automatic zeroing if you're proficient at adjusting a scope for long range shooting. 

19 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm pretty sure they are all digital, as they modify the position of the reticle. 

Smart scopes are not all digital.   There are  optical scopes with built in range finding, and laser dot holdover built in.  For example, Burris make a laser scope called the Eliminator III.  Optical scopes only move the dot to the correct hold over, windage is still Kentucky style.

Many of those types of scopes have indexed dots for holdover; an approximation of where to aim. While they can be fairly useful in hunting, they just don't have the same level of granularity as the .25 MOA elevation dial. Kinda like multi-pin bowhunting sights. 

55 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Smart scopes are not all digital.   There are  optical scopes with built in range finding, and laser dot holdover built in.  For example, Burris make a laser scope called the Eliminator III.  Optical scopes only move the dot to the correct hold over, windage is still Kentucky style.

So there is a a bunch of preset spots for the red dot to appear based on range?