45Doll

The Developing Global Food Shortage - How Bad?

I've been reading articles predicting a food shortage within 18 months for the last six months. It may be closer than that. Those of you thinking of laying in extra food supplies may want to read this.

A Horrifying Drought Is Causing Widespread Crop Failures Throughout The United States And Europe – Investment Watch (investmentwatchblog.com)

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I've been reading articles predicting a food shortage within 18 months for the last six months. It may be closer than that. Those of you thinking of laying in extra food supplies may want to read this.

A Horrifying Drought Is Causing Widespread Crop Failures Throughout The United States And Europe – Investment Watch (investmentwatchblog.com)

Wow. That's certainly "ringing the alarm bell" more loudly than other articles... then again, it's also kind of tying it all together from a global perspective, isn't it? Not a pretty picture! At this point, because there's only 1 of me, my food prepping efforts have been pretty restrained (in comparison to these prepping channels you see on Youtube for instance. I mean, my entire "pantry stock" is in 1 converted broom closet with lots of shelves, several other kitchen cabinets, and 3 of those under-the-bed boxes). I have really just moved my previously very unprepared lifestyle to what most people probably consider a "normally stocked" home. I have (so far) veered away from doing the "real prepper" stuff (in my mind anyway) - like when people are buying BIG bags (of rice and other dried goods), oxygen absorbers, mylar bags - and then spending the time to get that all divied up, packaged and loaded into food buckets. Articles like this make me re-think my approach. Maybe it's worth a little effort to do exactly that... trying to take a 4-6 month supply and stretch it with some staples into more of a year's supply? Hmm.. as bad as the prices are now, it seems they are ONLY going to get worse - I think that's pretty apparent. It makes other forms of prepping look less onerous now...

I'm curious... measured in terms of "# months" - where do the rest of you fall? How many months of food supply do you think you have? What do you think is "reasonable" vs. "over the top" in terms of some of this drought news coming out? When it comes to food, are you doing the "whole she-bang" prepper lifestyle (canning, extra freezer, long-term storage of dried goods in mylar bags, etc.) - or - just more of a "very well-stocked but still normal" kitchen pantry (that has perhaps spilled over into another storage area or two of the house)?  

We have tried to be prepared a little bit.  With three kids it’s tough.  We were aiming for the “few days/weeks/natural disaster” thing not “global shortage for years” thing.   

Guess I need to buy more food.  Or ammo.  Most of my neighbors are unarmed.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I like the way you think, lol! Preying on the unarmed, but hopefully food-plentiful neighbors is def'ly a strategy!  

Adorable as they may be, kids are like little Hoover vacuum cleaners sucking up your resources... gotta keep'em fed... anyway you can.  Neighbors be damned. ;)

Dry bagged or boxed pasta..I like bagged can store two years past expiration. 

Canned canelloni beans store 3to5 years..

Blue bins...sealable nooce no bugs...cheap easy supplemental insurance...  can be mixed with other supplies as needed or can be had..

Don't forget bags of seasoning....most can be free...  salt pepper cayenne ...restaurants love handing em out instead of tossing..store em...

I am THAT guy...if I go to a takeout place etc..and there is a counter of free condiments...yeah I take some..and maybe a tad more..  ;)

We have 90 to 120 for two adults.....minimum at any given time...

Don't forget the emergency bottles of whiskey...  lol

i'v e got about 3 to 4 months of canned food. chose that because should the need arise, most of it can be eaten right outta the can. hopefully that doesn't happen. got a month or so of frozen stuff, and got pasta too.

what i found interesting was that wallyworld actually had a pallet of "emergency" food in their store when i took mom shopping last night.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Those of you who can, remember how rowdy people got when they couldn't get gas? Think of how rowdy they'll be when they can't get food.

As for neighbors, don't overlook banding together. We with ammo help protect you with food.

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."  Rick, Casa Blanca

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Was checking out the global markets before calling it a night and saw this article.  And then logged in here and saw this thread. 

For the gardeners out there, start thinking about canning.  Wife just picked up some Bell canning jars at one of the local food stores (not sure which) for very inexpensive.  They were unloading them.  Tractor Suppy also carries canning supplies.

If ranchers are unloading herds of cattle all around the same time due to the droughts as the origianl story states then that could very well flood the market with meat and hopefully start driving the prices down.  If so, load up the freezer!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/economy/rhine-water-levels-german-economy-intl-hnk/index.html

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

They've always carried individual pouches of Mountain House in the camping section.  Interesting that they are stepping up their game.

these were buckets labeled as 48 hour supply. they were in the grocery section.

49 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I've got plenty of forest and farmland around if things get out of hand.  :8):

Land gets hunted put pretty quickly in a very bad scenario....  expect to get a lot of squirrel...and even that will have to much pressure..

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Squirrel will be hunted to near extinction.  I imagine the more passive folks will similarly fish rivers.

The current geographic cannot support anything other than a large industrialized food supply. 

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I like the way you think, lol! Preying on the unarmed, but hopefully food-plentiful neighbors is def'ly a strategy! 

11 hours ago, 45Doll said:

As for neighbors, don't overlook banding together. We with ammo help protect you with food.

I'm sure Mrs. Peel meant barter protection for food, not a stick-up job. Right Mrs. Peel? Right?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Land gets hunted put pretty quickly in a very bad scenario....  expect to get a lot of squirrel...and even that will have to much pressure..

Not around here.  Too maybe Bambi lovers without the knowledge or means to hunt.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm sure Mrs. Peel meant barter protection for food, not a stick-up job. Right Mrs. Peel? Right?

Errr... ummm... YEAH!! Yes, definitely! That's what I meant. Barter protection... that's what I was thinking. :icon_redface:

• Haha 3

All resources are scarce and you should be prepared. I even got my hunting education in, despite never hunting or fishing in my life.

Our basement is full of canned, dry, bagged. etc. foodstuffs and piles of bottled water. At first I thought we were going overboard, but the supplies go faster than you'd think. We once lost power for two weeks due to trees that blocked all surrounding roads. Thankfully, we had a gas stove and an RO system. Baby food was the main issue.

Once we went months without water filtering due to shipping delays. We absolutely tore through our bottled water, easily using two-three 40-bottle packs a month. Granted, we weren't rationing the way you would in a SHTF scenario, but don't think people are crazy for stocking way more than you would expect.

It's similar to how before owning a gun some might think people are crazy for storing guns everywhere in the house or carrying it everywhere with them. Then you can appreciate the rationale even if you wouldn't do it yourself.

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Errr... ummm... YEAH!! Yes, definitely! That's what I meant. Barter protection... that's what I was thinking. :icon_redface:

Right. Unless there's a "Hate Has No Home Here" sign in their yard. :diablo:

• Haha 3

Right now we have three main contributing factors. Expensive fertilizer and the decisions made on that, drought and or water controls that can't support agriculture, ESG which simulates both prior points "voluntarily". 

There is magic number 4 which is more regional, and that is that food prices aren't inflating fast enough to keep them viably competitive at ports. Like pistachios have gotten cheaper, probably partly from boycotts because water use, but also because lots of nuts are sitting around and not shipping through ports because a container full costs more than the profit that would be made. 

I don't know of any place that isn't predicting at least 20% reduction. CA really needs to stop blocking desalination plants. 

3 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Not around here.  Too maybe Bambi lovers without the knowledge or means to hunt.

While its nice to romanticize about self-sufficiency in the wild, unless you live in extremely low population areas (Alaska, NWT, Yukon, etc.), game animals would be wiped-out in a few weeks.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, RichP said:

While its nice to romanticize about self-sufficiency in the wild, unless you live in extremely low population areas (Alaska, NWT, Yukon, etc.), game animals would be wiped-out in a few weeks.

I dunno, plenty of deer around here.  How long will one deer last? I think it's would take months, maybe more to go through all the deer in our area of the pine barrens. And those fawns look pretty tasty.

And once they're gone I might be able to grow a decent vegetable garden.

Screenshot_20220816-203923~2.png

Edited by leahcim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I think Europe will feel the food shortage more than the US.

HOWEVER...

I also think that Bill Gates and the Chinese buying farmland might be a Communist plot. The US is more than self sufficient with food production.  During WW2 we supplied all our Allies with food. The purchase of farmland by China is twofold.   Control food production and espionage.  

Back in 1988 I was stationed in Ft Huachuca, the US Army Intelligence Center.  The Soviet Union had a trade mission in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico.  Whilst assigned to Ft Huachuca I made several trips to Nogales, Mexico.

The Soviet Union had established a Trade Mission in Nogales.

Subject to all the immunities of a diplomatic mission.

Do you think the Russians were interested in the blankets, sombremos,, and cheap leather the Mexicans were selling to the US?

No!!! After my first trip, I took a compass with me. I looked at plethora of antennas mounted on top of the Soviet Trade Mission in Nogales, Mexico. I shot an azimuth.  Did it in mils, not degrees. Much more accurate. Artillery and mortar guys understand this.

Later checked it on a map.  All those antennas were pointed toward Ft Huachuca.

No doubt, we'll find the farmland bought by China will have an antenna farm pointed at the USAF bases in the area.

Joe and Hunter don't give a shit 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Honestly I can fully imagine a future where bodies are no longer buried and repurposed in any number of ways.

Tibetans carry their dead into the mountains and dump the bodies on cliffs and outcroppings to be consumed by wildlife.  It's part of their Buddhist circle of life recycling program.  If you think about it, it's more awesome than being eaten by worms. It's metal.   Ashes to ashes, n shit.

• Like 2