BlueOrbit

Anywhere I can solo rent with FID?

51 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

If you're not having any luck finding a place, and you're willing to take a drive up to the Lakewood area on a weeknight, then get in touch with me and I'll be your "buddy" for an evening so you can rent at the Weshoot range.

I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the range.

I appreciate that. Thank you!

I would also offer the same at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor. $20 for the range & your ammo, 9mm or .380 and they'd require you to watch a safety video before shooting, short maybe 10 min. long. What are you considering buying? PM me if interested, prefer AM meet weekdays.

I understand this policy from the range's perspective - If all your "bad incidents" (with all the attendant negative publicity and impact on commercial insurance costs) come from rentals to solo parties, what are you going to do?

Charge the renter an extra $100 an hour to have a Range Safety Officer standing next to them for the entirety of their rental session?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FlyBri said:

Don't even think about Gun For Hire. Even if you have an FID, and ask for a specific gun, they won't rent to a solo "male" renter. They just lost my recent purchase due to this policy.  

They’re running a business. After dealing with three self-inflicted incidents, I think they’re correct in their decision. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

It's amazing that these places will sell you a gun to fire in their range alone, but won't let you rent one alone...

Someone unable to obtain a permit for any reason or non owner suffering from suicidal tendencies might use the solo rental for the wrong purpose. Not that it can't happen with others, but it reduces the risk of impulse suicides.

54 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

Someone unable to obtain a permit for any reason or non owner suffering from suicidal tendencies might use the solo rental for the wrong purpose. Not that it can't happen with others, but it reduces the risk of impulse suicides.

I was referring to the OP, who has his FPID. 

Do we not consistently argue about gun laws because they end up punishing primarily everyone over those "bad actors". 

The guy went through all the legal loopholes to obtain a firearm, and then gets stopped by these practices? 

I believe gunforhire will rent if you already have a pistol of your own present, or pay a 25 dollar fee for an RO to essentially evaluate and monitor you. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, FairbanksRusty said:

They’re running a business. After dealing with three self-inflicted incidents, I think they’re correct in their decision. 

Does showing an FID card not account for anything?

Fine with me, I bought the P365 I tried to rent from GFH from another store. They lost my sale and any recommendations from me. 

On 8/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, FlyBri said:

Don't even think about Gun For Hire. Even if you have an FID, and ask for a specific gun, they won't rent to a solo "male" renter. They just lost my recent purchase due to this policy.  

Wish they would expand on these policies bit.  I used to live in Jersey, moved out just over 5 years ago, no longer have my NJ FID card.

If I ever get back to Jersey will defiantly check out the changes at GFH.  But unless NJ adds CCW reciprocity and eliminates mag and ammo restrictions, there is no way I would travel to NJ with my EDC.  So using the range solo is not possible.

I can see having no solo rentals without an FID card or CCW, but if you have either of these it should be allowed.  I know people keep saying that it's the insurance requiring it.  But I have yet to have a range be able or willing to produce the section from their policy stating this.   Nor stating that reloads are not allowed.  I recall when GFH first was going to open and they said 'no reloads', but that changed due to backlash. I doubt that they negotiated with the insurance company to remove that requirement.  I think that the no reloads, and solo shooter are range policies, not insurance requirements.

I shoot my reloads at GFH all the time.  And if you have never had the single guy next to you blow his brains out then you probably wouldnt understand why they prohibit it.  Have you no friends that you could bring to the range for an hour?  Dont blame GFH for the actions of others.  They are just trying to keep EVERYONE safe.

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I shoot my reloads at GFH all the time.  And if you have never had the single guy next to you blow his brains out then you probably wouldnt understand why they prohibit it.  Have you no friends that you could bring to the range for an hour?  Dont blame GFH for the actions of others.  They are just trying to keep EVERYONE safe.

Can't bring friends during my lunch hour. The facts are that other ranges rent to solo shooters with a FID card. GFH is allowed to have whatever rules they want, however, they should publish these rules very clearly so no one wastes their time. I'm ok with their rules, but like I said, I bought the gun at another store even though I first looked at, and tried to rent the gun at GFH. I've already recommended my friend (with an active pistol permit) buy the gun he wants anywhere but GFH.  

17 hours ago, FlyBri said:

Can't bring friends during my lunch hour. The facts are that other ranges rent to solo shooters with a FID card. GFH is allowed to have whatever rules they want, however, they should publish these rules very clearly so no one wastes their time. I'm ok with their rules, but like I said, I bought the gun at another store even though I first looked at, and tried to rent the gun at GFH. I've already recommended my friend (with an active pistol permit) buy the gun he wants anywhere but GFH.  

The rules are published.  "

If you are traveling alone and do not have a firearm:
1) If you are a solo traveler without a firearm you will not be able to enter the range or rent any firearms due to insurance regulations."

12 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

1) If you are a solo traveler without a firearm you will not be able to enter the range or rent any firearms due to insurance regulations."

Are they clearly published on the range landing page, or hidden at the bottom somewhere in small print?

2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

What I would be greatly interested in is seeing the wording in the insurance policy that says this.

Its just that many ranges allow solo shooters and reloads.  Many do not.  So if it is an insurance thing, there is insurance that allows these options.  It just seems that ranges can be more accommodating.  I see that people say there are reasons for no solo shooters.  Has the no solo shooter policy prevented people from harming themselves at GFH, RTSP or any range for that matter?  They just wind up traumatizing a close friend or significant other as well.  They can even pay for 1hr of private instruction to get around it.   I think that many of these policies fall into the 'if it just saves one life' argument.

I went to GFH regularly because it was the closest range and allowed reloads which helped offset the hourly rate, their solo shooter policy did not matter because I'd just bring my own.  I still feel that they are the best range i've been to.  I can't find a 25 yrd indoor, let alone 50 yrds in my area  I also would love it if all ranges would install doors like GFH has, where only 1 door can open at a time entering/exiting the range.  Plus they mark the port if you tell them you are collecting your brass so they don't sweep the casings away and regularly push a a nice pile to your port to help.  And it is nice to get away from power hungry RSO's, all brass is range property, and only ammo purchased at the range may be used places.

Locally none of my ranges allow reloads, but allow solo shooters.  I hardly ever use the range because of the no reloads.  I can't afford factory ammo at around 400 rounds a month..  So I just go to the sheriffs outdoor range which is free to use and they supply targets as well.  I don't fault them for their policy, but I have a hard time understanding it as the range waiver says they are not responsible for any damage or harm caused by ammunition.   Heck, I even recall the range in Hoboken selling reloads.

23 hours ago, FlyBri said:

So the store you bought the 365 from, they let you solo rent it before you bought it?

Which range? I like to shoot during my lunch hour sometimes as well, and I'm not always close to home to grab my tools

41 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

So the store you bought the 365 from, they let you solo rent it before you bought it?

Which range? I like to shoot during my lunch hour sometimes as well, and I'm not always close to home to grab my tools

I didn't rent from the store I bought from. Reloaderz in Wayne will rent to solo males with FID, and I hear RTSP will too.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:13 PM, JackDaWack said:

I was referring to the OP, who has his FPID. 

Do we not consistently argue about gun laws because they end up punishing primarily everyone over those "bad actors". 

The guy went through all the legal loopholes to obtain a firearm, and then gets stopped by these practices? 

I believe gunforhire will rent if you already have a pistol of your own present, or pay a 25 dollar fee for an RO to essentially evaluate and monitor you. 

I believe We Shoot has similar policy. I had to have one of my own guns with me in order to rent down there. It was still better the Shore Shot's policy where they wouldn't rent one to me, regardless of the fact that I had my own with me. Never set foot back in the place since then. I understand there's been some really horrible incidents at the ranges with suicides and I'm willing to do work with some of their restriction, but blanket bans are a sure way I won't set foot in there again.