Grima Squeakersen

Pennsylvania Non-resident Permit to Carry

This is a bit outdated - the info here was about some cities/towns allowing for FIDs to take the place of a NJ PTC.

Once you get your NJ PTC then you should be able to get a PA Non-res fairly easily.

From Facebook these counties are recommended:

Wayne County
Delaware County
York County
Schuylkill County

13 minutes ago, samiam said:

Thanks. Do you have a better link than the one I posted? Looks like Delaware County remains a good choice.

It does - according to this you can even do it online

https://delcopa.gov/sheriff/firearmslicenses.html

• Informative 1

My PA home is in Schuylkill County and the sheriff is Joseph Groody. When I applied for my PA resident permit, the first deputy I spoke to in his office tried to convince me I couldn't get a PA LTCF because I was a 'part-time resident' and told me categorically I must have a PA DL.

That is not true, and Sheriff Groody knew it wasn't true. Consequently he accepted our applications with proof of residence and our NJ DLs, and after the appropriate checks granted our resident LTCFs.

I concluded that he is a fair sheriff who knows the law and enforces it as written. So I would recommend trying him for a non-resident LTCF. He just won re-election last year, and we both voted for him. The first Democrat either of us have ever voted for.

• Like 2

Once upon a time, PA honored the Florida non-resident permit. I even wrote to the AG and actually got a signed letter in response. I need to find it and scan it into my computer. They have since changed the reciprocity agreement.

Based on the current law, you should be able to get your PA CCW license without much trouble.

7 hours ago, g17owner said:

Once upon a time, PA honored the Florida non-resident permit. I even wrote to the AG and actually got a signed letter in response. I need to find it and scan it into my computer. They have since changed the reciprocity agreement.

Based on the current law, you should be able to get your PA CCW license without much trouble.

$20 fill out application online they have 45 days to approve.. make an appt, go over to county  take your pic sign your paper and out the door..  NO qualifications NO notaries NO fingerprints NO restricted firearms NO passport photos NO judges/prosecutors. Gosh we live in a prison..~le sigh ....3 more years and I'm outta here!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I'm going to do this as well since my side of the family resides mostly in PA.  I grew up there and have most of my friends still residing there.  I'll try Bucks County first, since it's the closest.

not all counties accept non residents according to those links... Delaware County and Northampton look like the only 2x close to me. Bucks is the closest to me but they have it listed as "unknown". . Guess Delaware would be my go to.   

10 minutes ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

not all counties accept non residents according to those links... Delaware County and Northampton look like the only 2x close to me. Bucks is the closest to me but they have it listed as "unknown". . Guess Delaware would be my go to.   

I understand that.  I have a close friend who has a unicorn civilian permit for Jersey.  He went to the sheriff's office in Bucks a long time ago to get his PA LTCF.  They just wanted to see his NJ permit and signed off on the PA LTCF in about 10 minutes.  They've got to be expecting an influx of new applications now.

Berks County is also an easy-going Sheriff's department for this.  It has been said on another site that they have an office at the Reading airport and it is a quick and easy process.

Even when I lived in Pennsylvania, I would call first to make sure PICS was up and running smoothly at that time.

In Carbon county (back in 2013) i was literally out with my license in 20 minutes.

59 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

If anyone knows which county actually will issue permit, that would be helpful. In the supposedly "good" counties they are saying they don't issue non resident permits.

Try Wayne county.

https://waynecountypa.gov/509/License-to-Carry-Information-Application

• Informative 1

33 minutes ago, samiam said:

PICS is the Pennsy equivalent of FARS, more or less?

Since you mentioned PICS...

Once I found an FFL in PA that understood and accepted the law and that I could purchase firearms in PA as a PA resident with a NJ DL, it was time for my first PICS check. The first time the FFL made the call, I ended up explaining the law to the PICS agent, who then summoned a supervisor to confirm I wasn't making it up.

And I wasn't, so the approval went through. The frontline agents aren't always familiar with the law as written, as with some sheriff's deputies. I was that FFL's first sale to someone with a NJ DL.

About a year later at the same FFL, the same clerk told me about his sale to a Canadian citizen who was also a U.S. resident. His approval was delayed about a half hour; they went through ICE.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

$20 fill out application online they have 45 days to approve.. make an appt, go over to county  take your pic sign your paper and out the door..  NO qualifications NO notaries NO fingerprints NO restricted firearms NO passport photos NO judges/prosecutors. Gosh we live in a prison..~le sigh ....3 more years and I'm outta here!! 

I have gone to both Lackawanna and Center Counties for mine and Cindy's permits. Takes about 20 minutes and you walk out with your permit. Experience was very pleasant at both counties.

I applied online to Delaware County for the non resident PA LTCF 4 days ago.

Called Sherriff's Dept to confirm that they issue non res permits and lady confirmed they do. There may be a wait because she said 700+ application backlog but I uploaded all my info online (including NJ PCH, FID)

Bad news boys. I filled out all application info and it was rejected today with Wayne county.  Reason is that on the bottom of every NJ card it states “if revoked or employment is terminated, permit must be returned to…” because this is on the card they read it as though we are only receiving this because of employment. I just got off the phone with them, they are super helpful, but will not approve even though this has nothing to do with employment. Will try another county, but don’t use Wayne.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, CMJeepster said:

I'm going to do this as well since my side of the family resides mostly in PA.  I grew up there and have most of my friends still residing there.  I'll try Bucks County first, since it's the closest.

I went to Bucks county and they no longer give to out of state residents

On 8/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, father-of-three said:

Berks County is also an easy-going Sheriff's department for this.  It has been said on another site that they have an office at the Reading airport and it is a quick and easy process.

Even when I lived in Pennsylvania, I would call first to make sure PICS was up and running smoothly at that time.

In Carbon county (back in 2013) i was literally out with my license in 20 minutes.

I called Berks and they will not accept out of state residents.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:11 AM, samiam said:
59 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I went to Bucks county and they no longer give to out of state residents

I called Berks and they will not accept out of state residents.

Farther away, but Perry county was attempting to issue LTCFs for NJ residents with only a firearms ID card recently.

Unless things have changed recently, Centre county has issued them for many years.

It has been my understanding that NY residents have been able to obtain them from Pennsylvania.

Screenshot_2022-08-22-12-37-56.png

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

Farther away, but Perry county was attempting to issue LTCFs for NJ residents with only a firearms ID card recently.

Unless things have changed recently, Centre county has issued them for many years.

It has been my understanding that NY residents have been able to obtain them from Pennsylvania.

I know a few people that got PA LTCF from Perry County with just their FID.  After the initial rush - the PA AG told the Sheriff there to stand down until further guidance.  I contacted them again before the Bruen SCOTUS decision and they were still in holding pattern.

Now that we are able to get a NJ PTC then I believe they'll use that instead of just FID.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, father-of-three said:

Centre county has issued them for many years.

Center County was issuing them in November when Cindy and I went out there to renew hers.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:44 AM, glockdoc said:

I applied online to Delaware County for the non resident PA LTCF 4 days ago.

Called Sherriff's Dept to confirm that they issue non res permits and lady confirmed they do. There may be a wait because she said 700+ application backlog but I uploaded all my info online (including NJ PCH, FID)

I just applied in DelCo so hopefully it goes smoothly.