Grima Squeakersen

Pennsylvania Non-resident Permit to Carry

Applied to York PA now that I have my NJ PTC in hand. I live in Sussex and ShopRite moved from montague to Matamoras so I’m in PA very often. Unfortunately all the nearby counties said they aren’t doing NR permits so it’s a 3 hour drive. 

• FacePalm 1

10 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Applied to York PA now that I have my NJ PTC in hand. I live in Sussex and ShopRite moved from montague to Matamoras so I’m in PA very often. Unfortunately all the nearby counties said they aren’t doing NR permits so it’s a 3 hour drive. 

Did you call Lackawanna Co? I went there for mine but that was prior to the scamdemic.

12 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

I’m in the middle of the process for a non resident permit with Monroe county. Just returned the form they asked my local PD to fill out and have notarized. Hopefully I’ll have my permit in the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

I didn’t. They have on their website that they shipped issuing to out of state residents.

Well that's a bummer. I guess Center County is where I'll go to renew.

Applied on Friday, received approval today. Pickup on Thursday. York county so it’s a drive but Delaware county would be a drive plus I get to wait longer. I go to PA often as I live near the border, and every trip there to shop or just hang out is a pain in the neck now. Plus it gives me a few more states as backup to FL and UT. So I’m glad to get it ASAP. If you’re willing to drive, York is a good alternative. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Applied on Friday, received approval today. Pickup on Thursday. York county so it’s a drive but Delaware county would be a drive plus I get to wait longer. I go to PA often as I live near the border, and every trip there to shop or just hang out is a pain in the neck now. Plus it gives me a few more states as backup to FL and UT. So I’m glad to get it ASAP. If you’re willing to drive, York is a good alternative. 

Do you know if I can go over to DelCo and have it done in the same day?!? or is all online? 

2 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

It is not same day.  you can apply in person but they will make you come back after approval to pick up.

appreciate the feedback... one trip it is lol I think my county is checking "see court order" (Burlington) hope that won't be an issue. 

1 minute ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

appreciate the feedback... one trip it is lol I think my county is checking "see court order" (Burlington) hope that won't be an issue. 

I submitted a copy of my court order(Gloucester) and there was no issue.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, Kadayo said:

Just received a call form the Monroe County Sheriff's office. They are mailing me a form that has to be signed by my police department and also notarized. Quick action at least. 2 days.

Update:

Form received on 9/30.  Brought to local PD the same day. Form picked up from local PD on 10/7. Mailed back to Monroe county Sheriff same day and they received it yesterday 10/11. Received a call today from Monroe county sheriff to set up appointment for pickup. 10/27 10:30am. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Picked up this morning in York. Also took the opportunity to do my first road trip in my new car. 

York was a breeze. If you’re going there go to the satellite office. Much easier than downtown at the court house.  

Applied Friday night, received approval on Tuesday. Picked up today. The deputy at the front desk was helpful and friendly and she explained everything. 

They will ask for a copy of your NJ permit by email when you renew your NJ permit in 2 years and if you don’t send it they will revoke your LTCF. Just something to bear in mind.

Those of us up North can also go to Wayne county. A bit less of a drive. I could have gone there but I knew others who went to York. Oh well. 

• Like 2

I went back to check a number of sheriff departments that were refusing to issue to out of state residents. Suddenly that language is gone from their websites and now they seem to be accepting out of state licenses. For example Pike County PA is accepting out of state which is amazing because they had a big notice on their website before that out of state is too much trouble and they will not accept from out of state.

I guess that the Bruen decision has had some effect? Or that other counties are seeing a spike in applications and these other counties are asking the non issuing counties to accept out of state apps in order to lessen the workload?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

If an officer asked you if there is a weapon in the car, you have 2 choices:

1. Tell the truth, whether it is yes or no. DO NOT LIE. Rather than lie, see option 2
  2. Execute your 5th Amendment Right to remain silent.

It is important to note, that the 5th Amendment is NOT self-executing. You actually have to state: "I am exercising my 5th Amendment Right to remain silent and not answer questions". The police CANNOT compel you to answer questions.

Additionally, the Supreme Court has ruled that exercising your 5th Amendment Right to remain silent cannot be used as a basis for reasonable suspicion or probable cause. 

Possession of a firearm, in my opinion, is also not any sort of probable cause or reasonable suspicion. That officer would need to  suspect you of committing, have committed, or about to commit a crime. But a generality, without a specific suspicion, that a firearm equals potential yet unspecified and unknown criminal activity, is on very shaky legal ground at best. 

Basically, an officer cannot search your car based on your decision to invoke the 5th. 

It is my understanding that they can pull you out and do a frisk (not a search) and possibly search the immediately accessible areas of the interior of the vehicle if they think you might have a weapon. The areas within the driver's (and maybe passengers, if any) immediate reach.

I am not a lawyer. Sharing pieces of information that are of high interest to me that I have studied a bit. Also have a criminal justice degree which is where I remember some of this stuff from.

Do your own research, don't rely on my opinion.

3 hours ago, glockdoc said:

picked mine up from DelCo yesterday after I was approved a few weeks ago. 

Was in and out in under 4 mins. They just asked to see my ID and NJ PTC. Took photo and got my signature which goes on permit. Highly recommend them

How long did it take for approval? 

I've been reading that some people claim to have been denied by PA counties for having an attached court order of any capacity with their NJ PTC. One guy on FB claims his restrictions are only for specific guns, but the PA County he went to denied him for this reason.

Can anyone here confirm if their NJ PTC is checked See Below, or See Court Order, and have successfully received their PA non resident carry permit?

I'm assuming anyone who has been approved, their actual PTC is checked No Restrictions and PA is not privy to any attached court order, no matter the type of restriction.

TIA

1 hour ago, Ficus said:

How long did it take for approval? 

I think about 3 weeks after i applied online i got notification of approval

31 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

I've been reading that some people claim to have been denied by PA counties for having an attached court order of any capacity with their NJ PTC. One guy on FB claims his restrictions are only for specific guns, but the PA County he went to denied him for this reason.

Can anyone here confirm if their NJ PTC is checked See Below, or See Court Order, and have successfully received their PA non resident carry permit?

I'm assuming anyone who has been approved, their actual PTC is checked No Restrictions and PA is not privy to any attached court order, no matter the type of restriction.

TIA

I guess that largely depends on the PA county. FWIW my NJ PTC was issued by Hudson County and listed the 3 handguns I qualified with on the back of my permit. 

no one asked me for any court order in PA. 

16 minutes ago, glockdoc said:

I think about 3 weeks after i applied online i got notification of approval

I guess that largely depends on the PA county. FWIW my NJ PTC was issued by Hudson County and listed the 3 handguns I qualified with on the back of my permit. 

no one asked me for any court order in PA. 

Some may consider the permit "restricted", which is why you might get denied 

Confirmed from a reliable source (who works at a PA Sheriff dept) that all counties are going to accept out of state apps with an unrestricted permit. However, not all will have same day issuance. By PA law they have up to 45 days. Some do take the 45 days or close to it. 

As far as handguns listed being a restriction, that's not consistent at all. Some will say it is, others will say it's not. 

16 hours ago, Lucky Lefty said:

TIA

My permit has "see court order" checked, I submitted a copy of my court order and had no issues with Delco.

• Thanks 1

Because the original website link from the first spost is so outdated and wrong, I went through several PA county sheriff's office websites to get updated info on if they will issue a Non-Resident License To Carry Permit or not.  

Adams County says it WILL issue NR LTC if you already have a CCW Adams County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director (permitium.com)

Allegheny County says it WILL issue NR LTC - Firearms FAQ - Allegheny County Sheriff's Office (sheriffalleghenycounty.com)

Armstrong is NOT issuing NR LTC - License to Carry (armstrong.pa.us)

Berks County is NOT issuing NR LTC - Berks County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director (permitium.com)

Bucks County is NOT issuing NR LTC - Carry License | Bucks County, PA

Chester Co MAY issue NR LTC - Firearms Licensing Division | Chester County, PA - Official Website (chesco.org)

Delaware County is issuing NR LTC - Firearm Licenses - Delaware County, Pennsylvania (delcopa.gov)

Lancaster Co is NOT issuing NR LTC - FIREARMS UNIT - LICENSE TO CARRY PERMIT/LICENSE TO SELL | Lancaster County, PA - Official Website (lancastercountypa.gov)

Lehigh is issuing NR LTC - LicenseToCarryInstructions.pdf (lehighcounty.org)

Montgomery Co is NOT issuing NR LTC - Gun Permits | Montgomery County, PA - Official Website (montcopa.org)

Monroe is issuing NR LTC - https://www.monroecountypa.gov/departments/sheriff/resources/concealed-weapons

Northhampton is NOT issuing NR LTC - License to Carry Firearms (northamptoncounty.org)

Pike County is issuing NR LTC - https://cms7files.revize.com/pikecountypa/Document Center/Courts & Law/Sheriffs Office/LTCApplication2.24.23.pdf 

Schuylkill Co say it WILL issue NR LTC - Schuylkill County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director (permitium.com)

Wayne Co says it WILL issue NR LTC - Wayne County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director (permitium.com)

York Co is Issuing NR LTC but contingent on maintaining NJ CCW.  - License to Carry | York County, PA (yorkcountypa.gov)

PA-county.jpg

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, Kadayo said:

Monroe county is issuing to non residents. Picking mine up next week. 

Interesting.  Their form says out of state needs to check to see if they have reciprocity.  But that was from 2020, so maybe they changed.  Good to know they are issuing.  Will update.