Grima Squeakersen

Pennsylvania Non-resident Permit to Carry

15 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't know what the original title was - I just changed it to Pennsylvania Non-resident Permit to Carry   ... 

If that's the improper label... let me know and I'll revise it. Thank you! 

I'd say that's appropriate.  Or, "Counties in PA that respect the 2nd Amendment."  Unfortunately, not all do.  No-go in Bucks, Montgomery, Philadelphia County (yes, it's a county), Berks...

• Haha 1

According to PA state law… same as every other state. A single county cannot over ride the state permit. Pa state permits are valid throughout Pennsylvania including Philadelphia.

Go to the PA state police web site and do a search for PA carry permits. The entire commonwealth is covered and that includes Philly. If you live in Philly you have to apply in Philly.

ttps://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx

Edited by M. Cornicello

On 12/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, ESB said:

Just called Lehigh to see if they issue Non-Resident LTC and they do.  You just stop in (before 3pm) and hand them the form (or fill it out there), show them your NJ ID and NJ CCW, pay $20.  They will take pics there.  They then mail you your LTC in 3 weeks if approved.  

Sounds reasonable..

11 hours ago, M. Cornicello said:

I did the Montgomery County online then waited for an email and then went to get my picture taken by them and they handed it to me in 15 minutes..  

https://delawarepa.permitium.com/ccw/application?permittype=new

easy and fast. $25 and that was it…

Montco or Delco? Your link is for Delco.

10 hours ago, M. Cornicello said:

Sorry yes, I did exactly as the link instructed. My apologies I never go into Pa for anything really…. But I followed the link 100% and went to the courthouse and was in and out pretty quickly.

Michael

How long ago did you do it?

The Montgomery County website currently says:

********There is no same day issuance of permits********
********We do not accept emailed, faxed or mailed applications********
********We do not issue Non-Resident Permits********

https://montcopa.org/401/Gun-Permits

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Lehigh County process:  Drive to their Sherriff's office in Allentown and fill out their form and they make a copy of your NJ ID and NJ CCW permit.  Pay $20 CASH and have your picture taken.  A week later they mail you your PA LTC.  No other BS.  

https://www.lehighcounty.org/Departments/Concealed-Carry-Permit

Thanks for sharing.

I'll give that a shot next week.

Hi Folks, NY resident here.  I applied on line to Pike County on 3/1.  They asked me to call for an appointment, which turned out to be today, 3/15.  I went there today and picked it up.  In and out in 5 minutes with a very nicely laminated permit.  They were very pleasant, even friendly. 

• Informative 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:27 PM, g17owner said:

If an officer asked you if there is a weapon in the car, you have 2 choices:

1. Tell the truth, whether it is yes or no. DO NOT LIE. Rather than lie, see option 2
  2. Execute your 5th Amendment Right to remain silent.

It is important to note, that the 5th Amendment is NOT self-executing. You actually have to state: "I am exercising my 5th Amendment Right to remain silent and not answer questions". The police CANNOT compel you to answer questions.

Additionally, the Supreme Court has ruled that exercising your 5th Amendment Right to remain silent cannot be used as a basis for reasonable suspicion or probable cause. 

Possession of a firearm, in my opinion, is also not any sort of probable cause or reasonable suspicion. That officer would need to  suspect you of committing, have committed, or about to commit a crime. But a generality, without a specific suspicion, that a firearm equals potential yet unspecified and unknown criminal activity, is on very shaky legal ground at best. 

Basically, an officer cannot search your car based on your decision to invoke the 5th. 

It is my understanding that they can pull you out and do a frisk (not a search) and possibly search the immediately accessible areas of the interior of the vehicle if they think you might have a weapon. The areas within the driver's (and maybe passengers, if any) immediate reach.

I am not a lawyer. Sharing pieces of information that are of high interest to me that I have studied a bit. Also have a criminal justice degree which is where I remember some of this stuff from.

Do your own research, don't rely on my opinion.

I don't know what this fascination with invoking the 5A.  If you are doing something legal, transporting firearms, carrying firearms, and you get arrested.  You'll probably pay $1000 for a good criminal defense lawyer to get the charges dropped.  Then you'll recover it in a false arrest lawsuit.

Invoking the 5A might make you feel good. It will get you nowhere. If you're legal tell the truth.

• Agree 1

I applied in person today at the Delaware County PA Sheriff's office.  Was in and out in 20 minutes.  They were very pleasant and I gave them my PA application, a copy of my NJ CCW card and a $20 bill. They took my picture and said I would receive a notice in the mail within 2 weeks to come back to pickup my PA permit.  I asked them to please thank the Sheriff for helping us NJ people out and they promised they would pass that along to him!  Most PA Sheriffs refuse to issue to non residents and those that do, deserve our gratitude!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I applied in person today at the Delaware County PA Sheriff's office.  Was in and out in 20 minutes.  They were very pleasant and I gave them my PA application, a copy of my NJ CCW card and a $20 bill. They took my picture and said I would receive a notice in the mail within 2 weeks to come back to pickup my PA permit.  I asked them to please thank the Sheriff for helping us NJ people out and they promised they would pass that along to him!  Most PA Sheriffs refuse to issue to non residents and those that do, deserve our gratitude!

Kind of a shame they all don't issue to out of state citizens with ccw. 

Glad you got one though!

54 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Kind of a shame they all don't issue to out of state citizens with ccw. 

Glad you got one though!

It appears it's up to each county's Sheriff!  I strongly suggest everyone who sometimes finds themselves in PA and especially Philadelphia, take full advantage of this opportunity while it still exists! 

• Like 1

I found that post Bruen, a lot of sheriffs went the other way and started issuing NR permits. Pike for example was no issue to non res for a long time. Then when Bruen dropped, within a couple of months they were issuing permits again. I couldn't wait so I went to York. 

23 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I found that post Bruen, a lot of sheriffs went the other way and started issuing NR permits. Pike for example was no issue to non res for a long time. Then when Bruen dropped, within a couple of months they were issuing permits again. I couldn't wait so I went to York. 

Still, most counties in PA refuse to issue to non-residents! 

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 1

21 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Still, most counties in PA refuse to issue to non-residents! 

According to PA state law they are required to issue. Some refuse knowing that the applicant will just go to another county because it's cheaper than filing a lawsuit.

I have heard that a sternly worded letter from an attorney works also.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, brucin said:

According to PA state law they are required to issue. Some refuse knowing that the applicant will just go to another county because it's cheaper than filing a lawsuit.

I have heard that a sternly worded letter from an attorney works also.

Why go out of your way to give the fee to a sheriff who behaves like that?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Why go out of your way to give the fee to a sheriff who behaves like that?

Because if enough people do it it will bring change same thing with ccw in nj people botched and vomplained we couldn't get it.  Now that we can they find excuses not to get it.  Cost hoops can't carry here or there etc.  Every person that can legally get a handgun should get a permit to carry.  The more numbers we have the better we look.  I know it sucks at this moment but we will prevail.  Same thing with people not contributing to the nra or njrp what to they do for jersey well u are seeing it now.

21 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

Because if enough people do it it will bring change same thing with ccw in nj people botched and vomplained we couldn't get it.  Now that we can they find excuses not to get it.  Cost hoops can't carry here or there etc.  Every person that can legally get a handgun should get a permit to carry.  The more numbers we have the better we look.  I know it sucks at this moment but we will prevail.  Same thing with people not contributing to the nra or njrp what to they do for jersey well u are seeing it now.

Or you could just go to a county where the sheriff isn't a dick.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

A valid point but my fight is here in the PRNJ, not in PA or elsewhere!

7 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Or you could just go to a county where the sheriff isn't a dick.

An easier answer! The path of least resistance for sure!  I helps that Delaware County PA is only 30 minutes drive for me. Why would I drive 2 hours away, twice, just to make a point?