What's going on with BCM? It is one of the only companies that hasn't really updated anything on their website except for a few small items. While pretty good looking new companies are popping up all over, seem to have well made products with great warranties I've always wondered why BCM doesn't seem to care about marketing or getting their information out to the public. A few years ago if you put in a Google search "Best AR" BCM would def be on that list. Now, you see the new companies with good motivation to make some nice hardware. I try to follow BCM, but there is never any news.

BCM basically stopped making guns. I mean go look for one on their site. Of their resellers, I haven't seen one in stock in YEARS. Like pre-panic years. 

BCM never really made anything. They were an assembler who contracted out to job shops. And a lot of those bigger job shops now sell direct. Which means their primary model for firearms, which was to be slightly cheaper but well constructed got a lot of pressure on it. 

The reality is that the margin on a charging handle or muzzle device is HUGE. The margin on a barrel you didn't make, a BCG you didn't make, and a receiver you didn't make isn't huge. That makes it hard to keep margin in a fully made gun while under price pressure form the likes of aero precisions, faxon, etc. 

Which is why you don't see barrels and receivers on their site anymore. They used to cater to the builders from soup to nuts, but not anymore. They sell uppers to the basic assembler, and high margin bits to everyone else. I suspect realty was something along the lines of them having the choice of being a million dollar business that has half a million in profit, or be a two million dollar business that has 400k in profit. Fiddle with those numbers until they are scaled right. I'm guessing there will be no stock on full guns until prices ramp up again. 

They would not be the first company to realize that life is simpler and involves more spendable cash making unregulated $70 accessories that cost $10 to make and stuffing them in padded mailers. 

• Agree 1

I always thought BCM as a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda company. 

They're not the latest and greatest company... they have a good reputation, and it probably wouldn't payoff to try and be the next KAC. 

BCM has moved with the industry standards over time. I really like their stripped uppers and price point, throw on my favorite DD lite hand gaurd, spikes lower with magpul furniture and a JP enhanced bolt... you have a rifle very few companies offer off the shelf at a great price point. 

My guess is that BCM's ownership is content with their niche in the market, and don't want to expand for whatever reason. They could absolutely sell more rifles if they wanted to, seeing how none of their rifles, lowers or uppers stay on shelves for long. It's much easier to find a BCM lower and upper separately and slap them together, which is what most of their customers likely want to do anyway.

you guys are wrong on this as bcm does make plenty in house and their rifles are considered very reliable.  Not a fan but an ace is an ace and spade is a spade.  If I'm not buying Colt, LMT, KAC then it's Centurion Arms (have or had a few and they are outstanding)   DD, Troy, are out.  PRI actually has great stuff but not a marketer

I will say the two BCM I had were not nearly as accurate as I'd of liked but quality parts (overpriced imho)

11 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

you guys are wrong on this as bcm does make plenty in house and their rifles are considered very reliable.  Not a fan but an ace is an ace and spade is a spade.  If I'm not buying Colt, LMT, KAC then it's Centurion Arms (have or had a few and they are outstanding)   DD, Troy, are out.  PRI actually has great stuff but not a marketer

I will say the two BCM I had were not nearly as accurate as I'd of liked but quality parts (overpriced imho)

What did they make in house, it’s not their bolts, carriers or barrels, that’s been fine over publicly with receipts. 

16 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

What did they make in house, it’s not their bolts, carriers or barrels, that’s been fine over publicly with receipts. 

few make their own barrels but will cut/tool them, as bcm does

2 companies make 99% of AR mkt bcg so hard to fault anyone on that.  Shit half this other boards actually think Toolcraft makes bolts!

receivers etc, they have contracted to machine shop with their own specs and their qc is industry regarded as one of the best

Only 2 companies do chf in house for 99% of the mkt.

Look, I'm not a BCM fan as whatever they do on the milling and lathing machines isn't working or wasn't working for me and many others in the regards of accuracy but trying to hammer a company cause they don't make all their shit in house is monumentally retarded given the state of the industry.

took this from the hide as they have reps there and m4.  simple search would answer most questions.....

'BCM has significant investments in manufacturing machinery and equipment.  (Spent later part of last week setup up a new grinding operation)
BCM has significant investments in all our own tooling. (fixturing, QC, uppers, lowers, charging handles, handguards, lower parts, stocks, grips, etc, etc, etc, … I know I am missing a bunch)
BCM has its own engineering department and holds a number of patents with dozens more applications at the US Pat office.  (IMHO our engineering dept is the best in the industry)
BCM has its own prints, specs, data package on all parts with tolerancing to the mil-spec or often better.
BCM has one of the best QC dept, procedures, and track records in the AR15 industry.  We have made significant investments in equipment for this as well.  Some of the QC procedures and tooling BCM has created is now being implemented by multiple USGI contractors for .mil sales.  (BCM built the tooling and/or supplied the procedures and prints)
BCM makes OEM parts for some of the biggest names in the industry.
BCM family (of companies) is operating in multiple locations right now, maybe more in 16?

again, I don't own anything from them, not a fan

I stick to colt, lmt, kac, and ca

oh I did put a cheap x39 side charger together with Aero and BCA and freaking love it (reliable and shockingly accurate) so not a name snob but prefer quality and proven performance

00000.jpg