PK90

HOAGIE, HERO, SUB, or GRINDER!?

HOAGIE, HERO, SUB, or GRINDER!?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the delicious cold-cut sandwich indigenous to NJ?

• HOAGIE
    • HERO
    • SUBMARINE
    • GRINDER

I never heard a sub sandwich referred to as a ‘grinder’ until I was stationed in Groton, Ct. the submarine Capitol of the world (because of Electric Boat, the submarine base, and submarine training facility).

I found it ironic that they didn’t call the sandwich a ‘sub’….

I later found out that a ‘grinder’ refers to a hot sandwich, such as a chicken parm, or a meatball grinder. 
Hoagie refers to a cold sandwich, such as an Italian Hoagie. 

A ‘sub, or hero’, is more of a generic term used for either hot or cold sandwich. 

That’s how I think of them, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I never heard a sub sandwich referred to as a ‘grinder’ until I was stationed in Groton, Ct. the submarine Capitol of the world

Oh...Oh... I know the answer to this one.  I remember asking my dad about this when I was a kid.

Subs aka submarine sandwiches were called grinders because of shipyard workers.  Back in the whatevers, probably the 30's. if you walked by the build yards, there were always sparks flying from all the welding and sanding and GRINDING.  The workers were known as "grinders". 

The sandwiches were very cheap, usually made with tough meat.  Sometimes the meat was so tough, it actually was run through a grinder.  None the less, they were very popular with the economically challenged shipyard workers (AKA grinders) and were dubbed grinder sandwiches because they were eaten by grinders.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Oh...Oh... I know the answer to this one.  I remember asking my dad about this when I was a kid.

Subs aka submarine sandwiches were called grinders because of shipyard workers.  Back in the whatevers, probably the 30's. if you walked by the build yards, there were always sparks flying from all the welding and sanding and GRINDING.  The workers were known as "grinders". 

The sandwiches were very cheap, usually made with tough meat.  Sometimes the meat was so tough, it actually was run through a grinder.  None the less, they were very popular with the economically challenged shipyard workers (AKA grinders) and were dubbed grinder sandwiches because they were eaten by grinders.

I heard a similar explanation 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

It's never a "Meatball Hoagie" or "Chicken Parm Hoagie" - it's always Sub.

Cheese Steak Hoagie was my goto. Open your mind to the beautiful things in life.

• Like 2

Elsie's in Red Bank and Joyce's in Lincroft made the best subs ever.  The last time I was at Elsie's, they still had the same rickety wood screen door that slams shut behind you.  That was at least 15 years ago.  Anyone who went to St. James/RBC definitely knows Elsie's.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

Along the same lines of the 9+ year old Pork Roll or Taylor Ham thread, I give you the HOAGIE, HERO, SUB, or GRINDER thread.

< ME ...... HOAGIES FOREVER.

Everybody else ... :gay:

What the fuck is a hoagie?  Grinder....isn't that some kinda app ?

It will always be a hero....but I aint from jersey .....don't go to Brooklyn and try to order that shit....

Lol

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Hoagies are for Philly Phaggots

Grinder too?  :popcorn:

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

I use sub (not submarine) and hoagie pretty much interchangeably.  I never use hero or grinder. And I just call a cheese steak a cheese steak.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Grinder too?  :popcorn:

Nobody under 80 calls 'em grinders anymore.  On rare occasion, I would hear my visiting NY relatives call em Heroes.  But nothing sandwich related irks me more than calling a sub a hoagie. Not even northtards calling pork roll ham.

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 2

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

I use sub (not submarine) and hoagie pretty much interchangeably.  I never use hero or grinder. And I just call a cheese steak a cheese steak.  

Cheese steak with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and onions is a CSH.

5 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

A ‘sub, or hero’, is more of a generic term used for either hot or cold sandwich. 

These are the 2 we always used growing up in the city as in NY, never heard of the other 2 till I moved to Jersey.

Only thing I remember different was the Italian club or turkey club.

4 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Mikes Subs on Arnold Ave in Pt Pleasant always had the best subs...and they still do.

Lenny's Colonial Ranch Market

Bridge ave, PP

You will thank me.

If you could eat a whole sub, god bless ya!

36 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Lenny's Colonial Ranch Market

Bridge ave, PP

You will thank me.

If you could eat a whole sub, god bless ya!

I used to live one block from Lenny's he wasnt even there yet when we we eating Mikes back in the 70's.  Lortons deli down the road on bridge ave had the best coleslaw in the entire world.

2 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

While this may have relevance on a national level, we are talking Jersey here, so:

It's soda

Pop is the old man

Coke should be capitalized

In Texas, everyone orders a ‘coke’, and then a ‘flavor’ is specified….

Customer: “I’ll have a coke, please”. 

Waitress: “What flavor, sweetie?”

Customer: “7-Up, please honey”. 

EDIT: The ONLY exception to this rule is when you order a Dr. Pepper. That is called out by name from the get-go. 
Especially if you are in Dublin, Texas. 

• Like 1