Bushmaster1313

With Qualification out to 25 yards -- What members using to qualify?

For my qualification I had to shoot 10 of the 50 rounds at 25 yards.

Although I can do it, 25 yards is a bit far with a J Frame.

I qualified on a P365 and a P226.

Tip1: Practice before you try to qualify

Tip 2: As close as possible before your test, pop off a few rounds at 25 yards to make sure you are on target, but not enough to get tired.

Tip 3: Focus on your front sight, let the target blur, aim for the middle and use a strong even pull.

Tip 4: Don't try for perfection 

• Thanks 1

I was under the impression that the qual only requires 6 or so rounds at 25 yards, so if you hit most of them at the shorter distances, the 25 becomes moot.  (But of course, I plan on hitting all of them with my Springfield Armory XD subcompact 9 mm, which is very similar to a Glock 26.)

I qualified at RTSP in Union and they only shoot to the 15yd line. 

Copied from RTSP website:

"Course of Fire:
• OWB Holster (Hip/Waist Only) Required
• 50 round total (per firearm)
• 10 rounds at 3 yards
• 10 rounds at 5 yards
• 10 rounds at 7 yards
• 10 rounds at 10 yards
• 10 rounds at 15 yards"

• Informative 1

I too have to shoot 10 rounds at 25 yards. My last range trip I went 6/10, 3/4 and then 9/10 at 25 yards. I’ll go again in the next couple of days and practice at 25 yards. I’m good at 15 yards in, except I tend to pull my first shot with shooting support hand only at 5 yards.  I plan to qualify in the next week or two with my Sig M11-A1 and Sig P320 Compact in 9 mm

I had no issues with a g19(98%)and p938(94%)at 25 yards.. pretty sure I hit all 7 shots for each at 25yards. Yes, practice! I spent the day prior with both and shot about 100 rounds each at 25yards, I didn't do well at first.. but got on target by the end. 

My misses were due to the relaxed nature of shooting a target at 7yards... how could I miss? lol... well pretty easily if you're not using the fundamentals you absolutely need to hit at 25. Don't rush like I did, maybe had some nervous bugs too when you start. 

J frame is about the size of the p938, but with less grip area less ergonomics IMO.. a J frame might be challenging. I also used an extended mag which bought me some extra real-estate. 

18 minutes ago, MikeL said:

Shitty pro tip. If the instructors are only counting misses at the very end, theoretically you could just miss the entire paper and score a 100%. 

I thought the exact same thing while qualifying.    OTOH I'd have to be blindfolded to miss the paper with my 92F that I've had for 34 years...

I scored 98 with my hk vp9sk. I pulled one cause I was trying to rush and head to work.  I actually heard someone say once they get to 25 yards it's better to miss big. Since there wont be a hole on the paper the instructor could say it went through one of the first ones (pending you punch a big enough hole on the first 25 or so shots)

3 minutes ago, MrPib said:

I thought the exact same thing while qualifying.    OTOH I'd have to be blindfolded to miss the paper with my 92F that I've had for 34 years...

I would've shot at my port neighbor's target lol

• Like 1

FYI, the Glock 26 gen 5 with the marksman barrel will allow you to make hits at 25 yds. The hits may not be precise but it can be done on the rather large Q target.  I was a bit tight for the range session but had only one miss for the RPO similar qual that I completed. The whole class took over 3 hours.     Application is in and now we wait to see how the Hillsborough PD, the Superior Court and the Somerset County prosecutors office handles it.   The fee is a $50 money order. I was told that ONLY money orders are accepted as payment and not bank checks.  Having completed classes and the qual; I would say that any gun owner that regularly practices who can consistently keep his shots on target can pass the RPO qual. The challenge is to do it with a small concealment firearm with a short sight length.

1 hour ago, DAHL said:

I would say that any gun owner that regularly practices who can consistently keep his shots on target can pass the RPO qual. The challenge is to do it with a small concealment firearm with a short sight length.

I would qualify that with someone who practices at 25 yards or thereabouts. If they only ever practice at 7 yards, maybe not so much.

• Agree 1

Just to note...

At GFH if you hit all your qualification rounds at 7 and 10 yards (38 total), you only need to hit another 2 out of the 6 @ 15 yards and the 6 @ 25 yards to pass with 40 hits.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, DAHL said:

FYI, the Glock 26 gen 5 with the marksman barrel will allow you to make hits at 25 yds. 

The challenge is to do it with a small concealment firearm with a short sight length.

This is false.

The subcompact Glocks (G26/G27 size) are inherently the most mechanically accurate pistols Glock makes - even with OEM barrels. You do not need a “marksman” barrel to get hits at 25 yards. You need to get training and practice.

Short sights and short barrels don’t matter out to 25 yrds regardless of the gun.

It’s the software, not the hardware.

• Agree 7

On 8/31/2022 at 11:52 PM, Chop328per said:

I qualified at RTSP in Union and they only shoot to the 15yd line. 

Copied from RTSP website:

"Course of Fire:
• OWB Holster (Hip/Waist Only) Required
• 50 round total (per firearm)
• 10 rounds at 3 yards
• 10 rounds at 5 yards
• 10 rounds at 7 yards
• 10 rounds at 10 yards
• 10 rounds at 15 yards"

Wow, that’s is very easy qual!

• Agree 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, DAHL said:

I would say that any gun owner that regularly practices who can consistently keep his shots on target can pass the RPO qual. The challenge is to do it with a small concealment firearm with a short sight length.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I would qualify that with someone who practices at 25 yards or thereabouts. If they only ever practice at 7 yards, maybe not so much.

An FBI type Q target is roughly 12" wide. If you're shooting 3" groups at 7 yards, that should translate to about an 11" group at 25 yards.  .  The fundamentals don't change as the distances change.

6 minutes ago, SJ Guns said:

An FBI type Q target is roughly 12" wide. If you're shooting 3" groups at 7 yards, that should translate to about an 11" group at 25 yards. The fundamentals don't change as the distances change.

But you can’t check that your fundamentals are correct if you only shoot at 7 yards. You can be tremendously sloppy and still group well, because the close distance is so forgiving. Shooting close hides many errors and gives a tremendous sense of false accomplishment.

Bottom line - If you can get good hits at 25yards, you’ll get your hits at 7. The opposite is absolutely not true.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, hostak126 said:

I qualified with a Glock G45 and a Sig P365x macro at Gun for Hire.

course of fire

24 at 7yds, 14 at 10yds, 6 at 15 and 25yds each.

100 on the Glock, 94 on the Sig

glock 43, piece of cake...should have 38 rounds in with 7 and 10 yards...only need 2 more out of the next 12 at 15 and 25

• Like 1