BlueOrbit

County by County?

I'm hearing that concealed carry permits are being handled differently by judges in each county: some require a court appearance, some are "restricting" permits to guns you've qualified on. Can we share experiences so we know what to expect in a given county? Anyone know what's happening in Camden & Burlington Counties?

Gloucester County: Concealed Carry Permit restricted to gun you qualify on

I have a feeling Middlesex county is going to be rough. I'm in Piscataway and I can't even set up a day to drop off my paperwork. The guy who does is on his 4 week vacation and he's also notorious for not calling people back. Not looking forward to the experience. 

I feel your pain.  The detective handling P2Ps in my town was also notorious for blocking progress.  He wouldn't answer his phone, wouldn't return messages, on the rare occasion when he would schedule an appointment he wouldn't be there...or at least that was what the front desk would tell me. Never a cancellation or an explanation, he just wouldn't show up.

I finally staked out the police station one day, and caught him coming into work.  I followed him to the door with a friendly "Hey, good to see you...I'm here to pick up my permit."  He did not look happy, but I got my permit.   I did not look happy when I saw the chief had signed it weeks earlier, but at least I had it.

I really hope someone else is in charge of permits now; I'll find out next month.

29 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is there anyway to fight this? It's so absurd we still can't use our rights in this state. It never stops 

One can complain to the Chief, or the Mayor, or seek redress through the courts, or ask StrikeForce to write a threatening letter.  Any of these might help.

In my case, I viewed staking out the police station as both a colossal waste of my time, and the simplest solution.

On 8/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I have a feeling Middlesex county is going to be rough. I'm in Piscataway and I can't even set up a day to drop off my paperwork. The guy who does is on his 4 week vacation and he's also notorious for not calling people back. Not looking forward to the experience. 

I never bothered leaving a message, I called the next day and he answered.  I dropped my paperwork off 2 days before his vacation and he went on a 3 week vacation.  He said he has already dropped off some paperwork at the courthouse for approval.  He will be back around the 6th.  The detective seemed cool to me.

Edited by Hobo
  • Like 1

Anthony Colandro said that Gloucester County is the only county where you must appear in front of the judge!

Gloucester County is also restricting carry to the gun you qualified with.  I will wait for them to get with the times before I bother applying here.:mad:

On 8/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, Cheflife15 said:

My township, Old Bridge, is approving most applications within 7-10days and sending them to judge.

Word is Judge in Middlesex has not signed any post Bruen.

18 hours ago, Shortfuse said:

Anyone know if any Lawyers or Organizations are working on getting rid of these restrictions especially #11

I would hope the ANJRPC Strikeforce is looking into this. If my Ocean County permit is issued with the restrictions, I will be contacting them to find out. 

Reviewing multiple threads, forums, websites, etc.  I think I got a good feel of the status as of today (9/12/2022)
Edit 9/13 - At least 1 person got theirs in Monmouth County (but this may be from the 2021 FPC Lawsuit)

• Atlantic County - No (Court Delay)
  • Bergen County - Yes (restricted by HG)
  • Burlington County - Yes (not sure of restrictions)
  • Camden County - Yes (Not sure of restrictions)
  • Cape May County - No (Court waiting on Guidance)
  • Cumberland County - Yes (No restrictions)
  • Essex County - No (PD Delays)
  • Gloucester County - Yes (Must appear before Judge [Zoom], Restricted by HG)
  • Hudson County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Hunterdon County - Yes (Restricted by HG on Court Order)
  • Mercer County - No (Court Delay)
  • Middlesex County - No (Court Delay - Judge Absence?)
  • Monmouth County - Yes - 1 (Special case from FPC Lawsuit - Restricted by HG + Additional restrictions)  - Court Delays/Additional Investigations on new applications
  • Morris County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Ocean County - Yes (May be Restricted - with extreme restrictions including Car Carry)
  • Passaic County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Salem County - No
  • Somerset County - No (Court delay from "high volume")
  • Sussex County - No (Court Delay)
  • Union County - No (Court possibly waiting on Objection time period)
  • Warren County - Yes (Unrestricted) - Some permits issued but now court is delaying

image.thumb.png.a7b0fca29a7471557e5db535dde1296b.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Thanks for the information, I just received my restricted Ocean County permit. Is there any legal effort being made to get a standardized set of regulations and eliminate the county by county discretionary system?

I believe there's something in the works by ANJRPC and possibly others.  I'm not 100% in the loop but I've heard things - not going to give away anything.  I'm sure there will be some announcements.