BlueOrbit

County by County?

As usual New Jersey can't do anything sensibly.

On the permit image above (and others posted) the statements of fact seem to be:

1. Your permit is Unrestricted. (The box is checked.)

2. You qualified with a S&W, Ruger, and Bersa. (How nice. But the 'See Below' box is not checked.)

Nowhere does it say you may only carry the firearms listed. And the statute says your permit is valid for any firearm you legally own.

I'm sure the only reason I read this that way is because I am not a lawyer. Or a member of NJ court apparatus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

if proof of ownership is the only criteria needed on the permit,  your shouldn't need to Pay to physically qualify with anymore than one handgun. and then just list any other guns  you can show proof of ownership for.   The state has a record already of the purchase...they granted you permission to buy it in the first place.   Multiple qualifications with similar handguns is absurd and costly.  The way I read the law...as long as you own it, you can carry it.

9 minutes ago, ALAN553 said:

if proof of ownership is the only criteria needed on the permit,  your shouldn't need to Pay to physically qualify with anymore than one handgun. and then just list any other guns  you can show proof of ownership for.   The state has a record already of the purchase...they granted you permission to buy it in the first place.   Multiple qualifications with similar handguns is absurd and costly.  The way I read the law...as long as you own it, you can carry it.

Sure. But then courts have been adding restrictions. Specifically, the courts have been restricting you to only the guns you qualify on.

Updated 9/19/22. HG = Handgun
Green = County has issued Permits
Red = County has NOT issued Permits
Yellow = County has issued at least 1 permit but there are other issues (see list below)

• Atlantic County - No (Court Delay)
  • Bergen County - Yes (HGs listed, Unrestricted checked)
  • Burlington County - Yes (First person picking up 9/20)
  • Camden County - Yes (Not sure of restrictions)
  • Cape May County - Yes (Not sure of restrictions)
  • Cumberland County - Yes (No restrictions)
  • Essex County - No (PD/Court Delays)
  • Gloucester County - Yes (Must appear before Judge, Restricted by HG)
  • Hudson County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Hunterdon County - Yes (Restricted by HG on Court Order)
  • Mercer County - No (Court Delay)
  • Middlesex County - No (Court Delay - Judge Absence?)
  • Monmouth County - Yes - 1 (Special case from FPC Lawsuit - Restricted by HG + Additional restrictions) - Court Delays/Additional Investigations on new applications
  • Morris County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Ocean County - Yes (May be Restricted - with extreme restrictions including Car Carry)
  • Passaic County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Salem County - No
  • Somerset County - No (Court delay from "high volume")
  • Sussex County - No (Court Delay)
  • Union County - No (Court Delay - possibly waiting on Objection time period)
  • Warren County - Yes (Unrestricted) - Some permits issued but now court is delaying

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative 1
  • FacePalm 1

Thanks for doing this, @Krdshrk. Some of these counties, frankly, I'm not surprised to see the red color... I figured there'd be some resistance from either PDs or judges. But, I am quite surprised to see that there's some wrenches in the works in Sussex and Warren, for instance. I was under the (perhaps false?) impression that those 2 counties not only had tons of gun owners, but they also had some of the state's few pro-2A politicians/PDs, etc. That's NOT at all where I would have expected to see problems developing. Am I wrong?  I guess I expected this map to virtually mimic the red vs. blue political maps of NJ...? :unsure: There's SOME overlap with those other maps, but not as much as I expected.

41 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you happen to have any additional information (or link to same) about the Cape May County issued permit(s)?

On the New Jersey Firearm Owners Syndicate there is a poll thread where people are submitting that they received a PTC.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/364613487270249/permalink/1652235901841328/

• Thanks 1

Quit it with the sniping , flaming and name calling - grow up.  Does it matter where people look?  This info was gleaned from all over - the more info we get the better so we have a clearer picture of what's happening.  

It looks like I have to update the map again as Salem County is approving permits.  

• Like 2

Does this mean we can go outside of Sussex county to get the superior court approval??????

Found under: 2c:58-4

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in section 2C:58-3c.,

1 hour ago, rockchef1 said:

Does this mean we can go outside of Sussex county to get the superior court approval??????

Found under: 2c:58-4

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in section 2C:58-3c.,

No, that only applies to non-residents and employees of an armored car company.  

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I joined that group, and there seems to be some confusion about whether the claim that a permit has been issued in Cape May County is accurate, or not. I'm waiting for clarification :icon_question:

I saw that - yeah I'm wondering too.

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I was referred by a member of that group to another FB group, "Cape May County CCW", for more information. What I read there after joining strongly suggests that:

• no permits to carry a handgun have been issued in Cape May County since the post-Bruen NJ AG directive removing justifiable need from the approval criteria;
  • the first group of applicants for whom local PD approval has been provided are scheduled for hearings before Judge J. Christopher Gibson in Cape May County Superior Court in Cape May Court House on October 7. There are apparently no NJSP-approved applicants in this group.

There appears to be at least one other PD-approved applicant scheduled for a hearing on October 21. Unfortunately, there seem to be indications that (at least for Atlantic and Cape May County residents), NJSP is not currently approving any applications.

Thanks - I will revise on the next round...

I saw where the Strike force was able to have the Monmouth County Prosecutor step back from requiring applicants to agree to restrictions. Has anyone heard of their efforts in the cases of Ocean County judge's letter of restrictions? 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, Krdshrk said:

Updated 9/19/22. HG = Handgun
Green = County has issued Permits
Red = County has NOT issued Permits
Yellow = County has issued at least 1 permit but there are other issues (see list below)

• Atlantic County - No (Court Delay)
  • Bergen County - Yes (HGs listed, Unrestricted checked)
  • Burlington County - Yes (First person picking up 9/20)
  • Camden County - Yes (Not sure of restrictions)
  • Cape May County - Yes (Not sure of restrictions)
  • Cumberland County - Yes (No restrictions)
  • Essex County - No (PD/Court Delays)
  • Gloucester County - Yes (Must appear before Judge, Restricted by HG)
  • Hudson County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Hunterdon County - Yes (Restricted by HG on Court Order)
  • Mercer County - No (Court Delay)
  • Middlesex County - No (Court Delay - Judge Absence?)
  • Monmouth County - Yes - 1 (Special case from FPC Lawsuit - Restricted by HG + Additional restrictions) - Court Delays/Additional Investigations on new applications
  • Morris County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Ocean County - Yes (May be Restricted - with extreme restrictions including Car Carry)
  • Passaic County - Yes (Restricted by HG)
  • Salem County - No
  • Somerset County - No (Court delay from "high volume")
  • Sussex County - No (Court Delay)
  • Union County - No (Court Delay - possibly waiting on Objection time period)
  • Warren County - Yes (Unrestricted) - Some permits issued but now court is delaying

What is the difference between Restricted by HG, and Restricted by HG on Court Order?  What are the implications of court order? 

13 minutes ago, ESB said:

What is the difference between Restricted by HG, and Restricted by HG on Court Order?  What are the implications of court order? 

Court Order = additional restrictions - Ocean county and others are adding on additional restrictions ad-hoc like you're not able to carry in a motor vehicle, etc.