ESB

What can't we buy/own now (Aug 2022)

There has been a lot of new laws (state and federal) and executive orders recently.  I'm having a hard time keeping track of what passed and is signed into law and when they take effect.  Can you update the following on whether they are now law and when the take effect.  

1) Semi-Auto AWB ban

2) 3D Printed, Polmer-80 Lower-80, etc Ghost guns (is this NJ only still and when did that go into effect?)

3) NJ Ammo registration (Anything over 1000 or is 2000 rounds State Police get notified)

4) Can you still build your own AR-15's?  

5) New overarching restrictions on where you can carry?

4 hours ago, ESB said:

There has been a lot of new laws (state and federal) and executive orders recently.  I'm having a hard time keeping track of what passed and is signed into law and when they take effect.  Can you update the following on whether they are now law and when the take effect.  

1) Semi-Auto AWB ban

2) 3D Printed, Polmer-80 Lower-80, etc Ghost guns (is this NJ only still and when did that go into effect?)

3) NJ Ammo registration (Anything over 1000 or is 2000 rounds State Police get notified)

4) Can you still build your own AR-15's?  

5) New overarching restrictions on where you can carry?

1. NJ's is still in effect...for now. Lawsuit has been initiated.

2. Illegal in NJ. Federally cannot be sold with a jig kit (per my understanding) and has been challenged in Fed court. 

3. I just bought 2000 rounds, so I'll let you know if I get a visit. 

4. Yes

5. Not in NJ, yet. Stay tuned.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lycokayaker said:

I was unaware there is a limit on max amount you can buy before SP is notified?  when did that come into play?

Just this year - put into place 7/5/22

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A1302/bill-text?f=A1500&n=1302_S2

The amended bill requires handgun ammunition retailers to immediately report to the State Police any transaction involving the sale, transfer, assignment, or disposition of 2,000 or more rounds of handgun ammunition and information relating to each transaction.

What's the latest on the 10rd magazine limit?  I remember with Bruen, a challenge to the ban was kicked back to the lower courts for review (or something to that extent), but I have not heard anything since.  I'm interested in some new toys, but would prefer to have the standard capacities and don't want to spend more money on new mags assuming the capacity limit gets thrown out.

27 minutes ago, RegRasc1 said:

What's the latest on the 10rd magazine limit?  I remember with Bruen, a challenge to the ban was kicked back to the lower courts for review (or something to that extent), but I have not heard anything since.  I'm interested in some new toys, but would prefer to have the standard capacities and don't want to spend more money on new mags assuming the capacity limit gets thrown out.

No movement yet - it's still in the lower court's hands.  

20 hours ago, RegRasc1 said:

I'm interested in some new toys, but would prefer to have the standard capacities and don't want to spend more money on new mags assuming the capacity limit gets thrown out.

IIRC, one interesting thing about the proposed semi-automatic weapons ban, is that it is only for guns that held more than 10 rounds at time of manufacture.  So guns that were bought as NJ legal with 10 rounds mags, would not fall under that law if it sees the light of day.  Something to consider.  

4 hours ago, ESB said:

Well, that's interesting.  That means an SKS with the original 10 round box magazine would be go to go.

IIRC, one interesting thing about the proposed semi-automatic weapons ban, is that it is only for guns that held more than 10 rounds at time of manufacture.  So guns that were bought as NJ legal with 10 rounds mags, would not fall under that law if it sees the light of day.  Something to consider.  

4 hours ago, ESB said:

I'm not clear on how that would apply.   Any AR could accept 30 round (standard capacity) mags at time of manufacture.   If bought in NJ, that gun may have come with NJ legal 10 round mags, perhaps as supplied by the manufacturer for guns destined for NJ, or swapped out by the FFL prior to purchase, or it may have come with no mags at all, and 10 rounders were bought here.  I don't think that means all ARs would not fall under that ban.   Am I missing something?

On 11/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, CMJeepster said:

Not yet, but "they" are working on it.

Dont forget you're supposed to register your existing body armor which I would love to see how they are going to pull that one off when my body armor has nothing to "register" it with.  Damn thing is ceramic plating and weighs a ton ....going to be hard to commit crimes wearing that. 

15 hours ago, IhateNJ said:

Dont forget you're supposed to register your existing body armor which I would love to see how they are going to pull that one off when my body armor has nothing to "register" it with.  Damn thing is ceramic plating and weighs a ton ....going to be hard to commit crimes wearing that. 

I lost mine in a boating accident recently.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:14 PM, 10X said:

I'm not clear on how that would apply.   Any AR could accept 30 round (standard capacity) mags at time of manufacture.   If bought in NJ, that gun may have come with NJ legal 10 round mags, perhaps as supplied by the manufacturer for guns destined for NJ, or swapped out by the FFL prior to purchase, or it may have come with no mags at all, and 10 rounders were bought here.  I don't think that means all ARs would not fall under that ban.   Am I missing something?

I'm talking about guns that have state compliant SKUs.  Not guns that where made legal in NJ by the FFL.  

IE.  The Ruger PC Carbine model 19124 would be legal, but model 19122 would be illegal.  They look mostly the same.

Ruger® PC Carbine™ Autoloading Rifle Models