124gr9mm

Gun shop pet peeve - FID + License to handle a gun

I'm old enough to remember the 'good old days' in Nj where you could walk into a gun shop and ask to see a gun from behind a display and the clerk would simply nod and hand you the gun.

I gritted my teeth when they started asking to see my FID as they referenced some ambiguous 'legislation' that NOBODY had been charged of.  I usually have it with me and it's not worth arguing.

I experienced the latest evolution in lunacy on a recent trip to a brand new gun shop.  To simply handle one of the empty guns behind the glass display you must show your FID and your matching Drivers License.  ALSO, you may not dry fire (a Glock in this case) and you must keep the gun over the display case at all times (you can't take a step back to give yourself a little room) while still pointing in a 'safe' direction.

So stupid.

As NJ is heading towards more 'normalcy' with carry legislation it seems that our gun shops are headed in the OPPOSITE direction and making shit up to inconvenience their customers.

End of rant.

It was a long week...

1st off, name the place.

2nd, I wouldn't buy a thing from them until they took the time to actually learn what the laws in this State are.

3rd. If they are going to be this paranoid, they should have never opened a gun shop.

I won't set foot inside of RSTP because of their redicoulus policy that you need to show your FID to pick up your already legally owned gun that was in for gunsmithing/warranty work. Fuck them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Getting IDd depends on two things, the gun shop and who is behind the counter.  I have been asked for ID a couple times, but most of the time they don't.  I think they do it mostly to discourage the "fondlers" that can't buy because they have no FPID.  They are time wasters.

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm old enough to remember the 'good old days' in Nj where you could walk into a gun shop and ask to see a gun from behind a display and the clerk would simply nod and hand you the gun.

I gritted my teeth when they started asking to see my FID as they referenced some ambiguous 'legislation' that NOBODY had been charged of.  I usually have it with me and it's not worth arguing.

I experienced the latest evolution in lunacy on a recent trip to a brand new gun shop.  To simply handle one of the empty guns behind the glass display you must show your FID and your matching Drivers License.  ALSO, you may not dry fire (a Glock in this case) and you must keep the gun over the display case at all times (you can't take a step back to give yourself a little room) while still pointing in a 'safe' direction.

So stupid.

As NJ is heading towards more 'normalcy' with carry legislation it seems that our gun shops are headed in the OPPOSITE direction and making shit up to inconvenience their customers.

End of rant.

It was a long week...

Last time I would shop there. 

39 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Last time I would shop there. 

I know to a lot of people, me included, guns stores are like barber shops.  You stick with the one that does it the way you like.  The ones that don't do it the way you like, you don't go back.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, SJ Guns said:

I've never been asked to show an FID To handle a firearm in a gun shop.  Must be a North Jersey thing. 

Yeah, North Jersey shops have been asking for the FID for a while so I suck it up and deal with it. 

The addition of DL check, no dry fire, and you can't let the gun move past the countertop was a level of absurdity I wasn't expecting. 

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Getting IDd depends on two things, the gun shop and who is behind the counter.  I have been asked for ID a couple times, but most of the time they don't.  I think they do it mostly to discourage the "fondlers" that can't buy because they have no FPID.  They are time wasters.

^^^^^  this.....  having been a pink card holder and non paid employee...( well if you consider lunch and free dibs and surplus that comes in..lol )

I wouldn't hand a gun to anyone unless I saw and FID....  why?  Because if they had an FID I was at least assured they had 'some' background in firearms...and weren't some wierd yahoo....

And if you looked like a tool...I just said no.... :)

Its my discretion and not your right....  

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yeah, North Jersey shops have been asking for the FID for a while so I suck it up and deal with it. 

The addition of DL check, no dry fire, and you can't let the gun move past the countertop was a level of absurdity I wasn't expecting. 

Meltzer's, Edelman's, The Sportsman's Den, Navy Arms; all the good shops are gone. 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Worked in a brick and mortar store, pink card holder and keyholder for store, and C&R FFL holder now that retired. If established customer. wanted to see a firearm, No problem. If I never saw a person. FID needed. That would be only requirement. If they could not display FID, No Touchy guns! Lots of wackers out there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Parker said:

Meltzer's, Edelman's, The Sportsman's Den, Navy Arms; all the good shops are gone. 

Forgot Ray's on Rt 22 in springfield. Huge selection of used. Closed in 2008. Bought all my cleaning supplies there 1/2 price.

I never asked for ID or FPID while dealing in NJ. Dealers are doing themselves a disservice. They're turning away current and future customers, not to mention the negative attitude they're projecting, like this thread. 

Here in AZ, I'm surprised that a lot of dealers have stopped doing transfers. Anything to get the customer to come in and come back is good for business.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, silverado427 said:

I'm pretty sure I remember K mart having rifles and shotguns.

Same. And I remember as a little kid going to Sears in Livingston mall and the rifles were out on display racks for anyone to pick up and fondle. They were just secured to the display with a cable lock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjs3023 said:

Same. And I remember as a little kid going to Sears in Livingston mall and the rifles were out on display racks for anyone to pick up and fondle. They were just secured to the display with a cable lock. 

As late as 2010, Cabelas in PA had their long guns on racks with no locks so that you could pick up and fondle anytime.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, my mom worked at Sears in Newark. downstairs was rifle dept with rifles and shotguns. Of course riots hit in 67 and no more Sears, No more guns. Imperiale had a tank rumbling down the streets in North ward!. 

The Gunstore I worked at opened and shortly after the Breed opened a chapter house across street in Bayville. 1% percenters would come in with their legal to purchase females. Had to be on the watch for straw buys. Hence the FID need to fondle.

4 hours ago, 15636215 said:

Forgot Ray's on Rt 22 in springfield. Huge selection of used. Closed in 2008. Bought all my cleaning supplies there 1/2 price.

You are correct sir. Only made a couple trips there because of the distance. The only place around I could walk into a store and find custom 1911 parts from Wilson or Pachmayr.  

• Like 1

null

10 minutes ago, PK90 said:

As late as 2010, Cabelas in PA had their long guns on racks with no locks so that you could pick up and fondle anytime.

Many of the LGS's upstate NY are still like this today.

This shop is several miles from my house, used guns on the floor can be fondled. The good stuff on the wall you have to ask for. Handguns of course can't be touched by a NJ resident. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/a-and-j-arms-bardonia

On 8/27/2022 at 3:11 PM, diamondd817 said:

I won't set foot inside of RSTP because of their redicoulus policy that you need to show your FID to pick up your already legally owned gun that was in for gunsmithing/warranty work. Fuck them.

Same thing happened to me and I was a member at the time. On my way home from a 30 hour shift to boot. My wife went back and picked it up using her NY carry permit. 

9 hours ago, PK90 said:

As recently as 2 weeks ago I was in Cabela's in PA and they had tons of (used) long guns on the floor in racks that you could handle at your leisure.  I was VERY close to picking up a cheap O/U shotgun, but it was 20 gauge and I was looking for 12.

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Hmmm. I was under the impression that all guns were inaccessible with trigger locks, like in AZ, since Bass Pro bought them.

The rifles all had trigger locks, but they were out on the floor in racks for people to handle/inspect at their leisure. 

Dozens of them.

They even had some racks in the side room 'Library' section.

Like in this older pic from their store, but not double-stacked.  Maybe they went to single stack because people were dropping them:

guns.jpg

3 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have not found any of the used guns at Cabela's (at least in Hamburg) to be "cheap".  

Those prices disappeared a very long time ago with the advent of the internet and being able to reach a much larger audience than one from foot traffic.