124gr9mm

Gun shop pet peeve - FID + License to handle a gun

When I was selling guns in NJ in 1977-9, we asked for FIDs before unlocking the rack or opening the case.  When back then, a friend of mine was regularly using his brother's FID to go out and look at guns.  Asking for the matching DL isn't a big deal in the current environment..

1 hour ago, EdF said:

When I was selling guns in NJ in 1977-9, we asked for FIDs before unlocking the rack or opening the case.  When back then, a friend of mine was regularly using his brother's FID to go out and look at guns.  Asking for the matching DL isn't a big deal in the current environment..

It's the iterative steps that arbitrarily appear with NO reasoning whatsoever.

- FID
- matching Drivers License
- you may not dry fire (a Glock in this case)
- you must keep the gun over the display case at all times (you can't take a step back to give yourself a little room) while still pointing in a 'safe' direction.

If I go to another shop I can just pick up a gun and handle at my discretion (or when it's handed to me if behind a case)...

On 8/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, tjs3023 said:

And I remember as a little kid going to Sears in Livingston mall and the rifles were out on display racks for anyone to pick up and fondle. They were just secured to the display with a cable lock. 

That Sears is now closed and they were using it as a Covid testing center.

Was a nice mall till the ghetto trash came up South Orange Ave. from the Newark area.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:16 PM, Scorpio64 said:

I think they do it mostly to discourage the "fondlers" that can't buy because they have no FPID.  They are time wasters.

As I recall Guns for Hire in West Paterson not only asked to see my FID but wouldn't give it back until I was done fondling, the guy also wouldn't let me dry fire a S&W striker fired.

I won't be going there again.. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Bomber said:

As I recall Guns for Hire in West Paterson not only asked to see my FID but wouldn't give it back until I was done fondling, the guy also wouldn't let me dry fire a S&W striker fired.

I didn't state it earlier, but my experience was at Gun For hire as well...

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I didn't state it earlier, but my experience was at Gun For hire as well...

I can understand asking to see an FID, in their location they probably get a lot of tire kickers.

But I don't like the holding onto the FID while I fondle business, as though I'm going to dash out the door with the merchandise.

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

I can understand asking to see an FID, in their location they probably get a lot of tire kickers.

But I don't like the holding on to the FID while I fondle business, as though I'm going to dash out the door with the merchandise.

Yeah, I attribute it to growing pains.

For me it was a friggin Glock, not a $5000 Stacatto 2011, so there was no way i was going to break anything, but the counter guy was acting like it was an honor for me to gently hold it over the counter.

It was the perfect opportunity for him to say "Yeah, go ahead and get the feel of it.  Feel the trigger and the reset then GO RENT ONE ACROSS THE HALL AND TRY IT OUT!".

Opportunity missed...

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, 124gr9mm said:

f I go to another shop I can just pick up a gun and handle at my discretion (or when it's handed to me if behind a case)...

Well . . . It's pretty easy to say, go to another shop.  But, again, having been behind the counter, I can see the reasons.  Thefts are high and people aren't stealing $5000 Stacatto 2011 . . . They are stealing Glocks and others that are easy to move on the street.

You're complaining a shop here.  Go talk to THEM and see why the rules are in place.  Or, go somewhere else. 

18 minutes ago, EdF said:

You're complaining a shop here.  Go talk to THEM and see why the rules are in place.  Or, go somewhere else. 

Ummm, I'm just sharing an experience with my fellow forum members...NOT 'complaining' to the shop.

I was highlighting how absurd gun shops in NJ have become.

I honestly don't give a shit "why" they're doing it.  I find it stupid, so I won't shop there.

I'll go to places like FSS in Pine Brook.  Smaller shop, but last time I was there I was looking at rifles and chatting with a guy that works there when another guy say, "Oh shit, we forgot to ask to see your FID...do you have it?".  I pulled it out to hand it to them and they said "No, that's cool.  As long as you have it with you".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, 124gr9mm said:

Ummm, I'm just sharing an experience with my fellow forum members...NOT 'complaining' to the shop.

I was highlighting how absurd gun shops in NJ have become.

I honestly don't give a shit "why" they're doing it.  I find it stupid, so I won't shop there.

I'll go to places like FSS in Pine Brook.  Smaller shop, but last time I was there I was looking at rifles and chatting with a guy that works there when another guy say, "Oh shit, we forgot to ask to see your FID...do you have it?".  I pulled it out to hand it to them and they said "No, that's cool.  As long as you have it with you".

Maybe they’ll have their self-appointed 6 star kinks worked out in time for the official grand opening in October? Let’s wait and see. 

13 hours ago, FairbanksRusty said:

Maybe they’ll have their self-appointed 6 star kinks worked out in time for the official grand opening in October? Let’s wait and see. 

True.

I'm grumpy now, but I'm sure I'll go back.

I do like the people that work there and IMO it's a great place to shoot...

22 hours ago, FairbanksRusty said:

Do you know of a better range?  I dont..and I have been to a lot of them.  I think your "self appointed 6 stars" was given by reviewers when they first opened and was not "self appointed". 

On 9/17/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tunaman said:

Do you know of a better range?  I dont..and I have been to a lot of them.  I think your "self appointed 6 stars" was given by reviewers when they first opened and was not "self appointed". 

The NSSF is the only entity star-rating ranges. And the only two I know that are rated by them are RTSP & Reloaderz. Yelp & Google reviews don’t count in the shooting world. 

Next year ……… 7 Stars!  Lmfao.

Gun store is still new and we are working the bugs out! Learning everyday. Thank you all for your patience. 

We require an FID card to view all firearms for sale for a multitude of reasons. 

Have a nice day all. 

ps. The sensitive places bills are advancing in Trenton and the temporary restraining order imposed in NY todays gives us some hope. Stay tuned in. 

Anthony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it's a good idea to have a FPID card if you handle firearms:  Man Armed With AR-15 Rifle At Wawa In Skillman Arrested: Prosecutor (msn.com)

"Kinney was charged with second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm, second-degree certain persons not to have weapons or ammunition, second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon (handgun), fourth-degree possession of a large capacity magazine (2 counts), third-degree possession of a firearm without obtaining a firearms purchaser identification card, third-degree hindering apprehension, fourth-degree obstruction, and fourth-degree interception of official communications."