jaybirdtke

Storage in your car with a Permit to Carry

I would avoid biometrics in a vehicle, they can be iffy on a good day. 

I used to wear gloves a lot for my old job during the winter, and I could barely clock in with my prints, sometimes it wouldn't work at all. 

I picked up the Hornady AR Rapid gun locker and have been really impressed with it, they make all sorts of versions for vehicls. I put the RFID tag on my watch, and if that don't work the combo takes 3 seconds to input... 

7 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

How about for a motorcycle that doesn't have lockable saddlebags? You know for the rare event that one finds themselves on a motorcycle and has to stop at their child's school or something?

Leaving anything unlocked is a dumb thing to do. Leaving a handgun unlocked is arguably more than just dumb.

Taking your handgun to your child's school is a felony, no matter what the mode of transport. Just don't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Leaving anything unlocked is a dumb thing to do. Leaving a handgun unlocked is arguably more than just dumb.

Taking your handgun to your child's school is a felony, no matter what the mode of transport. Just don't do it.

You're misunderstanding. I'm saying is there a good mountable case for a motorcycle/atv? There are parking options on the main road so I wouldn't be taking a gun on school property. That's the whole reason I asked. 

2 hours ago, Lostboy said:

You're misunderstanding. I'm saying is there a good mountable case for a motorcycle/atv? There are parking options on the main road so I wouldn't be taking a gun on school property. That's the whole reason I asked. 

This is what I have. I got lockable hard cases specifically so I could ride to the range.

20220531_194403.jpg

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Get a small pistol lock box that fits in the bag. Or... just wear the pistol? 

For the situations that don't allow carry... I just ordered some universal locks to convert the bags but I'll probably still get a pistol case with a cable lock. 

On 8/28/2022 at 8:21 AM, jaybirdtke said:

Now that some have received a permit to carry a handgun, what are the storage requirements for your car?  For example, you're carrying and you go somewhere that does not allow carrying of a handgun so you have to store it in your car.  Does the firearm need to be unloaded and stored separately from ammo contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported or can it be stored loaded in a gun box?

The first thing I would like to point out is that it is preferable to have the handgun unloaded. That way, the police officers will have fewer complaints. I have not seen anywhere in the federal law that ammo must be kept separately from the firearm, so I would advise not to bother and keep them close together.

2 hours ago, Traxxes said:

The first thing I would like to point out is that it is preferable to have the handgun unloaded. That way, the police officers will have fewer complaints. I have not seen anywhere in the federal law that ammo must be kept separately from the firearm, so I would advise not to bother and keep them close together.

The last thing I want to do in the car, or I want other people to do in a car, is unload and then subsequently reload a firearm.

It just seems like it’s asking for trouble, in multiple ways. It is significantly more exposure to prying eyes. It is more danger to yourself and others. Even more minor things that become a problem, such as excessive chambering of the same round causing bullet setback or case deformation. 

Amazon.com : SnapSafe Portable Lock Box for Guns and Valuables, 2 Pack - Includes 2 Lock Boxes (Keyed Alike), 4 Keys and Patented Security Cable - an Ideal Car Gun Safe - XL, Black, 11.5 x 8.5 x 2.5 Inches : Sports & Outdoors

SnapSafe Portable Lock Box for Guns and Valuables, 2 Pack - Includes 2 Lock Boxes (Keyed Alike), 4 Keys and 1500 Pound Patented Security Cable - Thick 16-Gauge Steel - An Ideal Car Gun Safe

12 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

16 gauge steel is not really thick IMO.

Thick enough to stop the average crack head or those doing it as a last minute "Smash and Grab" target of opportunity.

At least you can show that you made the effort to secure your gun.

If they steal the car your screwed anyway.

RW3

5 hours ago, RAYWOODROW3RD said:

Thick enough to stop the average crack head or those doing it as a last minute "Smash and Grab" target of opportunity.

At least you can show that you made the effort to secure your gun.

If they steal the car your screwed anyway.

RW3

I wonder, of you show that you did the work to keep it secured and it's stolen, what consequences could you face? I put the universal locks on my leather bags and you would have to literally destroy them now to get it to them.