ESB

What is the benefit of getting FL CCW in addition to UT?

The benefit that most of us see when getting multiple Non Resident CCW's is to have a back-up in case a state changes its reciprocity laws and you dont realize it......

Meaning.....   you have FL and Utah.....  and you are visiting family in NC ....... and you get stopped for some reason.....  LEO asks for your CCW and you hand him your FL CCW and he says...... We do not honor that since 2 weeks ago...... you can then show him your Utah CCW that is still honored...... basically getting you out of a possible jam..... 

If you are confident on investigating the laws before you travel..... and feel all you need is the one CCW, then go for it.... 

But like I said..... a lot of us get at least a 2nd one for back up

I have FL, Utah, and NH

The best way to check USCCA states list is in their App not on line.  The App can be downloaded for your phone, lets you check every state's reciprocity status. I use it while traveling with my Fla permit and will with NJ's as well. Constantly being updated for changing political climate.  CCW – Concealed Carry 50 State on the App Store (apple.com) Tells you if all permits from a state are honored in any given state or just resident permits, simple red/yellow/green color system for the US map, and other sections for any restricted areas, need to inform LEO, etc. For $2 it's a great tool to have handy.

• Thanks 1

It depends where you want to go.  I  vacation in Tennessee often and have an Arizona permit that also serves me well on the 300+ miles of I 81 in Virginia.

Unless things have changed, Arizona and Utah have the cheapest renewal costs with no extra fingerprints needed.

32 minutes ago, ESB said:

Anyone know how a NJ CCW can get a CCW in PA or SC? 

There is a forum for that in here. Do a quick search. Don’t make the mistake I did and accidentally talk about something we already have a forum for.  But I will tell you Delaware county is the only option that works I have found. 

Last I heard, SC requires you to be a resident or property owner for a CCW. SC will recognize a Florida permit now, easy to obtain, I've had one for a few years. Also, the app for USCCW is better than the web site for current reciprocal information. 

22 hours ago, samiam said:

NH is not cheap for non-residents ($100/5 years) but everything else is cake. No fingerprints required. No training requirements. You fill out an application on which you provide your DL and SS information, and attest that you aren't a felon, a domestic abuser, a drug addict, or criminally loony. Three references are required, but mine were never contacted. NHSP claim they do background checks, but they must be very efficient at them (especially without fingerpriints) because I had my permit back by snail mail less than two weeks after sending my application by same. Of course, NH is virtually constitutional carry in the first place (I think you need the permit for some state parks and such) so it wouldn't make sense to have an arduous permitting process. 

State of New Hampshire DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY DIVISION OF STATE POLICE NON-RESIDENT PISTOL/REVOLVER LICENSE

Yes.  I'm still considering if i want to renew NH later this year. I got one in 2017 right before AG Shapiro changed Pennsylvania's reciprocity agreement.  I was also able to get one back in 2009 for the bargain price of $25 when I lived in Pennsylvania.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:46 AM, ShootersShooter said:

Last I heard, SC requires you to be a resident or property owner for a CCW. SC will recognize a Florida permit now, easy to obtain, I've had one for a few years. Also, the app for USCCW is better than the web site for current reciprocal information. 

SC only recognizes resident Florida permits. So there’s no way for someone from NJ to carry there unless you have property there. 

On 9/1/2022 at 10:51 PM, 67gtonut said:

But like I said..... a lot of us get at least a 2nd one for back up

I have FL, Utah, and NH

Other than Utah and FL, what other states are easy to get CCW from that don't require you to travel there to get it?  What are the benefits to those or why did you get it?  

On 9/3/2022 at 7:46 AM, ShootersShooter said:

I don't think SC recognizes a FL NR permit though.  Are you saying its easy to get a FL resident permit as a non-resident or non-land owner?  

Exactly.  That says resident permits only. 

I don't see any way as a NJ resident to be able to CCW in SC without being a resident or owning property in another state.  How does that not violate my 2nd and/or 14th amendment rights?  

34 minutes ago, ESB said:

Exactly.  That says resident permits only. 

I don't see any way as a NJ resident to be able to CCW in SC without being a resident or owning property in another state.  How does that not violate my 2nd and/or 14th amendment rights?  

Washington has needed to do something about that for a very long time now.  Hopefully with Bruen, something will actually be done.  I know, don't hold my breathe.

45 minutes ago, ESB said:

I think that's squarely because of this:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nj-gun-laws/#recStates

image.thumb.png.f889f39cc8b4f25a39441c57c517b297.png

5 minutes ago, samiam said:

I think it is perfectly fair to question whether SC is in compliance with at least the spirit of 2A or Bruen as a result. 

I hear you, but I think that's why the term "reciprocity" is important.  There's nothing at all reciprocal with NJ.  Now if NJ agreed to accept everyone else's, I think SC and other states would reciprocate (as SC has with just about everyone else).

Except that NJ does allow out of state residents to get their NJ CCW permit.  This is not an option in SC.  

It would seem to me that states who do not reciprocate with all states would have to allow non-residents to get a CCW from that state or reciprocate with non-resident CCW permits.  

On 10/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, CMJeepster said:

"Below are the applicable laws in the State of New Jersey as of 2/2/2013"

"Legally a Non-Resident of New Jersey can apply for a New Jersey Permit to Carry.  This must be done in Person at a New Jersey Municipal or State Police department closest to your location, however the probabilty of being issued a Non-Resident New Jersey Permit to Carry is highly unlikely."

As of 2013 that was true, getting a CCW was unlikely.  It was the same for resident CCW permits at that time.  Things have changed since Bruen. 

Out of state residents can get a NJ CCW, they still need all of the training and other requirements, but would submit to the nearest NJSP barracks.