Grima Squeakersen

***DELETED***

There is one thing to note...If you are an NRA certified Instructor, you can get QHIC status free of charge which then means you are exempt from their 16 hour class requirement.

One thing that MD is a real PITA over, is that they only accept fingerprinting services in MD. There is no out of state option.

54 minutes ago, samiam said:

I initally posted this to the "Delaware CCW" topic. On reflection, I realized it was a major highjack of revenger's thread, so I moved ot to it's own.

Maryland, btw, seems to be just as bad as NJ in the crap they try to inflict on gun owners. In fact, superficially the carry laws appear to be almost identical. Maryland requires on-site training from one of their own approved instructors, no substitutions. It recognizes no one else's permits. Initial permit expires after two years; renewal process is a near duplicate of initial application. The only improvements I see are very slight: applications are submitted through an electronic system; fingerprints are not required for renewals (recent change), renewals appear to be for three years, not two, I haven't yet seen any indication of whether or not a judge is involved.

Maryland Handgun Wear and Carry Permit

And Maryland "features" one law that seems far worse than NJ's firearms restrictions. It appears that a Maryland resident may only own a handgun manufactured after 1985 if the specific make and model appears on the official Maryland Handgun Roster. Maybe that is where NJ got the idea to impose similar restrictions on carry permits?

Maryland Department of State Police Official Handgun Roster

Do I understand all of these Maryland rules and restrictions correctly?

I just completed a Maryland Handgun Wear and Carry Permit Course today.  16 hours of "death by Power Point".  Yes, Maryland is on par with New Jersey with the rules and restrictions.  For example, Maryland requires four references instead of NJ's three reference requirement.  However, no notarizations are required and the process is done on line.

4 minutes ago, samiam said:

What kind of shooting qualification (if any) was included? Can you tell us more about this Maryland "Official Handgun Roster"? I would have expected to find a link to it on either the MSP or the Maryland gov site, but I saw only references to it; nothing that I could use to determine which handguns are on the actual list. I did find a lfairly short list of handguns that are prohibited, some on what would appear to be pretty shaky grounds, but that appears to be an entirely different document. That also seems very like NJ: tell someone that his or her behavior is regulated by some official document, but make it as difficult as possible for that person to locate and read the document itself. My cynical side suspects some kind of manufacturers' "pay to play" mechanism in the formulation of that list. 

I think you're missing the detail in the roster link posted above. The roster is a list of guns approved for manufacture and sale. It says nothing about possession. Unless you are making or buying a gun in MD, it doesn't have any bearing on what you might carry if you get an MD permit.

Maryland Handgun Roster https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

bottom left of page.  You have to search by manufacturer.

42 minutes ago, samiam said:

...so I will probably consider applying for it at some point. OTOH, after going through the NJ process, I'm about up to my neck with intolerable bullshit from the Authoritae, so I might just decide it isn't worth the additional aggravation...

And that is the goal.

9 hours ago, samiam said:

What kind of shooting qualification (if any) was included? Can you tell us more about this Maryland "Official Handgun Roster"? I would have expected to find a link to it on either the MSP or the Maryland gov site, but I saw only references to it; nothing that I could use to determine which handguns are on the actual list. I did find a lfairly short list of handguns that are prohibited, some on what would appear to be pretty shaky grounds, but that appears to be an entirely different document. That also seems very like NJ: tell someone that his or her behavior is regulated by some official document, but make it as difficult as possible for that person to locate and read the document itself. My cynical side suspects some kind of manufacturers' "pay to play" mechanism in the formulation of that list. 

We did not discuss a handgun roster of any type at all on Saturday or Sunday so I can't speak to it in any way.  Strange, if there were a roster, you would think the instructor would have mentioned it.

Interesting, Maryland must have allowed individuals with magazines greater than 10 rounds to be "grandfathered" when they were declared "illegal" years ago.  I say that because several class members talked about carrying a pistol with 15 or 17 round magazines when they received their permit.

The course of fire was 25 rounds:  5 at 3yds, 5 at 5yds, 10 at 10yds, and 5 at 15 yds at a Q type silhouette target.  The course was timed, however, you were loading 5 rounds at a time in a magazine for each sequence.  I was shooting a revolver so it worked out well for me.

One final note:  there were 85 people in the class.

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Well, given that it applies only to Maryland residents who buy a handgun manufactured in 1985 or since, the instructor might have presumed that all those in his class who are subject to that list already know about it, or at least were using a handgun that complies. The magazine issue is very interesting. Did you shoot with any of the folks talking about higher capacity mags, and did they use them during qualification? Thanks for the information on the qualification and course of fire.  

I didn't see what anyone else was using.  However, in listening to people discussing what they were going to use prior to shooting, most were using Glocks, CZs, Sigs, and Smith and Wesson's.  They didn't talk about their mag capacity of the gun they were qualifying with. 

MD Permit:

• Applied and fingerprinted 9/31/22
  • Issued 12/1/22
  • Rec'd in mail 12/10/32.   Something like 71 or 72 days to issue.  

In related NJ news...

• I applied for my NJ Permit on 8/6
  • Rec'd an email from the Superintendent's office that said it was sent to the court on 11/15 (after I sent a letter to his office). 
  • Somehow, it took over three weeks for the court to receive it on 12/7 (suspicious)
  • I'm anticipating a hearing the third week of January.  
  • If that's correct, I'll be at about 130 days for NJ.

691355481_MDCarryPermitIssued10-31-22-blurred.thumb.jpg.47e3c9052d7e67282388f48d3e50d431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

Issued 12/1/22

Yanno.  I think if a group of folks in NJ that want to CCW got together and applied for out of state CCWs, got the out of state CCWs before they get their NJ permits.  That could be a powerful class action suit.

2 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

MD Permit:

• Applied and fingerprinted 9/31/22
  • Issued 12/1/22
  • Rec'd in mail 12/10/32.   Something like 71 or 72 days to issue.  

In related NJ news...

• I applied for my NJ Permit on 8/6
  • Rec'd an email from the Superintendent's office that said it was sent to the court on 11/15 (after I sent a letter to his office). 
  • Somehow, it took over three weeks for the court to receive it on 12/7 (suspicious)
  • I'm anticipating a hearing the third week of January.  
  • If that's correct, I'll be at about 130 days for NJ.

691355481_MDCarryPermitIssued10-31-22-blurred.thumb.jpg.47e3c9052d7e67282388f48d3e50d431.jpg

I'm 25 days behind you for MD. My application still says it has the status of "accepted" on the web portal.  How long was it before yours was assigned to an investigator?

I also see MD play the same shenanigans as Nj with cutting a month off the permit lifetime. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm 25 days behind you for MD. My application still says it has the status of "accepted" on the web portal.  How long was it before yours was assigned to an investigator?

I also see MD play the same shenanigans as Nj with cutting a month off the permit lifetime. :facepalm:

I checked the MD portal a few times, but not every week.  If there was a status change to "assigned" or something similar, I never saw it there. 

• 9/20 applied and fingerprinted on the same day
  • 10/7 rec'd letter that my fingerprint check passed
  • 12/1 rec'd email that my application " has been granted final disposition" and a letter via mail would follow.  Checked the portal on the same day and it said "approved".
  • 12/10 rec'd permit via mail.
  • Thanks 1

3 - 4 Sep   16 hour class held at Free State gun range in Middle River.  The qualification was done on the 4th, 25 rounds at a distance between 3 and 15 yards.  Shooting intervals were 5 rounds all at once, or intervals of 2 and 3 rounds for a total of 5.
19 Sep  Electronic Fingerprints completed.  The clock starts.
15 Oct   Completed the application online.  Received a confirmation e-mail indicating the system has received it.
18 Oct   Received an e-mail stating that the system has "Accepted" my application.
7 Dec   Received a form letter by regular mail stating my background checks were complete and came back negative.
15 Dec   Received permit by mail.

The first permit is valid for two years, with subsequent renewals good for three years. 
Fingerprinting is not required for renewal and the class room training is only 8 hours.  Qualification is still required.
The process was 91 days from start to finish.  If I had planned more wisely, I could have scheduled multiple tasks on the same day (the class and fingerprints for example).
The instructor advised us to carry the gun you qualified with in case you get into a self-defense situation down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1