JackDaWack

FATF seeks funding for Pistol Brace Amnesty

I've been reading some news about the ATFs plan to provide amnesty to firearms with braces, and the needed funding to provide it for free. Keep an eye out for anything published by the ATF for further details. I'm not sure how this will effect "others" in NJ, but they are claiming to provide free tax stamps to anyone who submits a form for an SBR. 

I'm curious if you could form 1 an "other", keep it in current format as a Federally classified SBR, but in NJ have it classified as is an "other". 

I would hope that at some point a suit is brought once the rules are published. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

doesn't amnesty assume you're guilty of something?

Once the new rules are published.... by their retarded definitions... well, you are in possession of something they believe should be tax stamped. So they will allow you to get a stamp for it retroactively..

41 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

I wonder about this for the obvious reasons but aren't SBRs illegal in NJ we would be registering our Others right into Illegal SBRs

NJs SBR definition is statutory, and an "other" falls outside the language as confirmed by the NJSP.

Federally, they are redefining through ATF rules and regulations what an SBR is... 

My IANAL response would be that the federal law is more restrictive than the state. So a federally defined SBR, mat not be an SBR by NJ standards... even if you have a tax stamped and registered SBR.. you would still be required to keep the brace on it... where many people in free country will be able to finally throw a stock on without paying the 200 bucks.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr.Stu said:

You wouldn't want to register it as an SBR if you ever go to ranges outside NJ. NFA items need ATF approval to take them across state lines - takes about a month, I hear.

You also have to have them locked up as to prevent access to anyone but yourself. Even if just you and your wife live in a house, she cannot access the firearm without you present. 

IMO, I would be more likely to register them as an AOW by reducing OAL to under 26". No approval needed for going over state lines etc. We can't have stocks either way, so it seems the mose appropriate for us... then again if the AWB is struck down, a lot of shit is gonna change for us. 

21 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

So you think an Other falls outside the NJSP language so no registration required for Others ?

NJ allows "others", as the NJSP have opinioned that they can be sold here, and are not by NJ law considered to be SBRs. 

Through all of the ATFs efforts, nothing in NJ law is changing. This is a change at the federal level. Since NJ has defined what an SBR is, they would have to change it to mirror the ATFs proposed rules for it to take effect at the state level. 

However, with the change at the ATF we have to wait and see if an "other" you own will be classified federally as an SBR, which may require a tax stamp. 

Makes for a really great cluster fuck when a firearm is defined two different ways at the federal vs state level.

51 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

All of the Videos we see on YouTube talking about the proposed  ATF rulings on Pistol Braces never bring up Others

There are some others listed in the rules directly. It's very much a grey area until the final rules are published, and even then will probably remain a grey area. The checklist they are producing would seem to generally omitt others as of right now.. 

The primary reason they aren't talked much about is because NJ and CT are the only places others are popular due to our laws. 

• Like 1

IANAL, but, as I read it.......

If you look at the ATF 4999 worksheet...

Section 1...

question 2 asks...

"The weapon must have an overall length between 12 and 26 inches.

Weapon must meet both Prerequisites in order to proceed to Section II."

NJ others have a length over 26" as measured from the end of the barrel to the end of the buffer tube.

So..... Our "others" are not subject to these regulations.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, dajonga said:

IANAL, but, as I read it.......

If you look at the ATF 4999 worksheet...

Section 1...

question 2 asks...

"The weapon must have an overall length between 12 and 26 inches.

Weapon must meet both Prerequisites in order to proceed to Section II."

NJ others have a length over 26" as measured from the end of the barrel to the end of the buffer tube.

So..... Our "others" are not subject to these regulations.

Wouldn't this just mean an other is now a rifle as there isn't any "other" in the new laws?

sorry rules, they can't make laws, only Congress can. Well, when this country still had a constitution anyway...

1 hour ago, Jon K said:

Wouldn't this just mean an other is now a rifle as there isn't any "other" in the new laws?

sorry rules, they can't make laws, only Congress can. Well, when this country still had a constitution anyway...

I typed that when I was under the impression that form 4999 was going to be used. They killed that worksheet.