GlockityGlockGlock

Sussex County Carry Permits

I submitted mine to Sparta on Aug 4th.  No news, though I haven't called them.  My references haven't been contacted, so maybe they aren't doing that.  I have on the calendar to call them this week since it's been over a month.  I'll post what I find out.  FYI, I had to have the fingerprints completed before they would take the application, so they had everything needed from day 1.

My friend submitted his application to the NJSP Augusta barracks last week. I am on of his references and I haven't been contacted yet. I will post up whatever action I find on his application.

1 hour ago, Carolina Native said:

I submitted mine to Sparta on Aug 4th.  No news, though I haven't called them.  My references haven't been contacted, so maybe they aren't doing that.  I have on the calendar to call them this week since it's been over a month.  I'll post what I find out.  FYI, I had to have the fingerprints completed before they would take the application, so they had everything needed from day 1.

My Ap went in last week, so any updates are welcome. They've always been good with everything else, the girl at the window said some applications had already been approved. 

I don't have optimistic information for Sussex County. One source inside the NJSP and another at a local FFL have confirmed that the judge presiding over permits in Sussex is refusing (or indefinitely delaying?) approval of citizen PTCs. He (?) is only approving security guard permits with restrictions to carry only while on the job.

I initially thought that judge was Peter Conforti. But I checked, and I think he had to retire in 2013 at the mandatory retirement age. He is no longer listed in the Superior Court.

The only criminal division judge listed in Newton is Michael Gaus. And I do believe it would be a criminal judge charged with approving permits.

The additional word was that 'they're trying to find another judge'. But I can't confirm what that means.

I'm going to contact ANJRPC Strike Force about this.

8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I don't have optimistic information for Sussex County. One source inside the NJSP and another at a local FFL have confirmed that the judge presiding over permits in Sussex is refusing (or indefinitely delaying?) approving citizen PTCs. He (?) is only approving security guard permits with restrictions to carry only while on the job.

I initially thought that judge was Peter Conforti. But I checked, and I think he had to retire in 2013 at the mandatory retirement age. He is no longer listed in the Superior Court.

The only criminal division judge listed in Newton is Michael Gaus. And I do believe it would be a criminal judge charged with approving permits.

The additional word was that 'they're trying to find another judge'. But I can't confirm what that means.

I sure as shit hope that's not true

4 minutes ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

I sure as shit hope that's not true

You and me both. But my sources are direct. This is not Internet BS. If I hear back from Strike Force I'll post it.

12 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

It was Peter Conforti that denied me in 2018. He was recalled from retirement, IIRC. I do not know if he still is.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

It was Peter Conforti that denied me in 2018. He was recalled from retirement, IIRC. I do not know if he still is.

I don't see him anywhere on the judges' roster.

I submitted my application on 7/29, got printed in PA on 7/30 (paying extra for out of state). I still haven't heard anything back.... My application went straight to state police barracks in Sussex because my township doesn't have a police station. The Sargent I spoke with said he hasnt seen any approved from the judge yet. However, on Gun for Hire radio Anthony Colandro did mention someone from Sussex county getting their permit. I am not sure about the details tho...

If the Sussex county judge is holding this process up maybe a good course of action is to get out sheriff to look into this. He is pro 2a and is technically an elected constitutional sheriff. Maybe he can help? I also think the sheriff's department is responsible for guarding / protecting the courthouse. So he may be in close contact with the judge.

58 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I thought Sussex county was one of the first counties to issue?

With all the conservative leanings up here you'd think so. But NO. AFAIK not one civilian permit has been approved by the judge (who's name I have not confirmed).

We need to elect our judges.

2 hours ago, nooch450 said:

Could be the case. What's your opinion on getting the sheriff involved?

Strada is pro 2A, but IMO he'll have no influence over a judge's opinions.

23 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

With all the conservative leanings up here you'd think so. But NO. AFAIK not one civilian permit has been approved by the judge (who's name I have not confirmed).

We need to elect our judges.

Strada is pro 2A, but IMO he'll have no influence over a judge's opinions.

If the judges opinions are causing them to not do their job and theirfore personally violating citizens rights than Strada can remind them that they can be held personally liable for civil rights violations.

On 9/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, 45Doll said:

I don't have optimistic information for Sussex County. One source inside the NJSP and another at a local FFL have confirmed that the judge presiding over permits in Sussex is refusing (or indefinitely delaying?) approval of citizen PTCs. He (?) is only approving security guard permits with restrictions to carry only while on the job.

I’ve also sent an email to strikeforce. Dan Schmutter is great about follow up. 

If what you’re saying is true this is extremely concerning. But at the same time it does bolster the need for Jay Factor’s case to get the judges out of the process. If all they do is obstruct then they certainly don’t need to be in the process. 

12 hours ago, nooch450 said:

If the judges opinions are causing them to not do their job and theirfore personally violating citizens rights than Strada can remind them that they can be held personally liable for civil rights violations.

I am doubtful about Strada being able to do anything but it’s worth a shot. The judges don’t answer to him and if what 45 Doll says is true then apparently you have judges who feel as if they can just do their own thing and obstruct so it won’t matter what he says. 

I called Sussex court today and they told me that they received my application but that all applications are being held because they are waiting on guidance from the state. This is extremely odd given that Morris has issued permits and they are the same vicinage. So the theory about a judge refusing to sign seems plausible. 

• Informative 1

11 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Thanks RG. Too bad they won't accept guidance from the citizens.

They have guidance. The AG said process as before but without justifiable need. The NJ Supreme Court issued their directive in 2019 about not going over 30 days. These laws have been on the books for decades. There is nothing unclear. If the permit is approved by police after they confirm you meet all requirements the  judge signs it. SHALL ISSUE is the law. 

Anyone who is holding this up is directly and personally responsible for deprivation of rights.

• Agree 2

On 9/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Gaus and another judge replaced Conforti. Gaus is a Christie appointee. So it’s very likely that Gaus as the only criminal judge in Sussex is assigned to signing.