GlockityGlockGlock

Sussex County Carry Permits

I just got off the phone with the Sussex County State police barracks. They said everything on my application is processed and my application was sent down to "division". I'm assuming that is the main state police headquarters and than from there it should be sent to the the Sussex Supperior Court? I was under the assumption that the police department's sent them directly to the superior court however this indicates otherwise.

The sergeant said that the first application he sent out from the barracks approved from him was on July 11th and nothing has come back yet from Superior court. Basically nobody in Sussex County that has applied through the New Jersey state police barracks has gotten their carry permit yet. Based on that July 11th date the superior court is far exceeding the 30-day time frame in the New Jersey Supreme Court directive.

All I can do at this point is keep checking on the status of my money order to see when it gets cashed. I'm not sure if it gets cashed at the Superior Court or at "division" (which I'm assuming is the state police headquarters)...

The “division” is FIU in Trenton.

Based on my application which was submitted July 11 and sent to the court on August 10, I would say about a month or so is what it takes. 

Of course the apps are now just sitting at the court, with no action. I don’t know what it will take to move it, but something has to give. They can absolutely have a Morris county judge sign it (same vicinage) if that judge isn’t signing for whatever reason. But something has got to give. These delays are simply unacceptable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

Where in NJ law does it say that the application gets sent down to "division" (FIU in Trenton)? and what would be the point of that if the local PD already did all the background investigation work? This entire process is a shit show!

i believe the FIU only handles apps from state police, not local ones.

i could be wrong though.

8 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

Where in NJ law does it say that the application gets sent down to "division" (FIU in Trenton)? and what would be the point of that if the local PD already did all the background investigation work? This entire process is a shit show!

If you have a local PD it does not go to the division. But if your town uses NJSP then it goes down there. My understanding is that the barracks is really just intake and initial investigation, collecting references etc. The real processing happens in Trenton at FIU. As for where this is they have a guide but so far have refused to release or make it public. NJ2AS and others have been trying to get it through legal means. I don’t know if they’ve been successful. 

1 minute ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

i believe the FIU only handles apps from state police, not local ones.

i could be wrong though.

You’re correct. 

4 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

If you have a local PD it does not go to the division. But if your town uses NJSP then it goes down there. My understanding is that the barracks is really just intake and initial investigation, collecting references etc. The real processing happens in Trenton at FIU. As for where this is they have a guide but so far have refused to release or make it public. NJ2AS and others have been trying to get it through legal means. I don’t know if they’ve been successful. 

You’re correct. 

I'm going to try to call the Sussex Supperior Court again tomorrow and see if they received my application. Who did you call and speak with? Do they have an extension? When I called was prompted to entered the number for "criminal division" and than "firearms" and than got a message machine. I hate leaving voicemails....

When you called did you have to leave a message? When you spoke to the person who you got in touch with did you find out what judge is responsible for issueing the permits in Sussex County?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

I'm going to try to call the Sussex Supperior Court again tomorrow and see if they received my application. Who did you call and speak with? Do they have an extension? When I called was prompted to entered the number for "criminal division" and than "firearms" and than got a message machine. I hate leaving voicemails....

When you called did you have to leave a message? When you spoke to the person who you got in touch with did you find out what judge is responsible for issueing the permits in Sussex County?

Thanks

Leave a message. They'll call back the same day. That's what I did. 

3 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Anyone know who the Sussex Judge is that is handling the permits? I believe a new judge was supposed to rotate in recently.

The criminal division judge in Sussex is Hon. Michael C. Gaus. It is likely that he is supposed to be doing permits. 

11 hours ago, Albanian said:

This is likely intentional as they want to restrict your 2nd Amendment rights as much as possible before they issues permits. 

FIFY.

There's been a system in place for a long time now.  This is clearly obstruction and all participants should be held responsible for interfering with a Constitutional right.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

anyone have some good news?

A friend told me they may be sending some apps to morristown to get signed. Not sure how true that is, but it is one way to resolve the issue. They have a judge they recalled from retirement to work on this and other things. 

My application and fingerprints were done & submitted on Aug.4th.  The Sparta township police called today to indicate that they are just now contacting my references.  Clearly they are in no rush to get this done and forwarded to the court.  I guess with the delays at the court level, it's probably of no actual consequence to me that the application hasn't been forwarded on yet..

On 9/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, GlockityGlockGlock said:

anyone have some good news?

Yes. New Orleans PD has decided to hire civilians to augment their force. So if you move down there you can probably get a carry permit. /SarcOff/

As for me, my permit plans are on definite hold. I'm not going to spend several hundred dollars now when I have no idea when or if my permit will be granted, or what restrictions will be placed on it. The way it's going the only place that will be left to exercise your permit will be your house, and we've already got that.

The only thing I've learned so far is that when it comes to firearms the totality of government in this state is even more pernicious than I thought. They're really not interested in their citizens welfare or opinions, or following anyone else's 'rule of law', up to and including the U.S. Supreme Court.

But the 'exercise' wasn't a total waste. I tuned up on the four handguns I would qualify with, and that got me out of the doldrums.

I still wish all those applying success in their quest. And I'll be watching for any change of directions.

21 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Court said they approved a batch and it includes mine. Hopefully will see a permit in hand this week or next.

How did you find that out did they call or send a letter ? How long did it take ? It has been 30 days since I handed in paperwork.

46 minutes ago, SOMBYS said:

How did you find that out did they call or send a letter ? How long did it take ? It has been 30 days since I handed in paperwork.

I called the court today and that's what they told me. I applied in early July. It was at the Court in about 30 days after that. I am waiting to see what restrictions it has because I do need to see if I have to amend it to add another gun. 

2 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

I called the court today and that's what they told me. I applied in early July. It was at the Court in about 30 days after that. I am waiting to see what restrictions it has because I do need to see if I have to amend it to add another gun. 

Congratulations!!! I'm hoping it's a non restricted permit with no court order attached. If that is the case than you should be able to carry any handgun you own according to NJ law...

14 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Congratulations.  I wil try and call today and see what is up with mine. And thank you for that info.

9 minutes ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

a.jpg

Did that quote originate with the Illinois Attorney General, before being picked up by the NJ OAG?

Because here is how well Illinois is doing in their effort to "Protect our residents from the scourge of gun violence."

448 homicides in Chicago, 2352 people shot so far this year.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Carolina Native said:

My application and fingerprints were done & submitted on Aug.4th.  The Sparta township police called today to indicate that they are just now contacting my references.  Clearly they are in no rush to get this done and forwarded to the court.  I guess with the delays at the court level, it's probably of no actual consequence to me that the application hasn't been forwarded on yet..

When I spoke with them, it sounded like it wasn't going through the normal channel they have established for FARS. So someone in the records department is handling it, then probably passing it off to the PD. 

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

Because here is how well Illinois is doing in their effort to "Protect our residents from the scourge of gun violence."

448 homicides in Chicago, 2352 people shot so far this year.

All caused by legal, licensed firearm owners I'm sure. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1