GlockityGlockGlock

Sussex County Carry Permits

Updates:

38 minutes ago, FNfiveSeven said:

Please keep us Posted ,Radio

I’ve asked LD24 office to assist me with this and hopefully push for reform with the process so the courts aren’t slowing it down. NJSP barracks has been great. The courts not so much.

My permit was issued but was sent to the barracks. However FIU said they need to get it first. So it’s taking a trip down to Trenton first and then will be sent back to the barracks. 

I really hope they didn’t put issue date on this permit as august because that would be 2 months already wasted. 

Meanwhile people from out of state are jumping through the hoops when they hardly ever come to NJ. Why? You’re going to have to do this every 2 years, which is a waste.  Push for national reciprocity instead.

Permit issued. #28 in the county. 

The NJSP Sgt at the Sussex station was helpful and clearly did not want to be an impediment to this process. The court on the other hand stumbled a bit, but this seems more like a staffing issue. 

The order was one page and had no restrictions other than the gun. 

The permit is stale dated to August which is a mild annoyance but it does let me know that I need to start renewing this in May-June of 2024.

4ECB7D69-FDE6-472E-88CE-F1462C29D9DC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Yes. Recalled from retirement 

Yes, I see that they even made that part of his stamp.

Just for the record, your permit has the 'None' restrictions box checked. Although it's nice they noted what handgun you qualified with.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Yes, I see that they even made that part of his stamp.

Just for the record, your permit has the 'None' restrictions box checked. Although it's nice they noted what handgun you qualified with.

That’s true. I do want to still qualify so I am 100% covered just in case I ever have to use it. 

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

That’s true. I do want to still qualify so I am 100% covered just in case I ever have to use it. 

I understand. I hope eventually (like sometime this century?) all this crap is dispensed with.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm under the Sussex Court so I'm glad there were no restrictions on your permit. I'm still debating the expense vs. benefit (I'm not out and around much) and the fact that at the moment it all repeats every two years.

If you had reported you were prohibited from carrying in your vehicles that would have nixed it entirely for me.

10 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Additional guns - call the court or call NJSP? I have two I would like to add. 

My court order states that I just needed to write to the court and supply proof of quals. I sent them a letter last Thursday and they accepted it immediately. I'm going to wait until I receive the stamped copy of my letter before I risk getting stopped with my additional guns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

My court order states that I just needed to write to the court and supply proof of quals. I sent them a letter last Thursday and they accepted it immediately. I'm going to wait until I receive the stamped copy of my letter before I risk getting stopped with my additional guns.

My court order didn’t even mention that and was pretty brief. I’m just hoping I don’t have to reapply. 

A652E083-BC89-4334-908F-8594FC70EA51.jpeg

Process for adding guns in Sussex is the same as other counties - letter to amend, stating the gun info (make, model, caliber, serial number), proof of ownership (executed permit, sales receipt or notarized letter) and qualification sheet. Send all to the court and copy your PD. They’ll issue an updated order. Since the permit doesn’t list firearms you won’t get a new one.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 12:53 PM, GlockityGlockGlock said:

Has anyone received their permits in Sussex county yet?

my app was sent to the court last week. Money order still not cashed.

I received mine in just under 90 days from Sussex. Judge Conforti.

2 page order required to be carried on me along with permit.

PD said it was their 2nd batch received back.

Order listed guns allowed to carry.

3 hours ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

What town?

Vernon,

The PD was fairly good with accepting, signing, and forwarding to court. 

Only question unanswered is if a picture of the order is okay to have rather than the original order.

Permit says see order,  and order says both must be on me at all times.

Edited by [email protected]

21 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Vernon,

Only question unanswered is if a picture of the order is okay to have rather than the original order.

Does your permit have Restrictions: "None" and "See Court Order" checked?

Also what day was your money order cashed? Mine was finally cashed on Wednesday October 12th so I'm hoping to see my permit soon...

Do you know what permit number yours is?

22 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Vernon,

I wouldn't use a "photo". 

I would scan it, keep a digital copy, and resize it smaller and print a copy. 

3 hours ago, nooch450 said:

Does your permit have Restrictions: "None" and "See Court Order" checked?

Also what day was your money order cashed? Mine was finally cashed on Wednesday October 12th so I'm hoping to see my permit soon...

Do you know what permit number yours is?

See court order is checked and the order explains restrictions and lists weapons qualified with. Says order must be on you as well as permit card.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, [email protected] said:

See court order is checked and the order explains restrictions and lists weapons qualified with. Says order must be on you as well as permit card.

How did your court order differ from radio gunners posted above?

I just got a callback from the court.  Part of my information seems to contradict what's already posted here concerning case numbers.

My application was forwarded by Sparta police to the court at the end of September.  I'm case number 157 and was told that case numbers in the low hundreds are currently being worked on.

He volunteered that Fridays are set aside to focus on it, though he didn't say Fridays are exclusively focused on it.  He also suggested they are getting 25 ish a week done, so it could be a couple more weeks to get mine processed. 

Having made my initial application on August 4th, that would put me at just under 90 days start to finish.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, 45Doll said:

I don't have optimistic information for Sussex County. One source inside the NJSP and another at a local FFL have confirmed that the judge presiding over permits in Sussex is refusing (or indefinitely delaying?) approval of citizen PTCs. He (?) is only approving security guard permits with restrictions to carry only while on the job.

I initially thought that judge was Peter Conforti. But I checked, and I think he had to retire in 2013 at the mandatory retirement age. He is no longer listed in the Superior Court.

The only criminal division judge listed in Newton is Michael Gaus. And I do believe it would be a criminal judge charged with approving permits.

The additional word was that 'they're trying to find another judge'. But I can't confirm what that means.

I'm going to contact ANJRPC Strike Force about this.