GlockityGlockGlock

Sussex County Carry Permits

15 hours ago, Carolina Native said:

I just got a callback from the court.  Part of my information seems to contradict what's already posted here concerning case numbers.

My application was forwarded by Sparta police to the court at the end of September.  I'm case number 157 and was told that case numbers in the low hundreds are currently being worked on.

He volunteered that Fridays are set aside to focus on it, though he didn't say Fridays are exclusively focused on it.  He also suggested they are getting 25 ish a week done, so it could be a couple more weeks to get mine processed. 

Having made my initial application on August 4th, that would put me at just under 90 days start to finish.

When did you submit your app?

2 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Mine was signed by judge Conforti. It specifically said, he was on recall.

If they recalled a judge to do permits than why wouldn't they be able to process them 5 days a week? It seems strange that the court can only process 25 a week when the investigative work is already done. Basically all they have to do it print out court orders with names / guns / dates, and sign paperwork....

7 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

If they recalled a judge to do permits than why wouldn't they be able to process them 5 days a week? It seems strange that the court can only process 25 a week when the investigative work is already done. Basically all they have to do it print out court orders with names / guns / dates, and sign paperwork....

This whole process is ridiculous. Its different at every PD, its different at every county.  Every permit is different. Some have to carry orders, some have restrictions, some have no restrictions.  Nobody knows what the hell is going on. Albeit this was fast and furious.  We should have one spot online to apply and upload docs. And the dam state needs specific guidance. There is zero standardization.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is Sussex still backdating permits? 

If you recieved one back dated, as I plan to do if so... 

I'm going to be filing a criminal complaint with my PD. 

Our permits by statute are good for 24 months. Not only is it a violation of law to issue one less than 24 months, since we have to pay for it, it also falls under fraud. 

If, when I pick mine up, it is back dated I will immediately be filing a complaint. Since NJ has laws against fraud, and the statutory requirement is 24 months, they must open an investigation. 

I encourage others to do the same. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

If, when I pick mine up, it is back dated I will immediately be filing a complaint. Since NJ has laws against fraud, and the statutory requirement is 24 months, they must open an investigation. 

You're an adult, so you can do what you want, but I don't think it's the best course of action.

You will presumably have permit in hand for the first time ever after PD's and courts had to do a complete 180 degree turn based on a change that went into effect in late June. 

IMO you'd be better served thanking the PD for processing it and telling them you're looking forward to seeing them again in the future for renewal.

Do you plan to hire a lawyer and spend thousands trying to collect damages of some kind?  What do you think will come from filing your complaint? 

20 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Is Sussex still backdating permits? 

If you recieved one back dated, as I plan to do if so... 

I'm going to be filing a criminal complaint with my PD. 

Our permits by statute are good for 24 months. Not only is it a violation of law to issue one less than 24 months, since we have to pay for it, it also falls under fraud. 

I encourage others to do the same. 

I thought about doing that. But I don't want a permit that lists guns or has "see court order" on it. So I'll let them have their 2 months. :\

Maybe it's different because my permit in Sussex County is kind of a unicorn where it says "none" instead of "see court order." I know technically I have to carry the order but it makes a difference when applying for out of state carry, where some states will freak out when they see "see court order."

44 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

You're an adult, so you can do what you want, but I don't think it's the best course of action.

You will presumably have permit in hand for the first time ever after PD's and courts had to do a complete 180 degree turn based on a change that went into effect in late June. 

IMO you'd be better served thanking the PD for processing it and telling them you're looking forward to seeing them again in the future for renewal.

Do you plan to hire a lawyer and spend thousands trying to collect damages of some kind?  What do you think will come from filing your complaint? 

I dont need a lawyer to file a criminal complaint. The PD will open an investigation into if a law was broken, and would be compelled to charge someone if they offended it. And I have no issues with my PD since they are not the ones penning the dates, it will be abundantly clear that the perpetrator is who ever dated the permit. 

The objective it to prevent and stop the practice of violating state law. 

I'm not really in the business of applauding people for doing their jobs, although I am always respectful and thankful for their efforts. 

However, if this takes 4 months, I have little to really thank anyone.. especially if I lose those 4 months from my 2 year permit. 

27 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I dont need a lawyer to file a criminal complaint. The PD will open an investigation into if a law was broken, and would be compelled to charge someone if they offended it. And I have no issues with my PD since they are not the ones penning the dates, it will be abundantly clear that the perpetrator is who ever dated the permit. 

The objective it to prevent and stop the practice of violating state law. 

I'm not really in the business of applauding people for doing their jobs, although I am always respectful and thankful for their efforts. 

However, if this takes 4 months, I have little to really thank anyone.. especially if I lose those 4 months from my 2 year permit. 

The PD isn't the problem here. At least with NJSP they have been prompt, polite and efficient. The courts are where things start to drag. That backdating is squarely on the courts. 

53 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

The PD isn't the problem here. At least with NJSP they have been prompt, polite and efficient. The courts are where things start to drag. That backdating is squarely on the courts. 

I agree. 

My purpose is really this. 

If I called the court to simply complain, they will most likely tell me to pound sand. If I petition the court, I have to spend my own money and hire a lawyer. 

Or.

I can simply file a complaint with my PD that I am the victim(of a crime)of the court who are breaking the law. Through filing the complaint I would assert I would be willing to drop the complaint only if the courts are willing to date permits accordingly moving forward, that I would be willing to overlook the loss of time(and money) if they correct the issue moving forward for others and myself when I reapply. 

If my PD has an issue with any of this, we'll unfortunately it's their JOB to ensure laws are being followed. I really don't see them having issue with me doing this though, or being "blacklisted" since the complaint won't be against them. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, RadioGunner said:

The trooper estimated that I was the 20th applicant at my local barracks.  It took NJSP 73 days to call my references and now it goes to Trenton for a review.  Not exactly prompt or efficient but I will agree they have been polite.

Some not so promising news for Sussex County Carry permits... 

I spoke to the court earlier today (10/25/22) and they said they just got case / permit number 125 to the judge. When I spoke to the court on 10/7/22 they told me they were working on permit 120 numbers....

To me this means that there must be a huge problem. Have they stopped issuing permits? It would sure appear so. How in the course of 18 days have they not moved out of the "120" numbers?

At this point there must be HUNDREDS if not over a THOUSAND carry permit application submissions within Sussex County. At this processing rate it will take years for people to get their permits.

The court indicated that the staff is overwhelmed, which may be the case, however the current issuing process is NOT the public's fault! Our rights should not be held up because our state government created a process that they cannot handle in a timely manner.

I also want to mention that the police departments are doing all the legwork (investigations ext). With that said what could be taking so long at the court? Why are other county courts like Passaic for example having no issues processing permits?

Your information from 10/7 may not have been accurate.  I spoke with them on the 19th, last Wednesday, and was told they were working on the low 100's.  

That would mean they completed 20 some odd applications on Friday.  That's  still not great progress but it is consistent with what they have indicated.  

12 minutes ago, Carolina Native said:

Your information from 10/7 may not have been accurate.  I spoke with them on the 19th, last Wednesday, and was told they were working on the low 100's.  

That would mean they completed 20 some odd applications on Friday.  That's  still not great progress but it is consistent with what they have indicated.  

The information that I posted is what I was told by the court. I have no way to validate it though. I have been writing down all my conversations with the police and the court in association with my application process.

Let's hope that there was a missunderstanding or something. Trust me I don't want to be negative and I want to believe that the court is processing applications appropriately.

I wish I knew the entire detailed process that the court is actually doing besides basically taking a pre-typed letter, inserting a name, date, and qualified firearms, printing it and putting that, the application, and permit infront of the judge to sign. Than mailing them back to the police departments in bulk packets. I am very interested in what is hindering progress so much.

12 hours ago, nooch450 said:

To me this means that there must be a huge problem. Have they stopped issuing permits? It would sure appear so. How in the course of 18 days have they not moved out of the "120" numbers?

Because they and other counties are purposely delaying the issuance of permits to exercise your constitutional right.

2 hours ago, nooch450 said:

I hate to think that this is the case, but it sure would appear that way...

I have been waiting 61 days and from I am hearing from people at the courthouse the judge is waiting for murphys new gun laws to issue any permits. When I spoke to the lady in the office where permits are printed out she said they have not received any for some time now and they don't know why. I do, the judge is not signing them. I contacted strikeforce last week and have not heard anything.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, SOMBYS said:

I have been waiting 61 days and from I am hearing from people at the courthouse the judge is waiting for murphys new gun laws to issue any permits. When I spoke to the lady in the office where permits are printed out she said they have not received any for some time now and they don't know why. I do, the judge is not signing them. I contacted strikeforce last week and have not heard anything.

When was your application received by the court? What is your case number?

I just spoke with the court and was told they are on case 144.  I called then a couple weeks ago and was told at that time they were in the low hundreds.  So it seems they are progressing at around 20 a week.

I'm number 157 so that should get tackled this week.  I'll be at 30 days at the court on Friday.  It was about 60 days at the local police.  

2 hours ago, Carolina Native said:

I just spoke with the court and was told they are on case 144.  I called then a couple weeks ago and was told at that time they were in the low hundreds.  So it seems they are progressing at around 20 a week.

I'm number 157 so that should get tackled this week.  I'll be at 30 days at the court on Friday.  It was about 60 days at the local police.  

I just got word he started signing permits again today  he got 40 done so I should get a call soon. I am at 67 days it was at PD 1 day next day they received it. Fingers crossed.