GlockityGlockGlock

Sussex County Carry Permits

Went to the PD for some insight that I will pass on.

In Sussex County if you received a ccw permit from the court with a court order that lists the weapons you can carry you are bound by that order. To add a gun, as the permit says you must still send in proof of permit, proof of purchase, and proof of qualification. Supposedly, it will be added at some point. Although its been 6 weeks.

The nice lady in charge of firearms seemed very up to date on new bs rules. She said, for all new applications they handle in house and turn them around quick. She did say, to renew it will be in house and by then will be electronic. 

I was told that I should have waited to apply, as I was her first application afyer Bruen. Also said I could write the court to vacate the order and reapply through PD.

Unanswered questions:

1. Do we have to qual with each weapon or does the permit cover any handgun like PA?

2. Fees she said have and gone up. But you save money on fingerprints.

3. No clue about insurance.

4. No fingerprints required.

The belief that NJ will be a constitutional carry was mentioned. Meaning get your purchase permit, buy hangun, and carry. 

• Informative 2

9 minutes ago, Parapig said:

I was told that I should have waited to apply, as I was her first application afyer Bruen.

Riiiight.

If everyone "waited" the courts and PD's would have dragged their feet even more and no permits would have been issued until they received "further clarity" while they waited for additional legislation.

The avalanche of applications forced them into action.

Yes, it's annoying that there's an extra step if you want to either vacate the order or add additional guns, but it's worth it IMO to get the process started.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Parapig said:

In Sussex County if you received a ccw permit from the court with a court order that lists the weapons you can carry you are bound by that order. To add a gun, as the permit says you must still send in proof of permit, proof of purchase, and proof of qualification. Supposedly, it will be added at some point. Although its been 6 weeks.

The nice lady in charge of firearms seemed very up to date on new bs rules. She said, for all new applications they handle in house and turn them around quick. She did say, to renew it will be in house and by then will be electronic. 

I was told that I should have waited to apply, as I was her first application afyer Bruen. Also said I could write the court to vacate the order and reapply through PD.

Unanswered questions:

1. Do we have to qual with each weapon or does the permit cover any handgun like PA?

The belief that NJ will be a constitutional carry was mentioned. Meaning get your purchase permit, buy hangun, and carry. 

Questions

A) does the court order explicitly state you can only carry the firearms listed? Or it just lists what you can carry.

B) why would you reapply after the court order is vacated? 

If it simply lists the firearms you can carry, but doesn't state you can ONLY carry them and nothing else, than the court order doesn't stop you from carrying other pistols with the new law. 

A court order is not the permit, and no you would not reapply because the court order that many people don't even have is vacated. 

16 minutes ago, rockchef1 said:

NJSP barracks that covers my town. Submitted 10/4/22 prints done on 10/10/22. Picking up today after work. 

So yours was done by the courts? Did you get a court order that you have to carry? Does it list the guns? 

3 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

So yours was done by the courts? Did you get a court order that you have to carry? Does it list the guns? 

Just picked up permit, it has see court order on it checked. I have to carry the court order with me and I’m restricted to gun I qualified with. 

16 hours ago, rockchef1 said:

I have to carry the court order with me and I’m restricted to gun I qualified with. 

Hopefully NJ's 2A groups are getting ahead of this and are calling police chiefs to ensure everyone is on the same page.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, racinghart03 said:

Vernon PD rocks. The woman who handles the process was awesome and really was a pleasure. Submitted on December 19th. Permits are ready for pickup. I will pick them up tomorrow and let everyone know if there are any court orders that will be tagging along.

Purchase permits or the carry permit

Ok everyone. So my wife and I picked up our CCP this morning. Permit only. No court order. We can carry any gun we own. It was mentioned that in 2 years we will need to qualify with any gun we plan to carry but that is fine. I qualified well over the requirement  2 for 2 so far I am not sweating qualifying with any gun I plan to carry with. My wife did as well.  I am comfortable with a requirement that verifies a skillset with a particular firearm. I plan to qualify with my other guns as well. Just for good measure. And I also checked with my insurance company and they verified the liability I have would cover a gun related claim. All my guns are covered under a personal articles policy and I have an additional umbrella policy just to be safe. Can't say enough about the Vernon PD. I usually dread dealing with any town departments but they were above board and exceptionally pleasant. 

• Informative 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:55 AM, Parapig said:

Unanswered questions:

Update: picked up ammended order that specifically lists three guns that can be carried. The order MUST be carried and adhered to until renewing carry permit with town in 2025, then courts are out of it. 

Interesting the date of order was 1-12-23, expiring 1-12-2025.

No clue if that extends permit or not. Theres no exp date on permit just new order. 

Also told by then they are hoping the system is all automated.

This sign was posted.

20230125_093451.jpg

• Informative 1

Well here it is March 19 2023 and I'm still waiting since September 10 2022.

I have spoken to the Chief and he said I'm waiting on the state.

Since the, I spoke to him a month ago and he was waiting on the permit printing paper.

I'm wondering if its being shipped by snail from Australia.

I have a good relationship with the Chief, this is very frustrating.

46 minutes ago, Bagarocks said:

Well here it is March 19 2023 and I'm still waiting since September 10 2022.

I have spoken to the Chief and he said I'm waiting on the state.

Since the, I spoke to him a month ago and he was waiting on the permit printing paper.

I'm wondering if its being shipped by snail from Australia.

I have a good relationship with the Chief, this is very frustrating.

What town is this?

I applied in early November, finally got the call to pick up my permit on Monday. NJSP.

Permit is a small piece of paper, no court order, no restrictions. Looks exactly like a FID plus my picture. I'm curious if I can carry any of my guns now or what. There is no instructions or anything. Might have to put a call into the barracks.

• Informative 1

After getting my permit in December, I convinced a friend to get his application in before the cost went up with the new law.  It's now 4 months with the Sparta police and he's still waiting. 

There are no problems on my friend's part.  The department just doesn't seem to be getting anything issued.  My friend was told a couple weeks ago that the SPD is working on applications from late October.  Something appears amiss to me.  At this rate it could be June or July for him.  Anyone hearing similar stories?

On 4/3/2023 at 9:54 AM, Carolina Native said:

After getting my permit in December, I convinced a friend to get his application in before the cost went up with the new law.  It's now 4 months with the Sparta police and he's still waiting. 

There are no problems on my friend's part.  The department just doesn't seem to be getting anything issued.  My friend was told a couple weeks ago that the SPD is working on applications from late October.  Something appears amiss to me.  At this rate it could be June or July for him.  Anyone hearing similar stories?

Yup... I was not happy with their timeline.. especially when it was indicated they had two officers working on permits requests. It mine 4 months to be approved through the PD. They also called My boss, which was kinda irritating when I don't recall having a job was a requirement. 

Finally finally finally.

I received a call from the Chief today and was informed to come to the Police station to pick up my permit!!!

clean permit no nuthin attached or implied.

He did advise that he was of the opinion that it would be in my best interest to minimize/reduce the size of my qualification card and keep it with my permit.

In his opinion, the State is just waiting for the "first" testing of our rights so they can make an example, of the consequences of legally exercising your rights to defend yerself against "fear for your life" and "deadly force".

He believes if you use a weapon other than what you qualified with , (which by the way State Law allows, any you own), It will be used against you.

But its a good day fer me. Thank You SCOTUS for upholding the Constitution.

• Informative 1

I posted on April 23 of receiving my PTC. It took 7 months.

So I decided to apply for out of state Pennsylvania PTC permit.

I went to Pike County Sheriffs office, I handed in my papers. The Officer reviewed my paperwork and asked if I wanted to wait for the background check to be completed which could take 5 mins or 5 hours? Or just come back the following Tuesday to pick up your permit.

The difference between Rights afforded and rights if we allow.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2