RadioGunner

New training for FIDs will be online

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/ProgressOnCertainPermittingIssues

In particular:

1. The Superintendent of State Police has approved a new online course of instruction to satisfy the training requirement of the new law. The new online course is expected to be imminently announced officially.  It is not yet known whether this will ultimately be the only recognized training course, but at least there will be one compliance mechanism available while we advocate for others.

2. All County Prosecutor offices statewide have been instructed by the Attorney General that law enforcement agencies are to process all first-time purchaser applications as they have done previously (without the digital fingerprint and photograph), until such time as the new requirements are actually implemented.

Looks like Callahan realized that bare compliance with a law that would likely be struck down anyway is the smartest move. An online course sort of like online traffic school should be no problem. We shouldn't need training for a right, but this isn't as onerous as it could be.

40 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

2. All County Prosecutor offices statewide have been instructed by the Attorney General that law enforcement agencies are to process all first-time purchaser applications as they have done previously (without the digital fingerprint and photograph), until such time as the new requirements are actually implemented.

Why? There are no FPIC or PtPP issued by any prosecutor's office. PD's and NJSP issue them. The prosecutor has zero involvement. None. Nada. Zilch.

34 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Why? There are no FPIC or PtPP issued by any prosecutor's office. PD's and NJSP issue them. The prosecutor has zero involvement. None. Nada. Zilch.

The prosecutor apparently sets guidelines and process for the PDs. They don’t handle day to day processing of apps. 

22 minutes ago, dajonga said:

My son's 4th grade power point presentation on photosynthesis was better.

What a joke. I would love to know how much $ was allocated for this!!!

I'm imagining the conversation at NJSP went like this:

Platkin to Callahan - "Oh shit, the gun nuts are rallying, time's up on getting that training thing together"

Later: Callahan at NJSP meeting - "Ok, who's got the best online firearms training program out there?"

Trooper - "Sir, the NRA has well established and vetted training and safety materials that we should take a look at..."

Callahan - "WTF Did you just say to me!?"

Trooper - "The NRA..."

Callahan - "GET DA FUQ OUTTA HERE!  Get me that new recruit who's good with powerpoint, we're going to knock this out right here and now..."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, dajonga said:

Probably not much. Which is good. It’s just a speed bump. Take your real training with a certified NRA, IDPA, PTC or other recognized instructor.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Don't get me wrong.. I am happy to see that this "training" Murphy signed into law is not another hurdle and/or money grab to gun ownership, I just find this "solution" to be ridiculous.

I think it's just a rushed last minute/low effort action to have *something* in place.

I'd love to see the faces of the legislators who wrote this new requirement when they learn of how it's implemented:

"Are you kidding me!?  The extent of the training requirement is that they have to click a button 26 times!?"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'd love to see the faces of the legislators who wrote this new requirement when they learn of how it's implemented:

"Are you kidding me!?  The extent of the training requirement is that they have to click a button 26 times!?"

They'll fix that shortly, to allow just 10 clicks before you have to reload the page, then 10 more clicks, then reload...

It is NJ, after all.

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I think it's just a rushed last minute/low effort action to have *something* in place.

I have a feeling that all these legislators will be patting themselves on the back for “effecting change” and “making the world a better place” and whatever other garbage they tell themselves.

They will probably vote to give themselves raises and longer vacations as a present to themselves for all the hard work they did making us safer.

13 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

So i guess this should also satisfy the training/qualification portion of you PTC appliciation! 

Dont forget the word "OR" in the 3 listed options for qualifications.....   :hi:

Assuming your post was sarcasm.

But...option 3 of NJAC 13:45-2.4 is:

3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

So I'd say it doesn't count.

Honestly this is the best we could hope for. I always imagined that this could be simply embedded in the FARS experience, so I am glad that's as far as it goes.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have something like this. It's less invasive than the hunting education. A quick primer on gun safety is a fair "cover your ass" compromise, but at this length people will just skip through it anyway.

However, the slide on storage intentionally misleads people to think they're obligated to store the gun locked and unloaded. They mention the transport statute but strangely don't go into detail, which would make this whole thing more useful.

As usual this just adds more confusion.

6 hours ago, SJ Guns said:

Assuming your post was sarcasm.

But...option 3 of NJAC 13:45-2.4 is:

3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

So I'd say it doesn't count.

Absolutely, positively, 100% sarcasm.... :hi:

Just poking humor at the convoluted and erratic requirements and solutions (or lack of) that we have to indure....

On 9/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, dajonga said:

Allocated? $274,000 Actually spent $3.50. 

• Haha 1