ESB

Best Gun Oil Lube (not a CLP)

Looking for a dedicated gun oil lube and protectant that is not a CLP.  Looking to reduce surface wear on the sliding parts, as well as provide rust protection during storage.  I use a CLP for quick cleanings, but every once in a while I use dedicated cleaners when needed, and follow up with a dedicated lube before final re-assembly.  Looking for a better lube than Hoppes #9 Lubricating Gun Oil as I do see surface coatings wearing off even after light use using it.  

I use Tri-Flow.

From the company. "Tri-Flow® Superior Lubricant is the superior, light viscosity lube that allows for deep penetration into hard to reach moving parts. The drip bottle application, with a convenient straw, allows for deep penetration in hard to reach moving parts. High-grade petroleum oils provide optimum lubrication under extreme temperatures (-60 to 475°F) and humidity. Formulated solvents soften and remove dirt and contaminants, while special additives displace moisture and prevent rust and corrosion. Formulated with P.T.F.E."

The Teflon component reduces wear.  I swear by this stuff on all my guns.

All 3 of them that is!

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Slip 2000 EWL 

My instructor at the Sig Armorer's course in Epping shot about 5,000 rounds a week with his P220 SAO (:wub:) in his other duties, and swore by EWL. Said he only cleaned the gun once a week, and ran it 'wet'.  I use it exclusively now.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I use Tri-Flow.

I swear by Tri-Flow around the house. Works miracles of lubrication on a variety of things. I'm just not sure about using it on firearms long term. How long have you employed it?

I was a Frog Lube fan for quite a while. But when it was very cool or cold it made many of my slides harder to rack. It needed to be almost warm to 'flow'. It did work as advertised as far as wipe-it and you're clean goes.

14 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I swear by Tri-Flow around the house. Works miracles of lubrication on a variety of things. I'm just not sure about using it on firearms long term. How long have you employed it?

I have used it on my guns and tons of other things my whole adult life.  All of my technicians use it exclusively in the field and my company supplies it.. We service and maintain copiers and printers, etc.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I have used it on my guns and tons of other things my whole adult life.  All of my technicians use it exclusively in the field and my company supplies it.. We service and maintain copiers and printers, etc.

Lube isn't the hard part. It's the P part that is a bit of a pain. How is it at corrosion protection? 

19 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Lube isn't the hard part. It's the P part that is a bit of a pain. How is it at corrosion protection? 

No rust on ANY of my guns yet. Some I don't touch for a year or more and they look the same as when I wiped them down with a very thin coat of Tri-Flow.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, PK90 said:

Militec is good, if you follow the directions. Directions which include firing the gun to operating temps after cleaning and applying the lube.

https://www.militec-1.com/firearms-application-instructions

a8aw11v.jpg

I have multiple lubes from the Hoppe's original to their high performance lube. At the moment i like using the Baristol. Thanks hickok45. I probably over clean as I'll usually put about 50-150 rounds through then clean. I never really know when I'm going to go through a stretch of not shooting, I'd say that's my mentality.

• Like 1

I like Balistol as mulitpurpose cleaner, protectant.   I use it as a cleaner for the easy stuff, and also spray it into hard to reach areas to lube and protect them.  Its not strong enough to thoroughly clean the bolt, nor is it good enough to lube the really high wear parts. 

I'm really looking for something just for the high wear parts, where the phosate coating is coming off.  I gave Lucase Extreme Duty Gun Oil a try.  Doesn't seem any better than regular Hoppes Gun Oil.  

Anyone try Cleanzoil as a lube on their high wear parts?  

On 9/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, High Exposure said:

Slip 2000 EWL 

/thread

So far I've tried Hoppe's Gun Oil, Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil, Balistol, and Slip 2000.  I couldn't tell much of a difference in performance between the Hoppes and the Lucas.  The Slip 2000 is noticeably better than the others.  Goes on thin, stays on, and doesn't attract dust.  Haven't noticed any additional wear since using it.  Real test would be to use it with a new gun to see if any of the parkerized coating wears.