ESB

5.7 Pistol Grip fed carbine pistol legal?

What are you looking for in particular?  50oz is lighter than you think.  CMR-30 is definitely over the 50oz weight AND has the handguard for a "barrel shroud"

If you just want a 5.7x28 pistol - look at the Ruger 57.  There's a 10 round compliant model.  Heck of a lot cheaper than the FN Five-seveN.  It's a great shooter.  PSA Rock 5.7 is pretty nice as well and a lot cheaper... but good luck getting NJ'ified mags.  

I've fired 5.7x28 "pistols" at SHOT Show (Diamondback DBX57) - they shot fine... but not NJ legal in any shape or form.

There's really no point here in NJ.  The point of 5.7x28 is ammo capacity and armor penetration.

If NJ gets rid of the AWB then fine - but no reason until then.

44 minutes ago, ESB said:

Would something like the Keltec CMR-30 be legal as a pistol in NJ if the barrel was shorter, weighed under 50oz and had a pistol brace?  And of course 10rd mags.  Something like this in 5.7x28 would be cool.  Thoughts?

https://keltecarmstore.com/kel-tec-cmr-30-22-wmr-semi-automatic-rimfire-rifle/

keltec cmr 30 5 1 1

Add a VFG, have an FFL pin the brace so it’s over 27”, and make it an “other”.*

Use 10 round mags, add an optic, light, and sling and you’d have yourself a poor-man’s MP7.

As to the 5.7 round - it’s fun and expensive. Terminal ballistics blow. Any cartridge you can get on the civy market will be garbage and inferior compared to much cheaper and easier to find .22 and .17 loadings.

In the end, you’d probably have just as much fun (if not more) with this chambered in .22 for a lot less money.

* IANAL: Double check with an attorney or FFL, but I am pretty sure that if you can make a pistol into a rifle, you can make a pistol into an other. Proceed at your own risk. Do not accept any gun-forum advice as legal or correct without verifying it.

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

As to the 5.7 round - it’s fun and expensive.

I forgot to tell you, I changed my opinion on 5.7n.  It is WAY too much trouble.  I thought the "angle" was going to be reloading, but components are scarcer than hens teeth, and what little is out there saves no money.  The round does not lend itself to reloading easily and economically like 223.

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

I forgot to tell you, I changed my opinion on 5.7n.  It is WAY too much trouble.  I thought the "angle" was going to be reloading, but components are scarcer than hens teeth, and what little is out there saves no money.  The round does not lend itself to reloading easily and economically like 223.

Glad you figured that out before you dove in!

Trying to figure out how to make a NJ legal AR style pistol that's shorter than 26" and shoots rounds at rifle speeds and distances. Obviously it wouldn't be an AR since it the mag is in the pistol grip, but that size/function gun was the inspiration.   Wouldn't be opposed to .22WMR but just figured rimfire vs centerfire would be better.   

I built a lightweight AR that is just over 70oz.  I would think that using lots of polymer and shortening it enough would keep it under 50oz.  May have to sell the pistol brace as an add on/option so that the as sold weight was under 50oz.