Lawnmower2021

Last gun purchase for a while - any long gun suggestions?

Hey Folks,

So, I'm currently waiting to take home a pistol and wondering if there is anything I should consider taking home with it.

So far for long guns I have:

• A 5.56 "other"
  • AK in 7.62
  • Henry .22 Lever Action
  • Umarex .22 MP5
  • Browning Semi-Auto Shotgun
  • Mossberg 500 Pump
  • Kel-Tec Sub2000

You might tell that I like variety. Open to suggestions to broaden my horizons or just plain good shooters to improve my skills. Though I did my hunting education, I don't actually hunt though am open to it.

Maybe a bolt-action, or an accurate .22 rifle for practice? Also saw an M1A at a LGS that caught my curiosity. Not looking for anything that couldn't be shouldered.

Our real family is growing this year so I'm going to be taking a break from the hobby for a while. :)

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Hey Folks,

So, I'm currently waiting to take home a pistol and wondering if there is anything I should consider taking home with it.

• A 5.56 "other"
  • AK in 7.62
  • Henry .22 Lever Action
  • Umarex .22 MP5
  • Mossberg 500 Pump
  • Kel-Tec Sub2000

You might tell that I like variety. Open to suggestions to broaden my horizons or just plain good shooters to improve my skills. Though I did my hunting education, I don't actually hunt though am open to it.

Maybe a bolt-action, or an accurate .22 rifle for practice? Also saw an M1A at a LGS that caught my curiosity. Not looking for anything that couldn't be shouldered.

Our real family is growing this year so I'm going to be taking a break from the hobby for a while. :)

figure out what you lean towards then come back.  You are all over here and any suggestion is like throwing a dart at a board imho.

2 hours ago, siderman said:

Something that reaches out with authority. The 308 sounds like a good idea.

get some aero receivers and put one together?

I put a nice one together although it's only been to the range 2x and now just sits.  A 1-8x sits on it now.  no issues on both trips, accurate and right at 16" as I built it to be a bush gun of sorts.  Had it to 330yds, fun to shoot.  If you don't want to build one there are options but more money

201.jpg

and 308 is my favorite caliber, love it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

figure out what you lean towards then come back.  You are all over here and any suggestion is like throwing a dart at a board imho.

Having focus is always good advice as well.

I like where this .308 conversation is going since it's completely new to me. Building one sounds interesting, didn't occur to me! Thanks for the input so far, I'll read up on some options.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Hey Folks,

• A 5.56 "other"
  • AK in 7.62
  • Henry .22 Lever Action
  • Umarex .22 MP5
  • Mossberg 500 Pump
  • Kel-Tec Sub2000

I don't know what you have in the way of revolvers but how about a pistol caliber lever action carbine (.38 special, .357 magnum, etc) You wouldn't have to worry about buying a new caliber to stock up because you already have it for your revolver

Congrats on the family addition! 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Also saw an M1A at a LGS....

On 10/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, siderman said:

Something that reaches out with authority. The 308 sounds like a good idea.

Welllll... I kept thinking about the M1A and just got it since it was a steal. Whew! It's a beautiful specimen with all wood furniture.

1 hour ago, dilbert1967 said:

I don't know what you have in the way of revolvers but how about a pistol caliber lever action carbine (.38 special, .357 magnum, etc) You wouldn't have to worry about buying a new caliber to stock up because you already have it for your revolver

Congrats on the family addition! 

Thank you! :)

I definitely want a side-loading .357 lever action at some point for that exact reason.

34 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Welllll... I kept thinking about the M1A and just got it since it was a steal. Whew! It's a beautiful specimen with all wood furniture.

Thank you! :)

I definitely want a side-loading .357 lever action at some point for that exact reason.

Congrats!  I have a Henry 357 and CX4 for the reason of sharing ammo, it's only logical. Altho the Henry is strictly 357 at this point since my eyes need an optic for distance and the scope is fixed for 357 at 50. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Congrats on the M1A!  I would jump on a good deal on one if I ever find it! They are always like $1,500.00!

I have a Rossi Model 92 lever rifle in .357.  I would highly recommend the Rossi if you can find a nice one.

I got it about 40 years ago and probably put 20 rounds though it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Since I left this thread in suspense, I settled on this M1A which came with this neat army M14 manual and some accessories :)

Now I just have to find time to shoot it...

m1a.png

Congratulations!  That is a freaking gorgeous rifle!  Did you get that from CMP or a dealer?  I want one sooo bad! I guess that set you back about $1,800 or thereabouts.:)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Congratulations!  That is a freaking gorgeous rifle!  Did you get that from CMP or a dealer?  I want one sooo bad! I guess that set you back about $1,800 or thereabouts.:)

Thank you! Actually found at a local dealer. It was about $1400 used and couldn't pass it up! They already have more M1As and M1 Garands for around $1900+.