rockchef1

How much extra are you carrying?

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

You can carry as many as you want.

Personally, I carry at least 1 spare, and usually 2.

That’s kinda what I thought, I didn’t see anything about carrying extra mags. Definitely will carry 1 but I have a 2 mag pouch when the times comes to having the PTC. 

BTW, my practice won't change when we get regular sized mags back. It's not all about the number of rounds available. Magazines are the #1 cause of feed issues. An extra mag is good to have regardless of how many rounds it is limited to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, rockchef1 said:

So we know there is a limit on mag size, but is there a limit on how many extra you can carry on your person when legally carrying in NJ?? How many are you carrying?

No limit.  And even if they were to try to pull some BS about limiting how much ammo/mags you can carry on you, Dick Heller just won a 2nd lawsuit in DC that limited carry to essentially 20 rounds (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/fairness-justice/namesake-of-landmark-supreme-court-case-scores-another-second-amendment-win-in-dc), so it would be overturned right quick.

12 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'm the oddball here, since I plan to carry my SP101 5-shot revolver. I do plan to carry two  speedloaders. At the range, I seem to be able to load nearly as fast without the SL, but that's working with ammo on the bench in front of me. In the field, I'm sure the SL will be faster and much more reliable. Dropping a handful of ammo while being shot at seems like a great way to be simultaneously embarrassed and dead. I've got two H-Ks, and I also have two 5-Star on the way. I'll do some loading from both brands and then pick one for EDC. Using both kinds wouldn't be a good idea as they lock/unlock in opposite directions...

Also consider speed strips. They are less bulky than speedloaders so easier to carry around, but better than loose rounds.

https://bianchileather.com/products/speed-strips-pair-10851

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

BTW, my practice won't change when we get regular sized mags back. It's not all about the number of rounds available. Magazines are the #1 cause of feed issues. An extra mag is good to have regardless of how many rounds it is limited to.

Absolutely agree.

When I started doing action shooting matches it quickly became apparent that "shit happens".  Even on VERY expensive guns and reliable name brands, there are times when even the best shooters would need to drop a mag because of a malfunction of some kind.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I'm the oddball here, since I plan to carry my SP101 5-shot revolver. I do plan to carry two  speedloaders. At the range, I seem to be able to load nearly as fast without the SL, but that's working with ammo on the bench in front of me. In the field, I'm sure the SL will be faster and much more reliable. Dropping a handful of ammo while being shot at seems like a great way to be simultaneously embarrassed and dead. I've got two H-Ks, and I also have two 5-Star on the way. I'll do some loading from both brands and then pick one for EDC. Using both kinds wouldn't be a good idea as they lock/unlock in opposite directions...

I recommend getting some dummy rounds and do a lot of dry fire practice and reloading with both speed loaders and speed clips.  With even just 5 minutes a day for a week, you'd be surprised at how proficient you'll become with both.

There's simply no comparing either speed loaders and speed strips to just using loose rounds.  Both are significantly faster than the loose rounds.

I have one speed loader and a bunch of speed clips for my revolver.  The speed loader is the fastest for a full reload, but the speed clips can be used to "top off" if you have time to pull out a few spent shells.

If you get the speed clips i recommend getting them for at least 1 more round than the capacity of your pistol (so at least 6 slots for you).  This allows you to leave a blank spot in the middle of the strip to index your finger.  This guy does it in his video:

On 10/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, Krdshrk said:

No limit.  And even if they were to try to pull some BS about limiting how much ammo/mags you can carry on you, Dick Heller just won a 2nd lawsuit in DC that limited carry to essentially 20 rounds (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/fairness-justice/namesake-of-landmark-supreme-court-case-scores-another-second-amendment-win-in-dc), so it would be overturned right quick.

Im glad that got overturned.  I rolled my eyes the first time I read about DC's cartridge limit.