g17owner

Pulled over in NJ while Carrying?

On 10/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, Bomber said:

Right and maybe some cops would just rather not know if you're CCWing.

Moot point anyway, they'll probably have some way to check if you're a CCP holder once they run your DL. 

According to a family member NJSP trooper, there is no way to know if you have a carry permit, it is not in any data base they can access

The right answer is to shut up no good could ever come by sharing excess(or maybe even any)  info with the police.  Unless there a law passed that requires disclosure no good come from voluntarily doing it.

Remember HANDGUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN NJ and are legal only by exemption . That means , despite what you were taught, you are guilty till you prove you're innocent (ie within the exemption). This allows police to have PC and to investigate the crime(carrying a handgun) and legally search your car, your person ect ect ect.

Also as a matter of habit if you're traveling with any gun related items, ie going to the range with an ammo can or range bag that is visible , it's best to cover it because that's also PC for a search and if you don't have a PTC you better be able to prove you're going to/coming from the range if you have a hand gun.

These people(liberals) hate you(2a supporters) and it's best to be smart since the law is on their side.

Edit:

Before you go on about they'll see it and shoot me, if you're in your car and carrying with a OWB holster you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes ago, Ferris said:

The right answer is to shut up no good could ever come by sharing excess(or maybe even any)  info with the police.  Unless there a law passed that requires disclosure no good come from voluntarily doing it.

Remember HANDGUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN NJ and are legal only by exemption . That means , despite what you were taught, you are guilty till you prove you're innocent (ie within the exemption). This allows police to have PC and to investigate the crime(carrying a handgun) and legally search your car, your person ect ect ect.

Also as a matter of habit if you're traveling with any gun related items, ie going to the range with an ammo can or range bag that is visible , it's best to cover it because that's also PC for a search and if you don't have a PTC you better be able to prove you're going to/coming from the range if you have a hand gun.

These people(liberals) hate you(2a supporters) and it's best to be smart since the law is on their side.

Edit:

Before you go on about they'll see it and shoot me, if you're in your car and carrying with a OWB holster you're doing it wrong.

What’s the proper method for car carry? 

7 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

What’s the proper method for car carry? 

In the waist band. Try getting your weapon out of the on the waist band holster with a seat belt on.  If you want to unholster because you carry owb  and want it accessible then I don't think leaving it out in the open is a good idea. The minute they approach your car and it's out in the open your getting drawn on anyway and that point telling them you're carrying it pointless since they already know. Plus it opens you to nose karens in an SUV.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:59 AM, RAYWOODROW3RD said:

If I get pulled over:

I plan on handing drivers license, registration, insurance and PTC over at the same time.

Let the officer decide on where he wants to go from there.

RW3

Normally its a fool and their money is quickly departed but with you its going to be a fool and their freedom ....
Don't offer any additional information to the police when its not required or needed. 
I can say this as I work with them...most police in NJ are more like oversized babies and very
power /control happy. (the chiefs/ deputy chiefs are the worst) 
You invite nothing but problems giving up information that they just dont need to know about. I was out of state the other week where my non resident FFL allows me to carry. I had an issue which an officer offered to help and without going into more details than that I never once informed them I was carrying as I was carrying correctly. 

But go ahead and flash that PTC around to the police when its not needed and maybe I can get a deal when you become a prohibited person and forced to sell your guns on the forums? Remember where you are they will look for a reason to take your guns away.

Keep your damn mouth shut if you know whats best for you, lol.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ferris said:

In the waist band. Try getting your weapon out of the on the waist band holster with a seat belt on.  If you want to unholster because you carry owb  and want it accessible then I don't think leaving it out in the open is a good idea. The minute they approach your car and it's out in the open your getting drawn on anyway and that point telling them you're carrying it pointless since they already know. Plus it opens you to nose karens in an SUV.

Which side? Strong side? 

I have a particular method but I want to know what other people are doing. 

those of you saying that you're not gonna offer up if or not you're carrying......if they make it a requirement, and you don't........what then? 'specially knowing that they'll probably have it linked to our dl in some way? so they'll know. yet we have to tell them or we become a felon......

• Agree 1

Here is the problem. In a carjacking or similar I need my gun QUICKLY. Strong side where I have to undo my seatbelt wastes precious seconds where I can be shot and killed. So I do cross draw and put the seatbelt behind the gun. But even with a garment above it, I am guaranteed to be printing and the gun is guaranteed visible. While I don't want to be a test case I am prone to be being pulled over for all kind of nonsense. One PD in Morris County pulled me over almost daily because their license plate reader used to misread my plate. So with that kind of frequent interaction with law enforcement I am guaranteed that they'll see the gun some day. 

So I'm between a rock and a hard place here. Yes I know many Jersey cops aren't accustomed to citizen CCW. But they have to get used to it. We can't all hide. And if you have a legal permit and aren't in a sensitive location then even if you get arrested you will win in court. 

I really do think that we need to get to a place where an encounter with law enforcement doesn't end in an arrest if you are legally carrying.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:16 AM, RadioGunner said:

Not to worry, this will be one of the things that will be "fixed" in response to Bruen. I suspect that it will be when, not if we have duty to inform that it may actually be worse than free America and be a third degree crime or something.

Looks like in #FJD's bill it will be a fourth degree crime. I was close. 

15 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Here is the problem. In a carjacking or similar I need my gun QUICKLY. Strong side where I have to undo my seatbelt wastes precious seconds where I can be shot and killed. So I do cross draw and put the seatbelt behind the gun. But even with a garment above it, I am guaranteed to be printing and the gun is guaranteed visible. While I don't want to be a test case I am prone to be being pulled over for all kind of nonsense. One PD in Morris County pulled me over almost daily because their license plate reader used to misread my plate. So with that kind of frequent interaction with law enforcement I am guaranteed that they'll see the gun some day. 

So I'm between a rock and a hard place here. Yes I know many Jersey cops aren't accustomed to citizen CCW. But they have to get used to it. We can't all hide. And if you have a legal permit and aren't in a sensitive location then even if you get arrested you will win in court. 

I really do think that we need to get to a place where an encounter with law enforcement doesn't end in an arrest if you are legally carrying.

I was in a bit of a rush earlier. In the waist ban appendix is what I was getting at. I mean try what works for you. I personally would rather it be concealed and accessible while driving.

If we have to inform we have to inform, in that case I'd do it, but until that time the less info the better. There is no doubt the minute you tell them you're carrying they will have you step out and take possession of your firearm, in the name of officer safety. I'd wager most will drop the mag and check  capacity and make sure you're not carrying hollow points. If they want to be a dick, or are anti 2a, it'll be a pretext to search the car as well.

My point is less is more unless there is no choice.

4 minutes ago, Ferris said:

I was in a bit of a rush earlier. In the waist ban appendix is what I was getting at. I mean try what works for you. I personally would rather it be concealed and accessible while driving.

If we have to inform we have to inform, in that case I'd do it, but until that time the less info the better. There is no doubt the minute you tell them you're carrying they will have you step out and take possession of your firearm, in the name of officer safety. I'd wager most will drop the mag and check  capacity and make sure you're not carrying hollow points. If they want to be a dick, or are anti 2a, it'll be a pretext to search the car as well.

My point is less is more unless there is no choice.

Appendix carry... ok. I can't do that. 

If I get pulled over:

I plan on handing drivers license, registration, insurance and PTC over at the same time.

And your wallet, cell phone, house keys, passport, birth certificate, SSN, H.S. diploma, library card, marriage license, PBA card, credit cards, ATM card (with PIN), hunting license, dog license (with proof of rabies vax), photos of the wife and kids.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I get pulled over:

RW3

If they don't ask....why are you going to tell? Don't reach, and you are fine!!!

17 hours ago, Bomber said:

And your wallet, cell phone, house keys, passport, birth certificate, SSN, H.S. diploma, marriage license, PBA card, credit cards, ATM card (with PIN), hunting license, dog license (with proof of rabies vax), photos of the wife and kids.. 

Exactly.....just offer them info they didn't ask for. 

Been pulled over twice for blown head light 2 different towns.

Both times I said sir just so you know I have a carry permit and my firearm is on my side.

First I was on the way hunting with my dog and a passenger in club cab pick up with 2 shotguns leaning on console pointed in passenger floor in gun socks.  He asked us if we minded stepping out for saftey reasons no problem.  Asked for credentials and sent us on our way no issues thanked me for telling him up front.

Next I told him n he says You dont reach for your I won't reach for mine.  Told him my wallet was in my back pocket same side as my gun he said np get it.  Than asked me if I liked I can carry what kind of holster.  Told me he appreciated me telling him right away showed him I was being transparent and sent me on my way 

• Like 1

Many years ago in Pa when i lived there, your permit was tied to your license, when I applied to PA to get my CC permit after I received my NJ one, it was once again listed that it will be tied to my license.  I do not know if out of state permits are tied to the NJ license but that is what was listed when I signed up for PA permit.  I do not see that wording for NJ but I would most likely see that in the future.

5 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Bear in mind that thanks to A4769 we will have actual duty to inform in July, provided it’s not struck down by courts. 

I think that's a very important point.

I could see that part of the legislation staying in place even if a lot of the other nonsense is struck...

9 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think that's a very important point.

I could see that part of the legislation staying in place even if a lot of the other nonsense is struck...

Yes. However, it is compelled speed aka 1st amendment violation. I know lots of other states have it but a "duty to inform" likely cannot be found constitutional under the Bruen test.

9 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Yes. However, it is compelled speed aka 1st amendment violation. I know lots of other states have it but a "duty to inform" likely cannot be found constitutional under the Bruen test.

We here in Texas have a duty to inform, and our LTC is tied to our DL. 

Personally, I see it as no big deal. Should I get pulled over, I want there to be ZERO misunderstandings between me and the LEO during our interaction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, g17owner said:

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've read/understand there is a significant weight granted to historic precedent.  In the case of letting PD know right away that you're carrying, there are many states that have the requirement, so there is reasonable expectation that it would be adopted in NJ.

Personally I don't have an issue with letting police know I'm carrying.  Better for them to find out from me right away then being surprised at some point in a prolonged encounter.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, 124gr9mm said:

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've read/understand there is a significant weight granted to historic precedent.  In the case of letting PD know right away that you're carrying, there are many states that have the requirement, so there is reasonable expectation that it would be adopted in NJ.

Personally I don't have an issue with letting police know I'm carrying.  Better for them to find out from me right away then being surprised at some point in a prolonged encounter.

The Bruen standard is that those historical analogies had to be in effect at the time of the founding. Do we have an example of duty to inform laws from that time period? 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, 1LtCAP said:

those of you saying that you're not gonna offer up if or not you're carrying......if they make it a requirement, and you don't........what then? 'specially knowing that they'll probably have it linked to our dl in some way? so they'll know. yet we have to tell them or we become a felon......

Meh who cares? Concealed carry means concealed carry. I will not tell them. I'm not having my property "removed" for "their safety" nor am i stepping out of my car "for their safety" . Everything is about "their " safety and they are the biggest bunch of pussies in the world, everything scares them...from dogs to to window tint to the wrong color skin.  Enough is enough.  If I get stopped 

"Do you have any weapons on you"  My answer would be "I dont answer police questions without my lawyer
and i'm invoking the 5th from this point on" (This is where I wouldn't show my connection obviously) . 

For just a traffic stop any "reasonable" person would not have a reason to search just because I don't want to answer questions and with nothing more to go on should they search anyway and find it just
about any D- or better lawyer will have that thrown out for illegal search.  They cant hit me for "lying"
about the weapon as I refused to answer it. I cannot be compelled to testify against myself. 

I was out of state awhile back concealed carrying. Needed to get to an area that only a cop could
access so a LT gave me a ride to that spot and as i sat in the front seat I never said "hmm, now
would be a good time to tell this LT I have a .45 on my hip) The state had no duty to inform and
again concealed carry means just that. 

I said it before the idiot law and i'll saw it after. If i am stopped I will not answer that question. 

10 hours ago, IhateNJ said:

If i am stopped I will not answer that question.

There are 2 problems with your approach.

1) By refusing to answer a direct question, you are automatically escalating the situation. Your car may match the description of one that was just involved in an armed robbery. You are now a suspect and things could go very wrong quickly!

2) You just blew any chance of getting away with a warning. The officer will enjoy issuing you all the citations he/she can think of! 

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

1) By refusing to answer a direct question, you are automatically escalating the situation. Your car may match the description of one that was just involved in an armed robbery. You are now a suspect and things could go very wrong quickly!

2) You just blew any chance of getting away with a warning. The officer will enjoy issuing you all the citations be can think of! 

Ah, a boot licker I see. So by invoking my rights im escalating the issue. Too bad they are my rights. 

I also said my connections. I could flip the script and show my police agency non police employee ID and as that has before it would squash a majority of possible traffic tickets. Yea its strange and ironic that someone that hates the cops as much as I do but works for them. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?  

12 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

2) You just blew any chance of getting away with a warning. The officer will enjoy issuing you all the citations be can think of! 

+ this, also, once the duty to inform drops, doesn’t the new law include a felony charge? 

9 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

Ah, a boot licker I see.

Let me ask you this in a clear and plain way.  Do you view cooperating with police during a traffic stop as licking boot?  A simple yes or no will do, but feel free to explain.

10 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

someone that hates the cops as much as I do but works for them. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?  

Troubling, to say the least.

• Agree 1