g17owner

Pulled over in NJ while Carrying?

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

this is why i said i'll definitley inform them. if i get pulled over. and of course after i get my permit. i don't like the law, but as long as i can legally carry i'll go by it.

seperate question though........does this apply if one gets caught up in one of those spot checks that depts like gloucester twp like to do?

It's an interesting question. I imagine any legal stop would require it. Better off saying it and not having to worry about it. Hopefully someone smarter than me will answer that. 

• Agree 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, Ferris said:

You're correct , I re read the law , a carry permit isn't an exemption, I stand corrected. 

That said I  compelled disclosure of any information to law enforcement goes against the founding principles. Like I sa fid it's the law it's the law, and it may even make things go nicely but I am against forced disclosure.

Many have been arrested or life savings confiscated because they felt need or thought they were doing the right thing by disclosing information to the police.

actually,  the carry permit DOES exempt you from most of the laws on carrying handguns.  There are a LOT of things that you can now do if you have that permit...like carrying it LOADED is one of the main ones.

47 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

actually,  the carry permit DOES exempt you from most of the laws on carrying handguns.  There are a LOT of things that you can now do if you have that permit...like carrying it LOADED is one of the main ones.

To be clear, you're exempt from the carry rules for your carry gun.

If you're making a range trip carrying a pistol and bringing other guns, the other ones have to be stored/transported in accordance with existing rules (magazines/ammo separate from pistols, etc, etc).

On 2/17/2023 at 5:29 PM, RadioGunner said:

It’s absolutely true. It’s far more likely that non-LEO will encounter issues.

Okay, when I was working driving a Federally owned car with expired NJ registration and inspection, stopped a drunk driving checkpoint. I was told by a local police officer, "I'm going to tow this car".  I told him, bluntly, "You're not going to tow this car anywhere".

It didn't get towed and I went on my way.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this lengthy discussion, but the way the law is currently written, aren't we prohibited from carrying a gun in our car?  Doesn't it still need to be unloaded and stored away?  I guess this is a theoretical that assumes that this provision of the law will be overturned by the courts.

19 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Handing the cop your permit and notifying verbally covers covers all bases.

Many police are trained to warn other officers when they spot a firearm on someone to shout "gun".  Say firearm.  That's the word I use when I'm checking one in at the airport.

My understanding is that when this comes into effect, you must inform immediately upon contact with LEO. At a traffic stop, I'm going to have my hands at 10 and 2 until the officer has come to the window and has seen that I'm not a threat. 

What I will not be doing is rummaging around getting my wallet out to find my license and permit as the officer approaches my car.

Notification is what is called for, and then presentation of the permit upon request...and yes, phrasing to avoid the word GUN is highly advisable.

I've carried my wallet in my right hip pocket since Jr High.   I'm trying now to get used to it being in my left hip pocket, since right hip would put it too close to an IWB worn at 4 o'clock, if I'm asked for ID.

After I inform and I am asked for ID I tell the officer my wallet is in my back pocket my firearm is at my 5 o'clock once I've been asked to step out of car twice he just said ok no problem

5 minutes ago, 10X said:

I've carried my wallet in my right hip pocket since Jr High. I'm trying now to get used to it being in my left hip pocket, since right hip would put it too close to an IWB worn at 4 o'clock, if I'm asked for ID.

26 minutes ago, 10X said:

I've carried my wallet in my right hip pocket since Jr High.   I'm trying now to get used to it being in my left hip pocket, since right hip would put it too close to an IWB worn at 4 o'clock, if I'm asked for ID.

For the last several years I've been carrying my DL, reg, insurance card and a few bucks along with a few other credentials in a holder that is on a lanyard around my neck. This way, I don't have to reach for anything in the event of a vehicle stop. Its gotten so that I don't carry my wallet much anymore. After awhile it actually seems more convenient. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

My understanding is that when this comes into effect, you must inform immediately upon contact with LEO. At a traffic stop, I'm going to have my hands at 10 and 2 until the officer has come to the window and has seen that I'm not a threat. 

What I will not be doing is rummaging around getting my wallet out to find my license and permit as the officer approaches my car.

Notification is what is called for, and then presentation of the permit upon request...and yes, phrasing to avoid the word GUN is highly advisable.

When stopped I usually get my wallet out and put it on the dash.  I don't go for the registration and insurance card in the glove box.  The first thing I do is inform the officer.  The worst response I've had is "where is your firearm".  I tell the officer where and she responded, "if you have to go there, let me know first".  Most of the time we never got past me showing my license and I'd.

The worst thing I was ever stopped for was 92 in a 75.  Sounds bad but it's like 82 in a 65.  I drive the GSP often.  Many times the traffic is moving nicely at 80-85.  The trooper will stop the guy who has to do 90.

I got pulled over in a rental truck, Ohio 1987. Cop approached and the only words he said where "VISA o Mastercard". I replied VISA and that was it. No license, registration, rental papers and I was on my way $136 tacked onto the expense account. I was fine with this. Much better than getting jacked up in Cabo San Lucas, that could have gone real bad real fast but I stayed cool.

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:40 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I'll follow whatever laws are in place,  but if you watch other videos on this account,   you'll see alot of audits don't go quite so smoothly.  My brother is a cop and I come from a family of cops. I'm polite, follow the law, and move on.  

Unfortunately alot of the cops ive met don't think highly of ccw, but a few do. I've seen alot of this comes down to the town,  politics of it, etc.  

The best advice Is don't give them a reason to stop you to begin with.  

I agree 100% I've watched a lot of these audit videos and the LEOs are almost always wrong-making bad assumptions, over stepping their authority, making up laws,  etc.  That's why this one is so exceptional.

And yes, don't get stopped in the first place!

4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Sometimes it's unavoidable.

Agree, but 99% of my traffic stops have been because I committed infraction.  Unavoidable stops have usually involved unconstitutional (IMO) sobriety checks or CBP checkpoints.

7 hours ago, leahcim said:

Agree, but 99% of my traffic stops have been because I committed infraction.  Unavoidable stops have usually involved unconstitutional (IMO) sobriety checks or CBP checkpoints.

Okay, regarding your 1% of your stops.

Sobriety checkpoints have been ruled Constitutional by the Supreme Court.  If you believe in the COTUS, you have to accept sobriety checkpoints.

Border Patrol Checkpoints?  Long established as legal by SCOTUS.  Once again if you believe in the COTUS whether you like it or not.

I spent my career dealing with SCOTUS decisions. Whether I liked them or not.

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Okay, regarding your 1% of your stops.

Sobriety checkpoints have been ruled Constitutional by the Supreme Court.  If you believe in the COTUS, you have to accept sobriety checkpoints.

Border Patrol Checkpoints?  Long established as legal by SCOTUS.  Once again if you believe in the COTUS whether you like it or not.

I spent my career dealing with SCOTUS decisions. Whether I liked them or not.

I don't disagree that these decisions exist, I do disagree with the decisions.  But that's just my opinion.  And I think these checks just waste everyone's time.

BTW, The sobriety check points are unconstitutional in some states which have stronger constitutional protection of individual privacy and liberty, like my home state of Washington--as liberal as it is, still has a "State Constitution [that] also protects the privacy rights of individuals at home or in private affairs including in their vehicles"

Washington sobriety stops

"Fortunately for Washington residents, DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional. In the 1988 case City of Seattle v. Mesiani, the Washington State Supreme Court ruled that these roadblocks lack the particularized and individualized suspicion of criminal activity. This violates Article I, Section 7 of the Washington State Constitution. As a result, police in Washington do not have the authority to establish DUI checkpoints."

Okay, illegal in some states.  But SCOTUS upheld them.

Border Patrol Checkpoints.  Going back 50 years ago.  The 3 largest Mexican communities were Mexico City,  LA, and Chicago.  Today there are more illegals in LA than US citizens. That's the reason for Border Patrol checkpoints.

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

isn't there some law letting the border patrol set up checkpoints within 100 miles of of the border?

if there is, we all need to remember that pretty much anywhere in nj is fair game to them.......

Can't remember the distance from the border but 100 miles sounds correct.  USBP used to have (and still may have)  checkpoints well into the interior of the US.  They used to have checkpoints in Oklahoma on the highways that led into Chicago.

7 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Can't remember the distance from the border but 100 miles sounds correct.  USBP used to have (and still may have)  checkpoints well into the interior of the US.  They used to have checkpoints in Oklahoma on the highways that led into Chicago.

which essentially means that they've got free roam to set up checkpoints right at any of our bridges, or anwyehre else they feel like......

36 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

which essentially means that they've got free roam to set up checkpoints right at any of our bridges, or anwyehre else they feel like......

USBP checkpoints are set up on known smuggling routes.  I've been through many of them when I lived in Arizona.  Usually the only question asked of all the occupants is their nationality.  Now if someone speaks with a foreign accent that can establish probable cause for the officer to ask more questions.

When you enter the US legally, Immigration can be a two step process.  First,  you have to establish nationality.  If you're a US citizen you enter.  If not you have to prove admissibility.

15 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Okay, illegal in some states.  But SCOTUS upheld them.

Border Patrol Checkpoints.  Going back 50 years ago.  The 3 largest Mexican communities were Mexico City,  LA, and Chicago.  Today there are more illegals in LA than US citizens. That's the reason for Border Patrol checkpoints.

I only have seen them in AZ, I-8 coming out of Yuma.

Yeah, I understand the reason-essential liberty for temporary safety.  I'm sure most agents are putting they're lives on the line to protect our nation; And I think I'd support the CBP mission more if it weren't for the fact that the mission is undermined by almost every Democrat, including current POTUS, and failure to enforce existing laws and execute policy against illegals. As it is, those CBP checkpoints seem like they're basically for show.  How many illegal entries have CBP really prevented?

1 hour ago, leahcim said:

I only have seen them in AZ, I-8 coming out of Yuma.

Yeah, I understand the reason-essential liberty for temporary safety.  I'm sure most agents are putting they're lives on the line to protect our nation; And I think I'd support the CBP mission more if it weren't for the fact that the mission is undermined by almost every Democrat, including current POTUS, and failure to enforce existing laws and execute policy against illegals. As it is, those CBP checkpoints seem like they're basically for show.  How many illegal entries have CBP really prevented?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/329256/alien-apprehensions-registered-by-the-us-border-patrol/

You can look at the numbers of apprehensions and expulsions by clicking the link.  This is just the Border Patrol.   CBP Officers (used to be called inspectors)  also have expulsions not counted in these figures.

They give a figure of 2,200,000 for 2022. Most of these on Mexican border. That averages 110 for each of the approximately 20,000 Border Patrol Agents.  About 80% of those on the Mexican border. The rest are spread mostly over the Canadian border and Florida.

Keep in mind the administration has most of these USBP Agents processing and babysitting those illegals that enter through the ports of entry.

• Informative 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:19 AM, IhateNJ said:

Meh who cares? Concealed carry means concealed carry. I will not tell them. I'm not having my property "removed" for "their safety" nor am i stepping out of my car "for their safety" . Everything is about "their " safety and they are the biggest bunch of pussies in the world, everything scares them...from dogs to to window tint to the wrong color skin.  Enough is enough.  If I get stopped 

"Do you have any weapons on you"  My answer would be "I dont answer police questions without my lawyer
and i'm invoking the 5th from this point on" (This is where I wouldn't show my connection obviously) . 

For just a traffic stop any "reasonable" person would not have a reason to search just because I don't want to answer questions and with nothing more to go on should they search anyway and find it just
about any D- or better lawyer will have that thrown out for illegal search.  They cant hit me for "lying"
about the weapon as I refused to answer it. I cannot be compelled to testify against myself. 

I was out of state awhile back concealed carrying. Needed to get to an area that only a cop could
access so a LT gave me a ride to that spot and as i sat in the front seat I never said "hmm, now
would be a good time to tell this LT I have a .45 on my hip) The state had no duty to inform and
again concealed carry means just that. 

I said it before the idiot law and i'll saw it after. If i am stopped I will not answer that question. 

It's this attitude that causes issues a little common sense and courtesy go a long ways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, g17owner said:

Wondering if anyone yet has been pulled over in New Jersey, while carrying a weapon either openly or concealed.

Interested in the following:

1. Have you been pulled over while carrying?
  2. Did you inform?
  3. Did the officer know if you had a PTC?
  4. Did the officer ask if you had any weapons?
  5. Did the officer ask other related questions?
  6. What was the officer's demeanor? Aggressive, passive, concerned, etc?
  7. If you did inform the officer that you are armed, did you feel like it made you less likely or more likely to receive a ticket?
  8. Considering that many of us do not yet have our PTC, how do you think you might handle questions #1 and #2?

1 Yes

2 Yes

3 Not until I told him

4&5 He asked to see my permit and asked what I was carrying.
6 Pleasant

7 Less - no ticket

8 Given my past experience, I would inform

• Like 2
  • Informative 2