g17owner

Pulled over in NJ while Carrying?

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm figuring a lot of people are gonna get jammed up because of this. i kinda feel like they'll quietly link our ccw info to our drivers license, and will already know we've got a ccw........so when someone decides that they don't have to inform of the fact that they're carrying.......they're gonna get jammed up really bad.

That's probably the scam..... When you get arrest for it they'll offer you a plea of no jail time but you lose your gun rights . Of course since it's a felony it's loss of rights forever and everywhere. The state loves to disfranchise people this way.

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm figuring a lot of people are gonna get jammed up because of this. i kinda feel like they'll quietly link our ccw info to our drivers license, and will already know we've got a ccw........so when someone decides that they don't have to inform of the fact that they're carrying.......they're gonna get jammed up really bad.

Our LTC is linked to our DL..and we have a duty to inform. 

I don’t see why people make a big deal out of it. 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

because as you know all too well, we are in a severely anti-gun state. most police i know don't think that the rest of us should be allowed to carry. some do, most don't.

i personally will inform if i get pulled over, once i've got my ccw permit

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

I agree.  Let them know and we all go home.

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

The first problem is it's against the 5th amendment, we don't have to tattle on ourselves to the government nor it's enforcement arm. I'll concede there is some notion we have to bend to officer safety so let's put that debate aside.

The second and more importantly is it opens the door to gun inspection, don't think it'll happen? The one case that sticks out in my mind is the PTC security guard guy, got pulled over in Roselle park, disclosed he was carrying (I think he was coming home from work, so it was 100% within in limitations), but he got arrested anyway. Why? Because they inspected his weapon and decided that Hornady polymer tip bullets were actually hollow point. Of course after lawyers and stuff he got off , but the punishment is the process and cost.

https://nj1015.com/nj-prosecutors-drop-gun-charges-against-armed-security-guard/

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Ferris said:

The first problem is it's against the 5th amendment, we don't have to tattle on ourselves to the government nor it's enforcement arm. I'll concede there is some notion we have to bend to officer safety so let's put that debate aside.

The second and more importantly is it opens the door to gun inspection, don't think it'll happen? The one case that sticks out in my mind is the PTC security guard guy, got pulled over in Roselle park, disclosed he was carrying (I think he was coming home from work, so it was 100% within in limitations), but he got arrested anyway. Why? Because they inspected his weapon and decided that Hornady polymer tip bullets were actually hollow point. Of course after lawyers and stuff he got off , but the punishment is the process and cost.

https://nj1015.com/nj-prosecutors-drop-gun-charges-against-armed-security-guard/

You do you. 

My encounters with LEO (other than friends) are a rarity. 
And I have zero issue informing them that I am armed. 
I prefer there being no unpleasant surprises in the 1/100,000,000,000 chance he/she asks me to step out of my vehicle. 
Again, our LTC is tied to our DL, so I think they can safely presume if we have a LTC, we are carrying anyway. 

You might be surprised at the positive feedback I’ve heard from LEO about LTC holders. 

You do what you feel is right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

You do you. 

I prefer there being no unpleasant surprises in the 1/100,000,000,000 chance he/she asks me to step out of my vehicle. 
Again, our LTC is tied to our DL, so I think they can safely presume if we have a LTC, we are carrying anyway. 

You might be surprised at the positive feedback I’ve heard from LEO about LTC holders. 

I'm not saying not to  if it's the law you're risking jail time if you dont. The question is what's the problem with it and I answered that.  In NJ handguns are illegal and there are certain exemptions which makes being in possession ok. This shifts the onerous to prove innocence  to you and not the state to prove guilt. This also means there is enough RS and PC to investigate the crime of being in possession of a handgun. Which you just admitted to by informing.  I understand the nuances of NJ law is of little concern and Texas might actually respect your rights and I'm happy for you but in NJ this is what we face and why duty to inform can be a problem.

People are under the impression that by being law abiding and telling the government everything  they want to know   means  interactions will always go well and that is far from true.

12 minutes ago, Ferris said:

I'm not saying not to  if it's the law you're risking jail time if you dont. The question is what's the problem with it and I answered that.  In NJ handguns are illegal and there are certain exemptions which makes being in possession ok. This shifts the onerous to prove innocence  to you and not the state to prove guilt. This also means there is enough RS and PC to investigate the crime of being in possession of a handgun. Which you just admitted to by informing.  I understand the nuances of NJ law is of little concern and Texas might actually respect your rights and I'm happy for you but in NJ this is what we face and why duty to inform can be a problem.

People are under the impression that by being law abiding and telling the government everything  they want to know   means  interactions will always go well and that is far from true.

So if you inform and show the police your permit, what's the issue?

If you inform and show your permit there is no RS or PC.

9 minutes ago, Ferris said:

You forget, I lived in NJ until 18 months ago…

Your premise is flawed. 
Handguns are NOT illegal in NJ. 
It is no longer a crime in NJ to be carrying a handgun in NJ if you have a LTC and are the legal owner, following the rules. 
I will grant you that some of the rules are still in flux…but Judge Bumb seems to be on the correct side of this. 

At the moment, your permit to carry may not be tied to your DL or license plate, but it soon will be. 

I do not see a down side to telling an officer during a traffic stop that, Sir(ma’am), I have a license to carry a handgun, and I am currently lawfully carrying my weapon’…

That may save you from having a really bad day. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

You forget, I lived in NJ until 18 months ago…

Your premise is flawed. 
Handguns are NOT illegal in NJ. 
It is no longer a crime in NJ to be carrying a handgun in NJ if you have a LTC and are the legal owner, following the rules. 
I will grant you that some of the rules are still in flux…but Judge Bumb seems to be on the correct side of this. 

At the moment, your permit to carry may not be tied to your DL or license plate, but it soon will be. 

I do not see a down side to telling an officer during a traffic stop that, Sir(ma’am), I have a license to carry a handgun, and I am currently lawfully carrying my weapon’…

That may save you from having a really bad day. 

You're correct , I re read the law , a carry permit isn't an exemption, I stand corrected. 

That said I  compelled disclosure of any information to law enforcement goes against the founding principles. Like I sa fid it's the law it's the law, and it may even make things go nicely but I am against forced disclosure.

Many have been arrested or life savings confiscated because they felt need or thought they were doing the right thing by disclosing information to the police.

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

because as you know all too well, we are in a severely anti-gun state. most police i know don't think that the rest of us should be allowed to carry. some do, most don't.

i personally will inform if i get pulled over, once i've got my ccw permit

When a new law goes into effect police are  trained in regards to enforcing it.  Most cops are of the attitude tell me the new law and I'll abide by it.

Can anyone with a ccw in NJ provide an instance where they were jacked up by police because they were carrying with a ccw?  I'm not asking for a my bils cousin's next door neighbor's friend story.  I will take 2nd hand.

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

You do you. 

gotta remember tholugh....you're in free America now. we're still behind the iron curtain

• Agree 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:53 PM, leahcim said:

I think this shows a pretty good interaction.  Pulled over for expired registration.  Things could have gone badly if the LEOs freaked out. But everyone stayed calm and polite, ended well.

I'll follow whatever laws are in place,  but if you watch other videos on this account,   you'll see alot of audits don't go quite so smoothly.  My brother is a cop and I come from a family of cops. I'm polite, follow the law, and move on.  

Unfortunately alot of the cops ive met don't think highly of ccw, but a few do. I've seen alot of this comes down to the town,  politics of it, etc.  

The best advice Is don't give them a reason to stop you to begin with.  

• Agree 4

All firearm possession in New Jersey is illegal and possession becomes legal through exemptions. Here is an article, that explains it, along with specific statutes. The carry permit is an exemption to the ban on firearm possession.

https://www.news2a.com/new-jersey-bans-all-firearm-possession/

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

kinda feel like they'll quietly link our ccw info to our drivers license, and will already know we've got a ccw.......

Yeah, I could see that happening at some point.

"Duty to inform" or face a possible felony charge, thats one more reason I won't be applying for a CCW anytime soon. 

In N.J. I figure my risks of somehow getting arrested while carrying or using a CCW in a defensive situation outweigh the benefits.

Thats how Anarcho-Tyranny works. 

18 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Yeah, I could see that happening at some point.

"Duty to inform", thats one more reason I won't be applying for a CCW anytime soon. 

In N.J. I figure my risks of somehow getting arrested while carrying or using a CCW in a defensive situation outweigh the benefits.

My personal opinion is that is a stupid reason not to get a LTC. 

Let me rephrase this…if you are going to carry a firearm WITHOUT a LTC in NJ, you are an idiot. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, g17owner said:

All firearm possession in New Jersey is illegal and possession becomes legal through exemptions. Here is an article, that explains it, along with specific statutes. The carry permit is an exemption to the ban on firearm possession.

https://www.news2a.com/new-jersey-bans-all-firearm-possession/

i've been saying this for YEARS......just reading the statutes makes it clear. all firearms are illegal with exceptions and exemptions. which of course is how our illegal laws should be fought. the whole house of cards would fall.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Bomber said:

"Duty to inform" or face a possible felony charge, thats one more reason I won't be applying for a CCW anytime soon. 

Trying to figure out where you are going with this. 

Are you planning on (A) not applying and not carrying, end of story,

or, (B) not applying but carrying illegally as an anarchist?

If your intention is the former, One has to wonder why you have spent so much time and energy discussing an issue that you have no skin in.  It seems a foolish waste of time, unless there is another motive.

• FacePalm 1

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If your intention is the former, One has to wonder why you have spent so much time and energy discussing an issue that you have no skin in.  It seems a foolish waste of time, unless there is another motive.

This was my point. 

Alot of the "badasses" on here will be the statistics they use against legal gun owners in the future. 

"You can beat the charge but you don't always beat the ride"

Don't get arrested because you're not following the laws. Put money in gun rights groups, follow politics, vote, etc. 

In before "but nj is the worst blah blah blah."  We finally have ccw. Don't ruin it because you need to flex. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bomber said:

Which, at the end of the day, carrying pepper spray, a Byrna or a Taser, lowers the level of legal issues you might encounter, yet will give you some self-defense protection. Just getting a CCW in NJ today, just so you can say you got it, is playing Russian Roulette with all the gray legal areas being punted around the past few months.

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Alot of the "badasses" on here will be the statistics they use against legal gun owners in the future. 

"You can beat the charge but you don't always beat the ride"

Don't get arrested because you're not following the laws. Put money in gun rights groups, follow politics, vote, etc. 

In before "but nj is the worst blah blah blah."  We finally have ccw. Don't ruin it because you need to flex. 

this is why i said i'll definitley inform them. if i get pulled over. and of course after i get my permit. i don't like the law, but as long as i can legally carry i'll go by it.

seperate question though........does this apply if one gets caught up in one of those spot checks that depts like gloucester twp like to do?

5 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

LOL have you guys been drinking?

No, I don't plan to apply for CCW anytime soon because of the many bear traps N.J. is laying out for CCW holders nor would I carry illegally.

Just my personal choice as of now but I admire those willing to go through the process to get a CCW.

Anarcho-Tyranny is where laws are strictly applied to honest citizens (CCW holders) while dangerous criminals and mobs are allowed to run amok i.e. no cash bail laws, 2020 riots in democrat controlled states, Kyle Rittenhouse, just to name a few examples.      

• Agree 1

Looking for opinions as to whether handing the police officer your carry license along with your DL, reg & insurance card during a traffic stop satisfies the "duty to inform" requirement. I've read advice from multiple sources (Ayoob...etc) to avoid using the word "gun" if informing verbally.

Also, the way I read the new law (IANAL), if/when it goes into effect, if you have a NJ carry license, you have to inform them that you are transporting guns the old fashioned way (e.g. locked in the trunk) even if you are not "strapped". That is more stringent then required if you don't have a carry license. Am I interpreting that correctly?

1 hour ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

Looking for opinions as to whether handing the police officer your carry license along with your DL, reg & insurance card during a traffic stop satisfies the "duty to inform" requirement. I've read advice from multiple sources (Ayoob...etc) to avoid using the word "gun" if informing verbally

Handing the cop your permit and notifying verbally covers covers all bases.

Many police are trained to warn other officers when they spot a firearm on someone to shout "gun".  Say firearm.  That's the word I use when I'm checking one in at the airport.

3 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

Looking for opinions as to whether handing the police officer your carry license along with your DL, reg & insurance card during a traffic stop satisfies the "duty to inform" requirement. I've read advice from multiple sources (Ayoob...etc) to avoid using the word "gun" if informing verbally.

Also, the way I read the new law (IANAL), if/when it goes into effect, if you have a NJ carry license, you have to inform them that you are transporting guns the old fashioned way (e.g. locked in the trunk) even if you are not "strapped". That is more stringent then required if you don't have a carry license. Am I interpreting that correctly?

i personally will hand them my permit, and inform them "i have a firearm<insert location here>. i feel that if i hand permit and don't say anything, it leaves me possibly liable, and the same if i tell them, but don't hand the permit. if i do both, it should be visually and audibly on body cam. and it will be both on my dash cam.

• Agree 1