jm1827

Using a video camera to zoom in on a scale

I have seen reloaders using video cameras hooked up to their laptop to zoom in on the zero pointer of their balance beam.  I am thinking about giving this a try, I did a quick experiment with just my phone, and it made it much easier to see the pointer. 

Has anyone else tried this and if so, is there a camera that you recommend?

Thanks!

I drilled a small hole in all of my Loadmasters to show the powder charge is there.  I used a wi fi endoscope with integral LED's.  It works so good.  I have it outputting to an old verizon tablet sitting on a stand.

I’ve not tried it, but it will be hard to beat using your phone, from a simplicity and cost perspective.   Make a simple stand for it, set the screen to not lock for an appropriately long period, and either use the camera function, or on an iPhone, the zoom feature which also magnifies whatever you point the camera at.  

Although, ever since I got an inexpensive digital reloading scale, the only time I use my balance beam scale is for an occasional cross-check of the digital wonder. 

43 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I also feel that seeing the scale pointer is not as important as seeing the powder drop.  Just my 2 cents.

Agreed.  I like your solution for that.  I mostly load rifle on a single stage press, so I can line up the cases in a loading block and check powder levels with a flashlight, but when I do use the progressive press I miss having the powder check capability. 

8 hours ago, Ferris said:

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Why not just make the scale eye level?  I guess if you eye sight problems this make some sense. Give it a try and see,  whatever process works best for you is what you should do. 

This is my second option, bringing the scale up to eye level and making the platform large enough for a powder trickler.  I think the camera option might be easier.  

This will only be for rifle loads that I do on my single stage, I have a powder cop for my progressive that I use for my pistol loads.

8 hours ago, jm1827 said:

This is my second option, bringing the scale up to eye level and making the platform large enough for a powder trickler.  I think the camera option might be easier.  

This will only be for rifle loads that I do on my single stage, I have a powder cop for my progressive that I use for my pistol loads.

Do whatever works, it's worth trying by all means. I personally found moving the scale made it easier. Then again I like reloading since it involves no technology, I get to escape the electronics for a bit :)

• Like 1