adrianalindgren

What are the pros and cons of the Ugly Stik GX2?

I purchased this one at Walmart end of Spring. I don't remember if it's the 6'6" medium or medium heavy. I am in no way an experience angler so I really can't tell you man pro's/con's. I can tell you that besides having to retighten the handle on the reel once I've had no issues with it and I have not been gentle. I'd say a pretty decent bargain for someone looking to go fishing here and there on the cheap.

I have 2 of these.  1 for me as my primary rod and 1 for my kids to share.  The only issue that I have is that the older one gets a "jammed up" spool every 8 casts or so.  The line pinches in the bail and it requires a 2 hand correction.  Worth the money?  Yes.  It's never gonna be a high-end rod, but it catches fish just fine.

• Like 1

Let us know if you tried it out. I'm gonna go try to go fishing Tuesday if it's nice enough. Next season I want to get the Walmart baitcaster combo they have for like $65. I'll find a link for ya if you're interested. 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:13 PM, adrianalindgren said:

I’ve been looking for a new, cheap rod and this one popped out at me. So, people that have one, what are the pros and cons.

I am getting back into bass fishing after a 30 year hiatus, and I bought an Ugly Stick GX2 casting rod. 
Paired it with a Lews Lazer MG baitcast reel. 5 1/2’ rod, medium action. 

It’s turned out to be a great combination for the type of fishing I do. Crank baits and plastic worms, mostly. 

I’ve been happy with it, and will buy a second one to build an identical second rod. 

IMG_7968.jpeg

IMG_7922.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Apparently not everything is bigger in Texas.  :icon_lol:

Lol. 

I fish in a small golf course pond in our community that is stocked. I have taken a 5 pound bass out of it, but 2 pound bass are normal here. On relatively light tackle, they are a lot of fun. 

Lake Georgetown down the road has some big bass in it, but I usually don’t get the time to go out there. It’s not as friendly for bank fishermen like me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Lol. 

I fish in a small golf course pond in our community that is stocked. I have taken a 5 pound bass out of it, but 2 pound bass are normal here. On relatively light tackle, they are a lot of fun. 

Lake Georgetown down the road has some big bass in it, but I usually don’t get the time to go out there. It’s not as friendly for bank fishermen like me. 

Just busting balls.  I've got some friends in various parts of Texas.  Some of the fish that they've caught and sent me pictures of would pretty much eat the fish that I catch here.  :icon_lol:

• Haha 1

I know! Lol

We ARE fortunate in Texas to have some amazing bass lakes. Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn, Lake Travis…all of them pull some very large bass on the regular. Locally, a guy caught a 10lb largemouth on Lake Georgetown, and I hear that’s not uncommon. 
Need a boat, though. 

I’m just a bank fisherman, and a hobbyist at that. Just catching fish, big or small, is a blast to me!