maintenanceguy

Permits thrugh NJSP?

Have any permits been issued through the NJSP yet?  I haven't seen anyone post here, facebook pages, or reddit that they received a permit and applied through the state police.

My permit has been in for 2 months and I haven't heard a thing from them.  The trooper at my local barracks who handles firearm permits has always been really good to work with.  Always responsive, answers phone calls and emails, keeps me informed of the process, and has generally been helpful.  I emailed him twice in the last month and no reply.  Wondering if he's just overworked or if a directive not to answer questions went out.

Anybody have any insight into what's happening with permits submitted to NJSP?

I did post in the monster thread that I have my permit. I applied through NJSP Washington.

County: Hunterdon

Fingerprinted: 6/30 - Easton, PA

Applied via: NJSP Washington 6/30

Approved by NJSP Washington: Approx 8/9

Approved by NJSP FIU: 8/15

Received by court: 8/18

Docketed by court: 8/19

Approved by court: 9/14

Received by NJSP FIU: 9/16

Sent from NJSP FIU to NJSP Sussex (by mistake): 9/16

Located at NJSP Sussex: 9/27

Delivered to NJSP Washington: 9/28

Picked up by me: 9/29

Letter to court to add more (all remaining) handguns: 10/6

Addition of handguns accepted by court: 10/6

Unless I get any more handguns, I'm all set until renewal time and can possess any handgun I own right now, although I'll wait until I get the officially stamped receipt from the court before carrying anything that wasn't on my original court order.

ETA: Mine was one of the one of first that NJSP Washington handled, and the first 1 they received back as approved, I was told. I was also told that mine was one of the first 10 that NJSP FIU handled that was approved anywhere in the State.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, samiam said:

All credit to you for getting your permit. You were a pioneer, though: 7 days after Bruen, 6 days after Platkin's "clarification" memo. It is possible you "slipped through the cracks" before NJSP had formulated a strategy to deal with applications. I'd really like to see 2 or 3 more, especially from applicants who submitted in July. That is the minimum it would take to assure me that NJSP is actually processing applications in good faith, and not stonewalling everything that comes through them...

I would have submitted sooner, but they changed the form the morning of the day I was going to submit it. It took me another couple of days to collect my references' signatures again.

I did have a conversation with a DSFC in the FIU and I feel we had a very frank discussion. He was not happy about delays, but explained that the FIU only has 7 staff to cover the entire State. Since Bruen, the volume of calls and emails has skyrocketed and they have been given no more staff to handle the huge amount of additional work. He did say that it was important for people to apply because without exercising the system, the pitfalls and problems would not be identified and therefore never fixed.

One of the reasons I submitted early is that I suspected that TPTB would soon start making up new rules to make the process harder.

At each step I made contact with the people handling my permit and have had nothing but cooperation. This includes NJSP Washington, NJSP FIU and the Hunterdon Superior Court.

The mistake on where my approved permit was sent was just a simple screw up. I used to get my permits through Sussex, but then I moved and now I'm under Washington. I suspect something wasn't updated in my file at the FIU properly which resulted in the mistake. Stuff happens. It doesn't mean it is endemic unless it becomes apparent there is a pattern of screwing up.

Yes. I got one from Sussex NJSP. Qualified at GFH, applied 7/11, permit received 10/07 and issue date is 8/15. So it's stale dated 2 months. No idea why.

NJSP sussex was pretty good. The court on the other hand stumbled and delayed. I'm glad I have it now but I have to qualify with the rest of my carry guns (3 more of them).

Carrying in NJ is a strange but surprisingly underwhelming experience except for disarming before going to sensitive places which is a pain in the ass. But it sure beats 4 years in state's prison. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:58 AM, maintenanceguy said:

Have any permits been issued through the NJSP yet?  I haven't seen anyone post here, facebook pages, or reddit that they received a permit and applied through the state police.

My permit has been in for 2 months and I haven't heard a thing from them.  The trooper at my local barracks who handles firearm permits has always been really good to work with.  Always responsive, answers phone calls and emails, keeps me informed of the process, and has generally been helpful.  I emailed him twice in the last month and no reply.  Wondering if he's just overworked or if a directive not to answer questions went out.

Anybody have any insight into what's happening with permits submitted to NJSP?

I've been hearing Bridgeton barracks is pretty good but haven't actually seen one. Lots of guys come through my shop that have the permit now and are always proud to show it. I'm going to get started pretty soon I have to wait a few more weeks for my 30 day wait for a carry gun. 

If you haven't heard I have a home based FFL in Elmer now. I'm the absolutely cheapest place to buy firearms in the state. Give me a call for your next gun 856-364-1031 

1 hour ago, louu said:

If you haven't heard I have a home based FFL in Elmer now. I'm the absolutely cheapest place to buy firearms in the state. Give me a call for your next gun 856-364-1031 

Nice. I will put in for some permits. 

An update on my permit through NJSP Bridgeton.   I haven't received the permit yet but have the first indication that something is happening.   The timeline:

• 8/5 - application submitted
  • 8/6 - Day 0 - fingerprints completed in PA
  • 9/5 - Day 30 - emailed trooper to confirm prints had been received.  There were rumors online that out-of-state prints weren't making it to NJSP.  No reply to email - which is not typical for this trooper.  He's always been very helpful in the past.
  • 9/17 - Day 42 - emailed trooper again to confirm prints were received.  No reply
  • 10/18 - Day 73 - my references received a phone call.  Trooper said he was doing background checks "as the last step" or "to finish up" my application.  Not sure of his exact language.

I still haven't heard of any permits coming out of NJSP since the very beginning of this.  I know they get sent to Trenton next.  Don't know if Trenton is under orders to just sit on them indefinitely or if they start to move toward the court now.

33 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

I still haven't heard of any permits coming out of NJSP since the very beginning of this.  I know they get sent to Trenton next.  Don't know if Trenton is under orders to just sit on them indefinitely or if they start to move toward the court now.

Both @RadioGunnerand I have posted that we have received permits through NJSP. 

4 minutes ago, samiam said:

@Mr Stu was very early, @radiogunner not that long ago. So apparently, some are trickling through. However, some stations may not be processing. I applied through Woodbine station, and Cape May County Vicinage of Superior Court told me they have only had 6 from Woodbine total, and currently have none in hand (as of last week). Looks like YMMVG (your mileage may vary greatly), depending on where you live.

Mine was applied for on July 11. So it was pretty early on. 

SP Sussex is pretty good. They have a new Sgt there who is on the ball. 

20 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

Troopers are actually making phone calls to the references on the app?

How were you able to get updates when the app was traveling through the court system?

Yes, they are. 

I called the court to get status updates