Mike77

How Many EDCs Do/Would You Have?

Take NJs rules/laws out of equation, How many different EDCs would you, or do you have, and what kind?

I see some videos, where people have 5-10 different guns, they rotate, which seems a little extreme. 

As of now, I have an Springfield XD9, and SW M&P Shield 9plus. I feel nice combo, depending on weather. I can comfortably have both OWB.

I was thinking of the Ruger Max 380 to round things out......So I could have 3 different sizes, for different situations. 

Obviously, I'd elect for a slung MP5K.  Or two.  Or go full Matrix, two 92FS, two micro Uzis, aforementioned MP5K(s), two Skorpions

I have three now I'd consider based on size/weight - LC9S Pro, Glock 23 G4, and Sig Pro 2022.  I'd consider adding something like a Glock 43X, a Sig 365 variant, likely XL, or possibly a Sig P320 subcompact variant.  Probably plenty of others I'd briefly consider, like a P228/M11, P239, P225, P229/M11A1, etc, but weight, capacity, and/or size would likely rule a number out for serious EDC.  I've carried a P226 and 1911 and they can get a bit annoying when lighter/smaller alternatives are available.

Is a 1911 still a BBQ gun if it doesn't have a fancy leather holster?

I have three I qualified with, Shield Plus 9, Bersa Thunder .380 and Ruger LCPII .380. I would have preferred my XDS9 over the Bersa but it had not arrived prior to my qualifying. Ocean County restricts me to the three for now, hopefully the "Letter" will be overturned soon. If it is my XDS and recently purchased XD 9 Subcompact will be added. The Shield Plus is my EDC unless some problem arises.

The classic advice is one gun, one place, all the time.  Obviously, one can deviate from that. I carry a Springfield XD 9 mm subcompact when I 'm in Florida, and plan to do the same here. I have considered carrying my Glock 19, but to date have never done so.

I qualified with my P365 & P365XL. Still working out holster and carry position. I go by the two is one, one is none belief system. I probably should have taken my Shield also, but did not. At this point I would only wish to carry the Shield if neither SIG was available. 

XD-S Mod.2 OSP for AIWB carry in warmer months.  If NJ lifts the mag ban, I may consider a double stack of similar size, but I really like the thickness and grip safety of the XD-S for AIWB carry.  For winter months, I'm considering getting a Shadow Systems MR920 (G19 size) and carry at 3oclock.    

On 10/7/2022 at 9:09 PM, Mike77 said:

I see some videos, where people have 5-10 different guns, they rotate, which seems a little extreme. 

Can anyone explain why you would rotate guns?  I can see changing it up for weather or something that works better with what you are wearing.  But it sounds like people are changing it up out of boredom?  

2 hours ago, ESB said:

Can anyone explain why you would rotate guns?  I can see changing it up for weather or something that works better with what you are wearing.  But it sounds like people are changing it up out of boredom?  

It's clothing. My clothing doesn’t conceal large guns well but there are times I will be able to carry a gun with larger capacity and I would want to do that. Or sometimes I’ll be walking in the woods or outdoors and want to open carry. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:54 AM, Malice4you said:

Obviously, I'd elect for a slung MP5K.  Or two.  Or go full Matrix, two 92FS, two micro Uzis, aforementioned MP5K(s), two Skorpions

I have three now I'd consider based on size/weight - LC9S Pro, Glock 23 G4, and Sig Pro 2022.  I'd consider adding something like a Glock 43X, a Sig 365 variant, likely XL, or possibly a Sig P320 subcompact variant.  Probably plenty of others I'd briefly consider, like a P228/M11, P239, P225, P229/M11A1, etc, but weight, capacity, and/or size would likely rule a number out for serious EDC.  I've carried a P226 and 1911 and they can get a bit annoying when lighter/smaller alternatives are available.

Is a 1911 still a BBQ gun if it doesn't have a fancy leather holster?

I learned real fast that carrying guns all day is not fun once the initial novelty of doing so wears off. I went from an Sig P229 and Officer Sized 1911 to a few .380s like the Colt Mustang and Ruger LCP but mostly my Sig P365 and lots of snub nose revolvers to carry in my pocket. Funny that out of all the guns I owned and I owned over 70 that I bought and sold in the last 12 years, the pocket guns twice saved my bacon when I would not have worn a big gun that day. People really do not care what caliber or size gun you have. They do not want to be shot and I still not have run into the drug crazed guy they all talk about who can absorb shot after shot. Maybe I do not go to places where they hang out. :) I am now 71. Most of us in my retirement community of almost 150,000 seniors, start off with hip holster carry and end up with occasional pocket  carry.  No one has been murdered here since the 70's and the was an LEO couple who shot each other at their home. We have tourist visiting here and no outsiders can even find us in the maze we live in that covers 4 counties.  Most others go decades with never even having to think about using the gun they are carrying and so they carry less and less and smaller and smaller when they do. Let's face it, most of us do not even know anyone who would have lived had they had a concealed gun. 

• Like 1

Currently, I have my S&W Shield 9 plus, with a Tulster Contour......seems to be my go to...once I get my damn CCW. Also looking at a Ruger LCP Max 380, for formal and backup. MY springfield XD9 might stay as home defense, or with extra layers to hide it. 

On 12/12/2022 at 2:56 PM, Old Dog said:

I learned real fast that carrying guns all day is not fun once the initial novelty of doing so wears off. I went from an Sig P229 and Officer Sized 1911 to a few .380s like the Colt Mustang and Ruger LCP but mostly my Sig P365 and lots of snub nose revolvers to carry in my pocket. Funny that out of all the guns I owned and I owned over 70 that I bought and sold in the last 12 years, the pocket guns twice saved my bacon when I would not have worn a big gun that day. People really do not care what caliber or size gun you have. They do not want to be shot and I still not have run into the drug crazed guy they all talk about who can absorb shot after shot. Maybe I do not go to places where they hang out. :) I am now 71. Most of us in my retirement community of almost 150,000 seniors, start off with hip holster carry and end up with occasional pocket  carry.  No one has been murdered here since the 70's and the was an LEO couple who shot each other at their home. We have tourist visiting here and no outsiders can even find us in the maze we live in that covers 4 counties.  Most others go decades with never even having to think about using the gun they are carrying and so they carry less and less and smaller and smaller when they do. Let's face it, most of us do not even know anyone who would have lived had they had a concealed gun. 

When I'm down here in the winter I started pocket carrying my Glock 42 and never looked back.  Today I pocket carry a Sig P365 in cargo shorts.  If its a cold day than I might switch to either a glock, or HK  with an OWB and a larger shirt to cover. I love Florida too. 

On 10/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, RadioGunner said:

Given that NJ is only 10 rounds, I would only carry my XD-S and Hellcat. Now if we get the mag ban lifted I may be looking for a 17 round Glock G17. But not for everyday carry. Just occasionally.

it is 3 years since stupid 10 rounds ban, why anyone still thinking it will not stay? I would worry if they would ask for less than 10 at this point.

13 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

it is 3 years since stupid 10 rounds ban, why anyone still thinking it will not stay? I would worry if they would ask for less than 10 at this point.

In that 3 years we had the bruen decision, which only happened last year. 

4 hours ago, leo-польд said:

Actually 4-1/2 years, but who's counting. Signed in mid 2018.

I was able to qualify with 4 firearms. But it seems we no longer have to qualify with what we carry. But the 4 I qualified with I had specific reasoning. MY ruger lc380 as everyday carry with crossbreed super tuck at 5 o'clock it's not noticeable at all. My para ordinance 1911 45 is my colder weather carry while with a we the people holster and claw I can carry in a tee shirt without it being noticeable certain movements does expose it so perfer a sweat shirt. S&w sd 40(first gun) will be my carry for on the ocean fishing or wade fishing rivers or the bay. Lastly ria 10mm mostly for out of state but do venture north on occasion so it's intended for bear protection. Now that we can carry any thing if mag capacity is struck down my springfield xdm 9mm will probly become every day. And for pocket carry I have a taurus ultra lite in 38sp

16 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

I was able to qualify with 4 firearms. But it seems we no longer have to qualify with what we carry. But the 4 I qualified with I had specific reasoning. MY ruger lc380 as everyday carry with crossbreed super tuck at 5 o'clock it's not noticeable at all. My para ordinance 1911 45 is my colder weather carry while with a we the people holster and claw I can carry in a tee shirt without it being noticeable certain movements does expose it so perfer a sweat shirt. S&w sd 40(first gun) will be my carry for on the ocean fishing or wade fishing rivers or the bay. Lastly ria 10mm mostly for out of state but do venture north on occasion so it's intended for bear protection. Now that we can carry any thing if mag capacity is struck down my springfield xdm 9mm will probly become every day. And for pocket carry I have a taurus ultra lite in 38sp

How do you like the LCP? Which one do you have? I was thinking of getting the LCP Max 380. I already have a shield 9 plus, and XD9 (3.1" & 4")