ESB

When to carry

I'm getting my CCW just to have for when I travel and wasn't planning on EDC.  

This story of a CCW who got shot at a BBQ in Arizona and then took out the bad guy, saving his wife and kids among others, has me contemplating EDC more, but still undecided.  Story starts at 7:05.

This Armed Citizen Stopped A Mass Shooting & The Main Stream Media Didn't Want To Cover It - CNP 18 - YouTube

Do you pick and choose when to wear your seatbelt?

That said, I essentially never leave home without it (lone exception is walking the dog around my block but I should probably have it then too - I at least always carry pepper spray with me).

If I am going somewhere I am prohibited from carrying, i just leave it in the car.

48 minutes ago, samiam said:

why strap on the gun to drive a short distance to some prohibited venue that would require it be moved to locked storage in the car, then taken out and reholstered for the return trip home?

You never really know. Plans and circumstance change.

That's why I find this plus this incredibly convenient. I never leave it in there over night. During the day, unless I am going to be out of my vehicle for an extended period and it's out of my sight, I don't necessarily place it in additional locked storage in the car.  In this case it's hidden out of view and my car is parked in a safe pace and locked, extremely low risk of a break-in.  Of course, YMMV.

FWIW, in South Carolina everyone who is of age is allowed to "carry" a handgun in their vehicle, no permit required.  "Without a permit the firearm must be secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment."  I can only imagine the number of handguns out there floating around in cars.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, GlockityGlockGlock said:

you cant predict when you'll need it.

Just look at heat happened outside congressman Lee Zeldin's house in Long Island. Nice neighborhood, has a shooting. That could be any day in any nice neighborhood we live in.

Think Someone wrote a while back that don't carry around neighborhood but in the house?

I don't get that.

I didn't start the process yet, but plan to.

30 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Just look at heat happened outside congressman Lee Zeldin's house in Long Island. Nice neighborhood, has a shooting. That could be any day in any nice neighborhood we live in.

Think Someone wrote a while back that don't carry around neighborhood but in the house?

I don't get that.

I didn't start the process yet, but plan to.

I think it's fine if people want to carry "everywhere", but I reject the notion that suddenly because the SC gave us the Bruen decision that every place is now a potential shootout waiting to happen.

I chose to live where I do because it's safe.  There are no shootings, murders, or violent crimes here (and in my lifetime there never have been), so there's absolutely no reason for me to carry when I'm walking the dog.  You can play any "what if" game you'd like, but i'm statistically more likely to get hit by lightening in this town than am I am to get hit by a bullet.

I don't live my life in fear. 

There are places i go that i'll absolutely carry, but there are many that i won't.  I've survived this long without the option to carry, so IMO I'm adding a new measure of security when needed.

Carry if you want, but don't pretend that we're somehow being negligent if we don't.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Carry if you want, but don't pretend that we're somehow being negligent if we don't.

I don't think anyone is negligent if they choose to or not.

I'm in agreement with you, I might have come across different.

i just meant it could possibly happen anywhere, also might never happen.

My question was (for whoever said it) why carry in the home, but not in the neighborhood. I'm just trying to understand it.

Is it safer outside than inside?

• Like 1

I'm carrying pretty much everywhere because I don't want to keep putting it on and taking it off.

I'm fully aware that the likelihood of needing it is exceedingly low, but if I do need it, I'll be mighty glad I had it.

Similarly, I have a spare tire that goes everywhere with me when I'm driving. I don't just load it up when I'm heading somewhere with crappy roads with lots of pot holes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've pretty much carried everywhere it was legal for nearly 50 years.  When I was on the job it was basically unlimited.  There were about 4 times in almost 50 years I was challenged by another LEO about carrying..  NO PROBLEMS.

There were 5 times I volunteered I was carrying in 4 different states.  NO PROBLEMS.

Remember in most Constitutional Carry states the police dont care where youre from.  The worst i had after informing was the trooper telling me, "okay, if youre going to reach over there let me know:

Most of the time I carry according to the perceived threat.  There are (few) tines I'll carry a 22 or 25 Beretta.  Most of my travels I carry a S&W Bodyguard 380.  Sometimes a 32 S&W Long (adequate penetration and much easier to control), or a 38 spl J frame.with factory 148 hbwc.  Sometimes my James Bond pre-68 PPK in 32 ACP.  Sometimes a 2 1/2" Model 66 S&W. 

I always had the philosophy since I retired that I usually would have a confrontation where I had to get the BG off of me.  I'm confident I can do this with smaller guns.

Going to Newark, Philly, NYC?  I'll carry a G19 or Beretta 92 and a backup.  I always carried a backup when I was working.

Sounds like a lot of different guns but I'm proficient with all of them.  I can shoot a qual score on the HQC with a 22 or 25 Beretta

I don't carry when I cut my grass or am working outside.  I live in about a zero crime neighborhood.  I don't carry in my house.  I have loaded firearms strategically placed. I live alone, no kids, and anyone who comes into my house is fully qualified to handle them or knows not to touch them.

There are shotguns (hate the term shotties) and rifles readily available.

As a very accomplished member on this forum said you really don't know how you'll do until you see the elephant.

That goes back to the 60s.

But WTF do I know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

I don't think anyone is negligent if they choose to or not.

I'm in agreement with you, I might have come across different.

i just meant it could possibly happen anywhere, also might never happen.

My question was (for whoever said it) why carry in the home, but not in the neighborhood. I'm just trying to understand it.

Is it safer outside than inside?

Got it.

My reading comprehension is off sometimes!

For what it's worth, I've been carrying in my house recently, but just to get used to it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I reject the notion that suddenly because the SC gave us the Bruen decision that every place is now a potential shootout waiting to happen.

I don't live my life in fear.

I reject that notion as well. Every place was/is a potential shootout prior to Bruen.. Bruen changed nothing. 

Carrying a firearm doesn't mean you live in fear, it means you live prepared and ready to defend yourself. 

I too, chose my home location due to being rated one of the safest towns in the country. Yet, that doesn't stop criminals from over 40 miles away coming to victimize us. Criminals are not cemented in their communities, and the last 15 years they have sought targets in these "safe" communities. 

A guy in Glen Rock was beaten and robbed over a lottery ticket just this year. He drove a short distance from his home to a convenience store. A town that is arguably one where people would think this could never happen.

Being prepared for the unexpected doesn't mean youre living in fear, it means you are living in a reality that you can't control these things. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

You can’t make an appointment to have an emergency. It’s not something you can schedule - and you don’t get a vote as to where or when you are going to be a victim. That decision is up to predators. About all you can do is to make some choices that lower your chances of being a target, but realistically, all you can do is be prepared.

If you are doing a threat analysis of neighborhoods, areas, regions, etc… that is fine. But that should be a pure go/no-go analysis. Not a go armed/no-go. I mean, seriously - If you wouldn’t go there without a gun because it’s too dangerous, then don’t go there with a gun. Just stay away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

No coffee?

Yeah, my whole day would be ruined. 

I'm carrying for the first time tomorrow. I'm in food sales so I'll be on the road alot. I screenshotted the places I'm allowed to be to avoid any issues. 

23 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

Carrying becomes a part of you.  Wake up in morning it's wallet keys knife gun.  The only time I don't carry is work because it's a policy or if I know I'm going out to have drinks

We can carry and be at places that have alcohol no? 

Or can you just not carry cause you  actually will have a drink? 

3 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah, my whole day would be ruined. 

I'm carrying for the first time tomorrow. I'm in food sales so I'll be on the road alot. I screenshotted the places I'm allowed to be to avoid any issues. 

We can carry and be at places that have alcohol no? 

Or can you not carry if you actually had a drink? 

Not sure of legality but I will not carry if I plan on drinking alcohol.  But I don't drink very often

• Like 1

Just now, Vdep217 said:

Not sure of legality but I will not carry if I plan on drinking alcohol 

I actually just googled it out of pure curiosity.  Has this been addressed? I'm not a big drinker but I occasionally have one or 2 out with dinner. 

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm also not gunna lie, It will feel very weird legally walking around with a concealed carry. It will definitely take some getting used to. 

I've carried for years going to Arizona to a friend's house also carried in florida fishing.  So finally being able to carry in my home state is nice

• Like 1