M1152

NJ LAWMAKERS ANNOUNCE PLANS TO DESTROY RIGHT TO CARRY

5 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Totally makes sense to me.

(non-political take)

Punt to the judge who has already done the work and issued an opinion on the majority of the issues.

(political take)

Punt to the judge who is apparently willing to stick their neck out on an unpopular issue, and get it off your future resume.

I agree, an opinion has already been written, why recreate.  Also I don't know if folks are familiar with Williams she is not left wing.  Her jurisprudence is quite centered.  In fact Dem's really didn't want her on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spartiati said:

Anthony has indicated the consolidation into Koons, that means it is Bumb's case now.  This is exactly what we wanted.

It’s a beautiful day. 

1 minute ago, kc17 said:

So no ruling on the request for TRO in the Seigel case? Bumb will rule on it?

Bumb has it all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

From ANJRPC:

January 12, 2023. Today, in a stunning development, the judge in ANJRPC's case to overturn NJ's carry-killer law consolidated ANJRPC's lawsuit into the other case that is pending on certain overlapping issues. The judge in that other case has already issued a temporary restraining order halting enforcement of certain aspects of the carry-killer law, and has already thoroughly analyzed and resolved many of the issues needed to make a decision on the remaining portions of ANJRPC's case. The consolidation of the two cases was requested by ANJRPC. The move likely signals more bad news for the fate of Governor Murphy's carry-killer law.

Gun owners were well-represented by ANJRPC counsel Dan Schmutter, who made a number of powerful and compelling arguments. The State of New Jersey was represented by the Attorney General's office.

CLICK HERE to see the key papers filed in the case so far, including the recent decision and order in the other case halting enforcement of certain aspects of the carry-killer law (see items 5 and 6).

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I'm also reading in her brief to Williams, Cai said The Court (Bumb) got the ruling in the Koons case wrong and does not understand the 2A or NJ State law. I paraphrased that, without the transcript in front of me. 

From another member when talking about how now the case is kicked back to Judge Bumb: I’m sure Ms. Cai certainly isn’t going to regret adding this line to her Siegel brief: “…as to the five challenges to identical provisions of New Jersey law, the Koons Court erred in its understanding of the Second Amendment and of state law, and this Court should avoid those mistakes.”

OOPSIE!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I'm also reading in her brief to Williams, Cai said The Court (Bumb) got the ruling in the Koons case wrong and does not understand the 2A or NJ State law. I paraphrased that, without the transcript in front of me. 

would love to see Bumb mention this to Cai at next hearing LOL

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

OOPSIE!

Yeah, Cai isn't as smart as people seem to think. She may not have many solid arguments to make, but she could at least not offend the judge she now has to convince. 

There are ways to make the same point without offending the court. 

• Agree 1

Just now, xXxplosive said:

...ever hear of the word "Appeal"........your gonna her it more and more......omo.

Are you an attorney?  I am, thanks for the lesson though.  Is your desire to see the TRO stayed?  If so, why are you here?  I suppose to keep us all grounded in our expectations.  Thanks for that...

• Thanks 1
  • FacePalm 1

From another member when talking about how now the case is kicked back to Judge Bumb: I’m sure Ms. Cai certainly isn’t going to regret adding this line to her Siegel brief: “…as to the five challenges to identical provisions of New Jersey law, the Koons Court erred in its understanding of the Second Amendment and of state law, and this Court should avoid those mistakes.”

It is not quite as damning as you might think - this is essentially what NJ will be saying when they appeal it to the 3rd Circuit.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

It is not quite as damning as you might think - this is essentially what NJ will be saying when they appeal it to the 3rd Circuit.

You wouldn't say "the court doesn't understand x y z"

You would say you disagree with their understanding. 

Another point, if a judge can't understand NJ state law, then how the hell could anyone else? Not smart. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

You wouldn't say "the court doesn't understand x y z"

You would say you disagree with their understanding. 

My thinking as well. Similar to how Alito and Thomas told the Second Circuit they got it wrong, without actually saying it. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, kc17 said:

And celebrate the small victories that so many have fought so hard to achieve. 

This really is great news for us.  We got the judge who already smacked the State around and already ruled in 2A's favor vs a Biden apointee judge.  It's certainly far from over and nothing is set in stone, but the alternative was worse, so this really is the best outcome at this juncture.   Def having a celebratory drink tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3